AP Credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most med schools accept AP credit? I was filling out the secondary for George Washington and they said they wouldn't. I have a semester of English and gen chem in AP credit. Do other med schools also have this policy? Should I retake these courses in college next semester as a senior? I would appreciate any help on this.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

RunMD said:
Do most med schools accept AP credit? I was filling out the secondary for George Washington and they said they wouldn't. I have a semester of English and gen chem in AP credit. Do other med schools also have this policy? Should I retake these courses in college next semester as a senior? I would appreciate any help on this.
Thanks

It varies from school to school. Check out the websites of the schools you are applying to, it is usually there (or in a FAQ section). If no answers come up, you can always get a hold of the school. They are usually more than happy to answer questions. That goes for "retaking" the class as well. Some times, even if they don't accept AP credit, they will allow you to take a higher level class in the same department to fulfill the requirement.

a lot of times, science classes require lab, and you don't get that we AP credit. It can almost always be satisfied by taking an upper level course, but ask about lab requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
a lot of times they say they dont, but if you push for it and have advanced coursework then you'll be fine. for example, i finished my english requirements through APs, but i also had to take a writing intensive to graduate so that sort of filled it. i almost didn't apply to a couple of schools beacuse i was afraid of their AP policies, and ended up being accepted to both. just go for it, they usually will make exceptions.

FYI, the secondary for George Washington says, "Please note that while we do accept AP/IB Credit to fulfill the prerequisites, you may be required to submit further documentation upon request."

No worries!

shortitalian said:
FYI, the secondary for George Washington says, "Please note that while we do accept AP/IB Credit to fulfill the prerequisites, you may be required to submit further documentation upon request."

No worries!

ooops. You're right. How did I get through the MCAT verbal?
Thanks

badlydrawnvik said:
a lot of times they say they dont, but if you push for it and have advanced coursework then you'll be fine. for example, i finished my english requirements through APs, but i also had to take a writing intensive to graduate so that sort of filled it. i almost didn't apply to a couple of schools beacuse i was afraid of their AP policies, and ended up being accepted to both. just go for it, they usually will make exceptions.

How did you do this? Did you talk to the Admissions office or send something with your app? For English, I have AP credit for basic comp, but I took an advanced English course at the university. Even though I only took 3 hrs instead of 6 of advanced English at the university, do you think that would be ok? And also, does biochem count as an advanced chem? I'll call the schools to make sure, but any input would be great.
Thanks a lot :)

RunMD said:
How did you do this? Did you talk to the Admissions office or send something with your app? For English, I have AP credit for basic comp, but I took an advanced English course at the university. Even though I only took 3 hrs instead of 6 of advanced English at the university, do you think that would be ok? And also, does biochem count as an advanced chem? I'll call the schools to make sure, but any input would be great.
Thanks a lot :)
yeah i had AP credit for all chem reqs and some physics as well and it was not a problem. i took biochem, and i think that replaced it. one school seemed so strict about it that i emailed them, and the dean emailed me back and was like, "well we can't really say unless we see your application, but apply anyway." i figured they would just take my money and reject me, but i was interviewed and then accepted. if you're worried you could contact the schools (email the dean, not some admissions secretary). if i were you i'd just not say anything about it unless the school makes an issue of it.