AP credit Gen Chem and Calc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroiscool42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked with my school's registrar and they said they do not explicitly denote that a certain class was fulfilled by the AP exam. For example, they won't list that " Gen chem 1 was fulfilled by AP chemistry exam." However, it does say that the AP exams gave me units in general. I was also cleared of gen chem and the first and second quarter of calc by my major because of the AP exams. The problem is I don't see how I'll be able to fulfill some of the pre-reqs for schools accepting AP credit if there is no explicit denotation on my official transcript. How should I proceed? Should I take re-take these classes at a CC(my school doesn't allow retakes for classes you receive AP credit in)?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to skip the class you have credits for? Like if you had a 5 on AP Chem, they will not allow you to then take Chem I/II?

I checked with my school's registrar and they said they do not explicitly denote that a certain class was fulfilled by the AP exam. For example, they won't list that " Gen chem 1 was fulfilled by AP chemistry exam." However, it does say that the AP exams gave me units in general. I was also cleared of gen chem and the first and second quarter of calc by my major because of the AP exams.

The problem is I don't see how I'll be able to fulfill some of the pre-reqs for schools accepting AP credit if there is no explicit denotation on my official transcript. How should I proceed? Should I take re-take these classes at a CC(my school doesn't allow retakes for classes you receive AP credit in)?

We're you only going to apply to med schools that accept AP classes? If not, then what's the big deal? Just take another chem class to demonstrate proficiency, if necessary. Or see if taking a year of Ochem demonstrates proficiency. As for the calculus issue, were you going to take stats anyway? Did you need to take a 3rd quarter of calc for your major? What is your major? Are you at a UC?

Members don't see this ad :)
We're you only going to apply to med schools that accept AP classes? If not, then what's the big deal? Just take another chem class to demonstrate proficiency, if necessary. Or see if taking a year of Ochem demonstrates proficiency. As for the calculus issue, were you going to take stats anyway? Did you need to take a 3rd quarter of calc for your major? What is your major? Are you at a UC?

Yes I was going to apply to med schools that accept AP classes and I have already taken stats. I do go to a UC and I don't need a 3rd quarter of calc for my bio major. However, I did get A's in the last two quarters of Gchem and got B+'s in the two gchem labs(2 units each).

Do you have to skip the class you have credits for? Like if you had a 5 on AP Chem, they will not allow you to then take Chem I/II?

The school generally doesn't allow retakes of classes that it considers equivalent for the AP exam score earned. However, they did let me take the second quarter and third quarter of the gen chem series with corresponding labs. Gchem added up to 12 units with lecture and lab which is usually the minimum required for most med schools. I'm just not sure if when they say 12 units minimum they mean 12 lecture units or all together.

The school generally doesn't allow retakes of classes that it considers equivalent for the AP exam score earned. However, they did let me take the second quarter and third quarter of the gen chem series with corresponding labs. Gchem added up to 12 units with lecture and lab which is usually the minimum required for most med schools. I'm just not sure if when they say 12 units minimum they mean 12 lecture units or all together.
I think you're in the clear, they mean all together. Like many schools, including mine, don't even break up the credits between lecture and lab for some prereqs - my Bio and Ochem were just listed as a single 4-credit entry (like Bio 2xx - Introductory Bio with Lab)

Most schools I've talked to will accept additional upper level Chemistry classes if you have AP Gen Chem credit. Stats after taking Calc is fine. Do NOT take calculus at the college level unless you need it for your major (as this could drop your GPA - it's nothing like Calc AB/BC). I took two semesters of OChem and two semesters of Biochem to make up for AP Chem. I am also taking PChem and possibly another chem class in the spring. Do keep in mind that some schools require that your transcript show AP Credit - but that is usually if you *don't* take upper level chemistry classes. Go ahead and take some upper level classes (often two semesters of Ochem and Biochem each suffice), and you should be fine. I think only Columbia recommended taking "Physical Chemistry" which I imagine means any of the physical chemistry courses that are not biologically based, but I'll take PChem just in case (darn you, Columbia).

But remember, if you take gen chem at a CC and are claiming AP credits for it, the class must be marked as a repeat

Can you clarify? Many high school students routinely send their AP scores to their undergrad. The undergrad uploads the credits and in many cases, the student can opt to take the courses anyway. If so, then the school often does not count those AP credits.

Are you saying that even if one's university allows a student to take Bio I and II even though his AP Bio exam 5 gave him credit once the univ uploaded the scores, the taking of Bio I and II will count as a repeat?