AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutenats08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Have a real quick question for you! Well I started filling out my apps for med school and have one question I am confused about. What should I do with AP credit which I got obviously in high school. Do I need to send a transcript from collegeboard showing that I got the credit or does my college transcript showing credit for it is enough?? Thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

AP credits count only if they show up on your college transcript, so you don't need to send anything from collegeboard showing your AP stuff. Also, you list your AP credits as occuring your first semester of college, not during high school, and enter the course name as "AP Credit: English Comp and Lit", for example.

Thank you!!Okies....also one of my fnds told me that he took courses at a comm. college and that his AP credits showed in that even though he took the AP course in high school....any clue about that? He just confused me :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, you've just confused me as well!

hahaha....okies I think I am just gonna send my college transcript and community college transcript.....hopefully that would work =)

Your AP courses ONLY show up on AMCAS if they are listed on a college transcript. I don't know if it has to be your degree granting institution or if the community college can do that, but you can ensure that at least one of them does give you the credit you earned. If you didn't request it when you started university, you can still request it after the fact (at least at my university) and the AP credit will be retroactively awarded.

Also, you list your AP credits as occuring your first semester of college, not during high school, and enter the course name as "AP Credit: English Comp and Lit", for example.

I was under the impression that you list the courses you got credit for, so if you got a 5 on AP Calc, you got credit for Calc I and Calc II, so you put down your university's label for Calc I and Calc II, and then check the AP credit box at the bottom, leaving out a grade.

If, like my school, your university only labels how many credits you got, you need to include a separate sheet breaking down what those credits are for.

I think it depends on your institution and how they count it. For me, AMCAS just listed it as 'AP Credit' and then how many credit hours were included in that. I believe that's how my university counted it as well--it was at the bottom of the transcript.

I would look at your transcript from your school and see how they list it. That will probably clue you in to how you should include it.

Oh and as an afterthought, when I submitted my AMCAS last year (I'm a reapp), I think I forgot about my AP credit and AMCAS just added it.