AOA Survery (what the hell are they thinking?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is this tied to licensure? Otherwise, can it just be ignored?
Between the yellow form for ACGME info put in your AOA profile (who cares?) and the white and blue Census ones, they try to get a ton of info from you that they can use for fundraising and other BS. I was being slightly facetious in my previous post, but it's one more piece of BS to deal with as a DO rather than an MD. These geniuses won't accept info on an ACGME program from you or another party; only the program itself and your Program Director actually will have to sign it. They make it look and sound really bad if you don't do it. The sooner you get used to giving the AOA the middle finger, the better for you.

Who could blame a program for not wanting to deal with all of the AOA BS? It's not the students they often have the problem with, it's the AOA or the NBOME and its horrible tests.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are they nly asking students? Don't they think that DOs practicing for over 20 years have sem thoughts on this topic?

Are you still a member of the AOA and do they have your email address? That may play a role.

Below are some of the questions they are asking students in regards to a national awareness campaign they want to do. A perfect example of why we need to get rid of the old guard in the AOA and get some people in there who aren't so extreme in their drive to separate the professions and alienate us as DOs.

"I believe a national awareness campaign should:

Focus on how DOs differ from MDs

Focus on how DOs are better than MDs

Focus on how DOs are equal to MDs

Let consumers know that DOs are the best-trained physicians"

Seriously, wtf.

Once you understand that organized osteopathic medicine is really just a cult of "true believers", you will no longer be surprised by things like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you understand that organized osteopathic medicine is really just a cult of "true believers", you will no longer be surprised by things like this.

This will be passed out at the next AOA meeting:

Attachments

• shun_the_non_believer_shuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn_button-p145768124147299861en8go_400.jpg
    shun_the_non_believer_shuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn_button-p145768124147299861en8go_400.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 99
Let me see if I understand this: as a DO, if you go into an ACGME residency, the AOA makes you fill out a form about why you didn't go into an AOA residency? And what if you don't? What happens? I though that if you go into an ACGME residency you are no longer dependent on the AOA for licensing?

really like this post...

Don't give up so easily,

Unfortunately DO's continue to shoot themselves in the feet on attempts at progress in this area. The reasons for this are primarily due to the boys club structure of the AOA leadership. Its not democratic representation of the DO populations wishes. The AOA is dictated by crusty OMMers and their brain washed spoon fed proteges that lapped up the Kool-Aid.

We are seeing real issues here in terms of DO students being shut out of residencies and ACGME/LCME doing more and more to restrict our access to training and opportunities.

A degree that a designation change is not the ultimate solution but believe that it is a step in the right direction. A step toward more broad recognition of our training and what we actually do vs being represented by a small part of our training.

I have heard a program director state that he wanted to not have as high a number of DO's in the next residency class as to not send a signal of being a weak program.

We are sold the line of "strengthening the DO brand". People, we're not merchandise, we're doctors.

This is not about confidence in ourselves or our training. This is about a designation that recognizes what our training really is. And for those of you impassioned first and second year students being trained in OMM. I know it seems like its really going to be something you use a lot of and that is really significant. I've been hard on OMM, I'll admit for acute musculoskeletal strains I think it has a place in soft tissue work but it's effects and capacities are far overstated and as practicing doctors this one small area of out training should not define our degree designation outright.
I for one have always been in favor of the title MDO as it adds the medical designation but retains the osteopathic portion. I think it is a more accurately representative title.

Let me see if I understand this: as a DO, if you go into an ACGME residency, the AOA makes you fill out a form about why you didn't go into an AOA residency? And what if you don't? What happens? I though that if you go into an ACGME residency you are no longer dependent on the AOA for licensing?

I'm doing an ACGME IM residency and I never got one of those forms. I do, however, get multiple letters from Chicago telling me that my AOA dues are late and they are going to ban me from any future meetings if I don't pay soon... I've received 'second notice', 'third notice', 'sending to collection agency', 'we're not playing with you, we have your cat'... I don't have a cat...

I'm doing an ACGME IM residency and I never got one of those forms. I do, however, get multiple letters from Chicago telling me that my AOA dues are late and they are going to ban me from any future meetings if I don't pay soon... I've received 'second notice', 'third notice', 'sending to collection agency', 'we're not playing with you, we have your cat'... I don't have a cat...

Holy crap, I am going to laugh my ass off when those notices start coming to me.

Just a random thought, to practice in the 3 or 4 states or whatever that would require res 42, would you have to also pay AOA dues beyond having res 42 approved? That would be horrible if the state licensing board was somehow tied to being an AOA member in good standing. I doubt it is.

:ROFL: I thought it was all srs until the cat part. Wait... not srs right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Holy crap, I am going to laugh my ass off when those notices start coming to me.

They get annoying after a while. You would think that after the second or third notice, they would figure out you have no interest in being a member. My membership fees aren't 'Past Due'. I simply used them to fund things in which I am more interested. But I guess they are hoping to catch you in a moment of post-call, Scotch-fueled weakness. To be fair, the ACP has a knack of sending me a 'Past Due' notice every other month, only to send me an email saying my program has paid my membership. I swear it's all a government operation... :rolleyes:

Just a random thought, to practice in the 3 or 4 states or whatever that would require res 42, would you have to also pay AOA dues beyond having res 42 approved? That would be horrible if the state licensing board was somehow tied to being an AOA member in good standing. I doubt it is.

I have no idea on that one. I don't have any desire to practice in the special 4. It wouldn't surprise me if AOA membership were a condition for the osteopathic state board to grant licensure in those states. As I understand it, you have to be an AOA member in good standing to be board certified by any of the osteopathic specialty colleges. Why wouldn't the state boards think they have the power to require the same?

:ROFL: I thought it was all srs until the cat part. Wait... not srs right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

You're right. I'm not serious about having a cat. Strictly pups in my house. ;)