AOA status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crusher

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Quick question....at my school I'm told that towards the end of the third year they induct like 10 students into AOA that are like super good -- all honors, etc... Then in the fourth year they induct the remainder. My question is say you are applying for an early match...wouldn't your application go in before you know your AOA status....so do you like send an update or something?? Confused....

Members don't see this ad.

Yes in my case I am speaking of the San Fran matching program which handles ENT, Neuro, Neurosurg and I believe Optho, maybe Uro (i think they have their own though)...not totally sure on all that.

You match in January for most of these programs vs. march. In some instances you may have to participate in NRMP as well for prelim year, and in others not at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
urology has its own match service; ophtho, ortho, neuro, neurosurg, and ENT go through the San Francisco match.

here at my school AOA evaluation and reflection on official transcripts is usually completed by the end of August, so the early Match people may be out of luck. the induction ceremony occurs some time later.

maybe you can send another transcript or a Dean's letter stating your newly acquired AOA status. i think for the earlier matches, you have to have your application filled out, ideally, by the end of july, maybe august at the latest, right?

g'luck
-s.
:)

The way I understand all the ERAS stuff is that you can change anything in your application until you certify it. After that, you can change only your profile information, which contains AOA status (choices for that are AOA, AOA status determined after deadlines, or no AOA at your school)

I'm not participating in an early match, so I don't know about that. I'm sure there must be some mechanism for updating them, even if you have to notify evey program by mail should you be fortuante enough to be elected.

Don't necessarily believe that the 3rd year picks are the highest GPA. Rumors abound at my school that the GPA cutoff for being eligible in the 3rd year was lowerd for us by faculty who wanted to be able to include some specific individuals. I can't verify any of that, of course, (however, I suspect it may be at least partially true based on bits and pieces of fairly reliable information)
but realize that AOA is likely to be as political as any other organization at your school.

Thanks for the info guys...

I have learned from our student affairs dean that the early induction is pretty much straight "all honors" which usually equals around 5-10 people.

Then later they do the remainder...the top 20% or so are nominated and then of those they then look at stuff like outside work and research and stuff...the political stuff could play in here too...

That is the word on my school....guess its different at others.

In many cases you will find out you have (or have not) been elected to AOA after you've sent in your SF Match application.

Generally, this is not a problem, as you can forward AOA letters to the programs of your choice.

There's always the possibility, however, that a program may dump your application into the trash if you've not (yet) been elected to AOA. (Personally, I think those programs aren't worth applying to if they aren't understanding of this.)

Agreed, you can send more info later.

Just ask your school exactly what you're supposed to do, or ask the SF Match people. Shouldn't be a problem.