AP Bio credit - time to panic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzxxzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, long story short, I stupidly didn't check whether schools accept AP credits for bio before submitting my first round to schools. I'm suddenly worried this will be a big problem, as 3 of the schools I applied to so far say they do NOT accept AP Bio credit.

My situation:
  • Took AP Bio in HS, got a 5 = year of credit.
  • Took an unrelated bio course (a 100-level bio prereq at my school but not for med schools) freshman year.
  • Did not take another bio course for 3 years - long story, pursued another field.
  • Postbacc - sat in on bio 102, got an A in bio 103. Did this as a refresher, since I hadn't taken bio in so long.
  • Since then, I've taken a year's worth of A&P, Genetics, Cell Bio, and Micro Bio. Genetics and Cell Bio were 200-level courses, Microbio was a 300. I'm taking another 2-3 biology/biochem courses this coming year.
Thus, I have a year of biology. But not of freshman bio. I'm worried that the fact that I had AP credit and also took one of the intro bio courses anyway will throw schools off. Should I just cross these schools off my list?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, just realized this should probably be in the pre-med forum :oops:

No you're fine. If you have AP credits, most schools just recommend you take upper-level courses in that subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok whew...I originally thought this (a year of bio classes, not just intro) and my advisor didn't say anything...IDK, it's that time when people start freaking about their primaries I guess.