Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AP Calculus, need to take anyway?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rcd, Dec 20, 2005.

1. rcd

rcd .2K Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I recall a thread back here where some people claimed some med schools would not take AP credit for required courses. Is that correct? I talked to my advisor and she said no, but I'd kind of like some confirmation...

2. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated
    10+ Year Member

Depends on the school. Most of the schools are willing to take AP credits for English and History provided that your college transcript reflects these AP classes as credits allowed. I am not sure about the science classes but if you did get AP credits for let's say Bio or Chem, it is highly recommended that you take more advanced level courses in those areas.

3. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I agree with Rayhan, but just to add a little: AP Calc will help you get into college but it will have little effect on your med school app. But take it anyway and then re-take Calc your freshman year. It'll give you an easy A in a math class (these are good, by the way). Depending on your major you may have to take calc intensive classes as an upperclassman anyway (P. Chem, Engineering Anything), so the fresher it is in your mind the better.

4. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you don't want to slag through another year of basic calc, consider taking courses in multidimensional calc and differential equations. They're both very useful subjects in their own right and really aren't that difficult if you have a basic understanding of differential and integral calculus.

Edit: I forgot to mention that taking those courses will satisfy the math requirement for med school, assuming you've taken AP calc.

5. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Some schools don't even take the AP credit. I had to take Calc over again..

6. shantster

shantster Eye protection!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Check out the schools that you are interested in. Some of them want you to take it again, some of them will accept the credits for a year as long as you take a semester of upper level calc, some of them won't care and accept the AP credits. Actually, a lot of schools besides the top ones don't even require it.

7. Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had AP Calc credit, so I took multivariable so med schools would know I was capable of doing college-level calc. It hasn't been an issue.