AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh no, I'm a senior in college and I just found out that some med schools might not accept AP credit! I received credit for AP courses in physics and gen chem, and I didn't take these courses again in college (since they appeared on my transcript as credit for the basic courses). I did, however, take bio and organic chem in college.

Do you know if most med schools would accept this credit? If not, I guess I know what I'll be doing next year! (Unless it would be possible to take 2 semesters of physics and 2 of gen chem next semester...what do you think?)

By the way, I plan to apply next year...if that wasn't clear...

Thanks,

Karen

Members don't see this ad.

some schools dont accept the AP, some do,if u have taken advanced courses in physics and general chemistry u could call the schools and find out if they will accept it.

I would definitely find out the policies of the schools you want to apply to. If they require you take take those in college, I would suggest taking them next year. Or at least take the first semester of both next semester, and then finish it off next year. That seems like a bit much to cram into one semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only school that wouldn't accept my AP credits was Harvard - I would have had to take a summer physics course. Good thing they rejected me :)

All the other schools I applied to accepted my 4 credits of Calc (I did take Calc 2 in college) and my 10 credits of Physics (I didn't take any Physics in college, unless you count TPR's MCAT physics)

Originally posted by karen44
Oh no, I'm a senior in college and I just found out that some med schools might not accept AP credit! I received credit for AP courses in physics and gen chem, and I didn't take these courses again in college (since they appeared on my transcript as credit for the basic courses). I did, however, take bio and organic chem in college.

Do you know if most med schools would accept this credit? If not, I guess I know what I'll be doing next year! (Unless it would be possible to take 2 semesters of physics and 2 of gen chem next semester...what do you think?)

By the way, I plan to apply next year...if that wasn't clear...

Thanks,

Karen

Yeah, I too took APs for Physics, General Chem, and Math. If medical schools give you a fuss about it after acceptance, you can definitely take them the summer before from what I hear. I just think its dumb that they punish people for taking advanced coursework in high school.

Karen,

There are lots of very good schools that do not care about the AP credit thing (they honor AP credit). My advice is to not waste your time with the handful that don't care about it esp. if you have a bunch of AP credit. What's much more important is to take those courses which you like in your last semester of college because you won't have the opportunity to take that "Shakespearian literature class" again until you're 65 and retired. Food for thought :)

What...is my liberal arts education showing? :) :) :)

I applied to 13 schools. Here are the ones I found accepted and didn't accept AP:

Didn't:
Vanderbilt

Did:
Northwestern
Michigan
Medical College of Georgia
Univ. of Alabama-Birmingham
UNC-Chapel Hill

Not sure, but pretty sure they accept:
UVA
Georgetown
Pitt

No Clue:
Penn
Harvard
Stanford

As you can see, most accept it. Thankfully, I convinced Vanderbilt that many of my engineering classes may as well be physics or chemistry classes (thermo, circuits, statics and dynamics). I did have to take one more bio class (genetics), just to make sure all was good.

hope that helps.

Does anyone know if any of the Texas schools accept AP credit? Doesn't the majority of schools accept AP or CLEP?:confused:

Originally posted by 2badr
Does anyone know if any of the Texas schools accept AP credit? Doesn't the majority of schools accept AP or CLEP?:confused:

I dont know about CLEP, but Im pretty sure most schools accept APs. Those that dont are the rare exception, rather than the rule. Usually they will tell you upon acceptance if you need to take anything else anyway.

Originally posted by 2badr

I think that most schools DO NOT accept CLEP. None of the schools that I applied to accept CLEP (all accepted AP however).

mm. i got seriously screwed over on the AP front. UCLA's application contained this section where you have to check off whether or not you've fulfilled the requirement, and i ended up saying "no" to almost all of them. this is not good. probably would explain why i have not heard from them in 1.5 months. so, for those of you contemplating skipping out of classes with AP credits, I would point you in the other direction. it'd probably be in your interest to take these classes again and do really well and then kick butt on the mcat.

Originally posted by mvervaine
mm. i got seriously screwed over on the AP front. UCLA's application contained this section where you have to check off whether or not you've fulfilled the requirement, and i ended up saying "no" to almost all of them. this is not good. probably would explain why i have not heard from them in 1.5 months. so, for those of you contemplating skipping out of classes with AP credits, I would point you in the other direction. it'd probably be in your interest to take these classes again and do really well and then kick butt on the mcat.

I dont see why you had to say "no" to fulfilling the requirement. Does UCLA specifically say no AP's allowed to fulfill credits?

Its sorta late for most of us to go back and take the intros. All I can say is its REALLY dumb of med schools to want the prereqs if you have already taken the MCAT. They can ascertain your intro class abilities from that test as well as they can from any freshman class.

Originally posted by AegisZero
I dont see why you had to say "no" to fulfilling the requirement. Does UCLA specifically say no AP's allowed to fulfill credits?

Its sorta late for most of us to go back and take the intros. All I can say is its REALLY dumb of med schools to want the prereqs if you have already taken the MCAT. They can ascertain your intro class abilities from that test as well as they can from any freshman class.

yes, UCLA does not recongize APs. and i agree completely that it's really useless. in some subjects i ended up taking higher-level 1-semester classes that 1) as it turned out still didn't fulfill the requirement as i needed a whole year, 2) i absolutely detested.

Generally a good idea to assume that schools won't take AP credits... Don't premed advisors usually say this?

don't worry about your APs. unless your dream school is harvard or columbia. Just get your list of schools that you want to apply to- and then call em up now and ask if they accept AP credit.

Out of 21 schools I was interested in- only 2 schools didn't take AP Physics. Columbia and Harvard. So then you have to decide, if you think it's worth it to take those extra classes -- to enroll.

now for both schools- the requirement is that you have to fulfill those classes before you matriculate not before you apply. So you can still apply, and IF you get into one of those schools- then you can decide if it's worth it.

yes- enjoy college- don't worry about taking physics again.

I would not AP out of an entire subject except maybe Engish provided you have other things in your application (good verbal/writing MCAT scores, English major, etc) that make it clear you can communicate strongly. I took AP physics, chem, and english, and i retook physics in college and took a higher level analytical chem course. I did not take any more english courses, but I am a history minor so I have a lot of writing experience. Schools that did not accept AP courses said they'd basically waive the English requirement, but they definitely seem to be sticklers about the sciences.

I don't know about taking upper level physics, but anal. chem hasn't been that bad at all. just don't take the lab!

Pillowhead,

I don't know what schools you are looking at, but I know vanderbilt told me that whatever class you use to substitute for your AP credit must have a lab (or a lab must be taken in addition). You may have to take anal. lab after all.........

sunny,
oh i did take the lab. that's why i'd say if you can get out of it, do! but maybe that's just my school.

sunny, does GHP soc stud mean anything to you :)

Pillowhead,

While working on a 10 page feminist literature paper, it didn't occur to me who you were :)

If anyone wants to read about "The consequences on women of financially beneficial marriages" PM me.

Time to shower and go turn that it in.........

Originally posted by SunnyS81
Pillowhead,

While working on a 10 page feminist literature paper, it didn't occur to me who you were :)

doesn't surpise me, you DO go to GA tech :p

just joshin ya, sunny :)