AOA's response to "The Soprano's"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSafur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just browsing through the AOA's website for members/students and I came across a letter that the AOA sent to HBO regarding their ignorance of the DO profession. They urge all students and other medical professionals to get involved and send a letter to HBO (they include a sample letter). Visit:

http://www.aoa-net.org/Students/students.htm

to learn more and get further information. Help raise people's knowledge about DO's.

Members don't see this ad.

Good deal, I sent an email

Toran

This is what I wrote them:

This letter is in regards to the March 11 episode of The Sopranos. The letter is in regards to the comment made about Osteopathic Medicine.

While I understand that a show must convey realism in its episodes, I feel that the comment made regarding Osteopathic Medicine was in error. It is true that the general public considers a career in Osteopathic Medicine something of a lesser challenge, but I assure you that this is a pure misconception that should be explained. I feel that when Popular Culture tends to create a label regarding a certain profession, impressionable minds tend to agree with the misconception without any validity to the statement, therefore perpetuating a misconception. I urge you to realize that there are mass amounts of professionals working to erase this stigma, and hope that you can work to help their cause.

Thank you for your time.

--

I remind all, however, that even though this shouldn't have happened, the show is about a bunch of uneducated, murdering mafia bigots. They're supposed to be stupid.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Kidterrific-

That was a fantastic reply! I think I'll go get on the AOA website and post one also.

-Nathan (UHS '05)

Hey there...

What exactly was this disparaging comment? I didn't see that episode of The Sopranos. Even though they only made a few, I was more of a Tenacious D kind of guy...

Thanks for the update.

Wheels