1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AP credit accepted for admissions requirements?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by abs39, Jan 6, 2002.

1. abs39

abs39 Member
    7+ Year Member

There is a topic earlier about AP credit being accepted for the English requirement, but I am interested in which schools accept AP for science requirements as well. If anyone knows a school that either does or does not accept it, I would appreciate it if you could post it here. Also, does anyone know if schools that accept it still look down on these applicants? Thanks...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think that most schools will let you use AP credit to satisfy 1 semester (if you got a 4 or a 5 on the exam) of their requirements, though I am sure that there are exceptions... your best bet is to check with individual schools (make sure that your AP credits are listed on your official college transcripts to avoid future headaches)

From their "requirements checklist" Harvard will allow you to use AP credits to satisfy one semester of Inorganic Chem, Physics, and Calculus (NO AP credit accepted to English.)

4. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Here are the ones I know of:

Accepts AP credit:
    NY Med
    Einstein
    Albany
    Pittsburgh
    MCP Hahnemann
    Jefferson
    Temple
    USC-Keck
    Medical College of Virginia
    George Washington
    NJ Medical
    Robert Wood Johnson

Does not accept AP credit:
    Medical College of Wisconsin

It is my understanding that most places accept AP credit for prerequisites both science and English but there are the places I have experience at.

5. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh and to comment on what Jessica said--these schools I listed you can as much credit for AP as you have. For instance, if you got Bio AP credit and your undergrad institution gave you 2 semesters worth of credit, the med school will recognize this and give you 2 semesters worth to fufill your whole bio requirement.

6. b-real

b-real What, me worry?
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does that mean that they take courses with "CR" instead of a letter grade? The reason I am asking is because I have two semesters of English credit through AP. My university gave me an "A" for first semester of English (AP 5) and I chose "CR" instead of a "B" for second semester (AP 4).

7. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow that's cool you got to get an A in the class with AP credit--they don't allow that at my undergrad school you just get credit.

I did not get a grade simply credit (or I guess CR as you mentioned) and it counted towards my prerequisites. It just doesn't get averaged into your GPA.

8. b-real

b-real What, me worry?
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Many thanks, megkudos!