AP course requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silverfalcon

Do It
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The topic came up before this is slightly different since I don't know how much activities that go on your senior year matter as far as AMCAS are concerned.

I'm currently junior, who's finalizing his schedule for spring. I received AP credits for Calculus I & II because I scored 5 on AP Calculus BC exam in high school. Pre-Health Chairman once told me to take a college math, so I'm registered for Prob & Stat for next spring.

The issue is, I don't want to take it because I found another course that interests me. I wonder if it'll be an issue to postpone Prob & Stat for fall of senior year. I'm still waiting for Chairman's response as far as committee letter goes, but honestly, I don't think taking Prob & Stat now or later won't make a big difference in my application. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

some schools won't accept AP credits. that's why I think your pre-health chariman recommended you to take prob&stats. your senior courses and grades in undergrad do matter before you start med school so it's best to take prob&stats :thumbup:

some schools won't accept AP credits. that's why I think your pre-health chariman recommended you to take prob&stats. your senior courses and grades in undergrad do matter before you start med school so it's best to take prob&stats :thumbup:

Awesome. Yeah I got email back from my pre-health chairman, and he said I don't have to take it as long as AP credits do show up on my transcript. It looks like there ARE some schools that do not accept AP credits, even for math.

I don't get it though. Seems like asking like college athletes to take gym courses to graduate - doesn't surviving upper level sciences using calculus show that you can handle math? Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats isn't the type of thing that you really need to show up on your transcript for med schools to look at you favorably. That's reserved for mostly science classes. If your science GPA doesn't have a whole lot of courses in it and you want to boost it a little prior to application, you should take it now, otherwise, putting it off won't make much of a difference.

All the schools I applied to accepted AP - and that's a lot of them!

But did you check your transcript to see if it says AP Calc - usually they don't mention the specific course. On my transcript, it just says the total credits I earned from AP Exams (in which case you have to get a letter from your adviser)

All the schools I applied to accepted AP - and that's a lot of them!

But did you check your transcript to see if it says AP Calc - usually they don't mention the specific course. On my transcript, it just says the total credits I earned from AP Exams (in which case you have to get a letter from your adviser)

I looked into this list for AP Math Requirements, and most schools accept AP credits. I think exceptions weren't that many, and only schools I recall off my head are some in UC's - but not even all UC's do that. I did find, surprisingly, that some schools allow math requirements to be substituted with computer sciences. That's something I never heard before.

I'm pretty sure my transcript says the course numbers, course name, and say that they are "TR" (transferred) via AP.

@mvenus929: I agree completely. I'm a Chem major so I don't really need extra science courses, especially considering I'm taking additional bio courses to get ready for second MCAT. I suppose the only benefit (other than obvious reason of being able to use stats) of taking stats would be to raise my BCPM GPA.