AOA waiver in Mich?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in one of the five states that require an internship year. I am really considering a psychiatry residency, but there aren't too many in Michigan. If I petition the AOA for a waiver to do do an allopathic residency(there are many more to choose from in Mich), can I still practice and be licensed in Mich?
I really don't want to have to do an extra internship year.

Members don't see this ad.

futuredo32 said:
I live in one of the five states that require an internship year. I am really considering a psychiatry residency, but there aren't too many in Michigan. If I petition the AOA for a waiver to do do an allopathic residency(there are many more to choose from in Mich), can I still practice and be licensed in Mich?
I really don't want to have to do an extra internship year.

Yes - It will just require some extra work. I have a friend, however who got SHAFTED out of several psych interviews because the folks in Michigan seem to believe she must have the internship year and told her that. Your fight will not be in the residency necessarily, but getting the interview.

As a future pediatrician, the one MD program I applied to in Michigan didn't care if I did my AOA approved internship year or not and was willing to work with me if I want to do a few months of adult medicine to get the requirements done.

good luck

Thank you so much. Glad things worked out for you and sorry to hear your friend got such a raw deal.