AP credit and Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad06

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am concerned if most medical schools accept AP credits from high school that are on college transcript. For courses like Calculus, Biology, and Chemistry; does that mean that I have to take it in college even if I had AP credit from high sch. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I took sooooo many AP classes from high school... and ended up having sophomore status. Harvard and Caltech I know doesn't accept AP credit. Other schools let you skip out on a lot of intro classes. Med schools still wants you to take class requirements even though you have AP. You are expected to take harder classes... (great isn't it? :rolleyes: ) Well hopefully all those APs will help you complete your major so you can spend more time on ECs, hard classes, and... fun??

Texas Tech Med School does. I finished my undergraduate degree in 2 years; I had 66 hours of AP credit upon matriculation as an undergraduate (I started as a junior). I'm now entering med school this August at 20 y/o. I'm sure med schools don't care so much that you APed out of preliminary courses as much as they care about how well you performed in the upper-level classes that you opted to pre-req with your APs.

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as AP credit goes, unless you take upper division classes and the SAME NUMBER of credit hours for each to make up for the AP courses (e.g., quantum mech. for physics or p-chem for chem, etc.) you can at least forget about Vanderbilt and UCLA--if anyone knows for sure of any other schools, this might make a good source of information--

best--

just to give my .02.
i also entered in as a 2nd semester sophomore and didn't take any calculus or physics in college b/c i passed out.

but now--- harvard requires one semester of college level physics before you matriculate. even if you took the ap exam.

also columbia requires a full year of physics. ap credit for them doesn't fill their pre-req.
boston is the same.