AP/CP vs AP & CP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atropinedoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone tell me what are some of the advantages in doing a combined AP,CP program than just doing a AP only or CP only? jobwise which is better? And do all three types of programs take 4 yrs?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a resident, so the more experienced members of the group would probably be most able to answer your question, but I'll give it a shot.

Combined AP/CP is 4 years in length, and I think it's the more popular route to take; having the combined certification can make you more marketable.

AP or CP only are each 3 years in length. I think I remember reading on this forum that AP only may be useful for someone who strictly wanted to practice academic pathology...maybe someone with a little more knowledge could add more info (or correct any wrong statements)?

Yep, Brian is right.

Unless you know absolutely you do not want to do private practice you should do AP/CP.

If you only do AP or CP you limit yourself mostly to academics.

If you are going to do forensics you can do AP only as well. But, I still advise both. It will help you in forensics to understand the chemistry/toxicology. Also, in case you burn out and decide to become a general path doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pumpkin,

one can always choose to do the CP later, correct? Let's say somebody did an AP, then how many years extra would the CP be? 1 year? 2 years?

cheers

I think it would be two years if you went back.

Though you may find it difficult to get a residency spot at a top institution, due to funding issues.