Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AOA's response to "The Soprano's"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MSafur, Mar 27, 2001.

1. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was just browsing through the AOA's website for members/students and I came across a letter that the AOA sent to HBO regarding their ignorance of the DO profession. They urge all students and other medical professionals to get involved and send a letter to HBO (they include a sample letter). Visit:

http://www.aoa-net.org/Students/students.htm

to learn more and get further information. Help raise people's knowledge about DO's.

2. Toran

Toran Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Good deal, I sent an email

Toran

3. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This is what I wrote them:

This letter is in regards to the March 11 episode of The Sopranos. The letter is in regards to the comment made about Osteopathic Medicine.

While I understand that a show must convey realism in its episodes, I feel that the comment made regarding Osteopathic Medicine was in error. It is true that the general public considers a career in Osteopathic Medicine something of a lesser challenge, but I assure you that this is a pure misconception that should be explained. I feel that when Popular Culture tends to create a label regarding a certain profession, impressionable minds tend to agree with the misconception without any validity to the statement, therefore perpetuating a misconception. I urge you to realize that there are mass amounts of professionals working to erase this stigma, and hope that you can work to help their cause.

Thank you for your time.

--

I remind all, however, that even though this shouldn't have happened, the show is about a bunch of uneducated, murdering mafia bigots. They're supposed to be stupid.

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

4. nathan

nathan Member
    10+ Year Member

Kidterrific-

That was a fantastic reply! I think I'll go get on the AOA website and post one also.

-Nathan (UHS '05)

5. Wheels2000

Wheels2000 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey there...

What exactly was this disparaging comment? I didn't see that episode of The Sopranos. Even though they only made a few, I was more of a Tenacious D kind of guy...

Thanks for the update.

Wheels