AP Credit, CLEP, Online Courses.. Good/Bad/Neither?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheppyshep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came into college with 8 hours of AP credit from CHEM 1 + Lab and CAL 1. I then took a CLEP test to get out of ENGL 1010 (Freshman English) and am now considering taking my Literature course this summer as an online class. My advisor seems to think that getting credit for these courses in this "alternative way" may not settle so well with medical school admissions panels. Has anyone ever run across this?

Members don't see this ad.

I came into college with 8 hours of CLEP credit from CHEM 1 + Lab and CAL 1. I then took a CLEP test to get out of ENGL 1010 (Freshman English) and am now considering taking my Literature course this summer as an online class. My advisor seems to think that getting credit for these courses in this "alternative way" may not settle so well with medical school admissions panels. Has anyone ever run across this?

I think that the majority of med schools will accept placement credit if your home institution gives you credit. However, there are a good number that will not. For those schools, I'm pretty sure that advanced coursework in that department will suffice.

Also, I'm not sure online courses are in the same league as AP and CLEP because it's not really placing out of a class. An online class at your home institution is obviously different than one from University of Phoenix.

If you have placement credit, use it. I wouldn't actively try to place out of a bunch of prereqs.

Check with your school, but my transcript didn't indicate one way or another whether a class was online or not, and I took several online courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
With AP course or even community college courses, most schools accept them. However, a few schools do NOT take them. This is what I had to deal with. It is very case by case, but I would say take them over and do it right the first time.

You need to check the schools in which you have an interest. Most will take them with the caveat that the course(s) for which you received AP/CLEP/whatever credit explicitly appear on your transcript. If that is the case, then most schools accept such credit, and I don't think it will hurt your application, so long as your GPA is good.