1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AP credit on aadsas application

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by yihaej12, Aug 5, 2015.

1. yihaej12

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I know that for the schools that do accept AP, they only accept it if it is listed on my official transcript but my school did list the AP credits but they didn't assign it to a specific course even though I got credit for the specific course i.e. ENG 100 PSY 100 etc.

So when I ordered for my official transcripts to be sent out, I asked the registrar to write an official letter that indicated I got ap credit for those courses since it wouldn't count without it and asked if they could attach it to the official transcript. And they did and on my aadsas application, they verified my coursework and included the courses I listed on there that I had received AP credit from.

My question is, dental schools just look at the info sent from aadsas right? Like, for my case, they wouldn't know I had to have the registrar write a letter?

Im just worried that otherwise it would be void. And I need to know soon because school starts up in a few weeks and I'm currently registered for ENG 100 and PSY 100 (yes, as a senior) because I just figured I should take it and be safe....But if there is no risk of them saying its void, I want to drop the courses because its pointless for me. Im essentially going backwards because I already took upper level english and psy courses. I was just gonna take the 100 courses just to clear the prereqs....

So basically, if it got cleared through the aadsas verification portion and they mailed out my apps, am I in the clear?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. swindoll

5+ Year Member

Obviously you got a credit for a specific course. I don't really get why you had your registrar write that letter... LOL but anyways, don't worry about it! Schools that accept AP's will understand which course each credit corresponds to. It's not like this is their first time dealing with college transcripts ;) good luck!

3. yihaej12

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks for your reply! haha sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear? So on my unofficial transcript (the one available to all the students online via their school web account) listed each course equivalent that I got the AP credit for (ex. English 100, Psych 100) and it also listed my AP scores. So I thought, "Great! All this will be on the official transcript!" But when I asked the registrar if the official included al the details that were on my student account they said no. And some of the schools I'm applying to clearly said that they would only allow AP credits if it was on the official transcript. So I had the registrar write an official letter to accompany the transcript. So hopefully that clears it up.

So...am I safe to drop the english 100 and psych 100 courses that I'm currently registered for? Im just worried that some of the schools will think my AP credits are void because it wasn't on the official transcript. But if aadsas accepted it, the schools will too right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    swindoll likes this.
  4. swindoll

5+ Year Member

Oh ok!! I see what you're asking now! Sorry! Yes, the schools see the courses listed on AADSAS. So as long as they appear on AADSAS, you're good!

yihaej12 likes this.
  5. swindoll

5+ Year Member

Just make sure that the schools you're applying to accept AP credits for their prereqs! Most of them do, but check just in case!

yihaej12 likes this.
  6. yihaej12

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Okay gotcha! Thanks muchooooo.

Also, its a bit off topic, but I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage for having AP credits rather than just taking the actual course?

I was thinking of just taking the eng 100/psych 100 this upcoming semester if there would be a significant benefit to having real course credits as opposed to AP. Its my last year so I have a lot of room for classes so it wouldn't hurt. But if there isn't a big difference, I would of course rather not take them...

7. swindoll

5+ Year Member

I don't think they care about English and Psych. I wouldn't waste your money on retaking them.

yihaej12 likes this.
  8. yihaej12

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Alright thanks a bunch!!!