AP Calc credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smcin001

Not So New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched the fourms but haven't really found a direct answer for my question. I took my AP Calc credit and opted out of the first quarter, but now my counselor tells me that I may need another Calc class to meet the math req for most med schools. Is she correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the med school-- If you are thinking of the very selective schools you'd better take a semester for a grade. I relied on a 5 on BC and took statistics- happy with my acceptances but I think it hurt me at some schools.

It depends on which AP Calc you took AB or BC. And also on the med schools you are applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've searched the fourms but haven't really found a direct answer for my question. I took my AP Calc credit and opted out of the first quarter, but now my counselor tells me that I may need another Calc class to meet the math req for most med schools. Is she correct?

AP Credit seems to be most sensitive an issue with the University of California (UC) schools.

For many of them, you need one year of math: one semester of calc, one semester of stats. AP credit is not valid.

Like others have said, it depends upon the school. I APd out of 2 semesters of Calculus (credit shown on my transcript) and it didn't prevent me from being accepted (although, to be fair, I took at least 4 (and maybe more -- that's all I can remember right now!) additional semesters of math anyway.)

Like others have said, it depends upon the school. I APd out of 2 semesters of Calculus (credit shown on my transcript) and it didn't prevent me from being accepted (although, to be fair, I took at least 4 (and maybe more -- that's all I can remember right now!) additional semesters of math anyway.)

Hmm, not having a pre-req wouldn't prevent an acceptance. It will prevent matriculation though. I'd check with the school to be sure you have all the required courses.