AP Credits - DO schools accept but MD do not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keunglh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Quick question concerning AP credits, I've searched for some answers but the consensus is generally about MD schools. However, I was wondering why is that the majority of DO schools accept the AP credits for like gen chem/gen bio and math whereas MD schools do not? Because I've already taken advantage of some of the credits, I'm starting to cross some MD schools off of my list because I just don't have the time to retake the general science classes again and it's really bothering me. Granted that some of the schools were reaches anyways, I wish there was more of a noticeable disclaimer when it came to using the AP credit in college.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro

DO schools - with TCOM as the one exception, I believe - also allow for grade replacement and AACOMAS doesn't include math in the sGPA calculation. If they are, in fact ok with AP credits, I couldn't think why aside from perhaps they don't see why they shouldn't be accepted when applicants demonstrate their capabilities through the MCAT and upper div. science coursework.

Correct

DO schools - with TCOM as the one exception, I believe - also allow for grade replacement and AACOMAS doesn't include math in the sGPA calculation.

They show up on the AACOMAS forms we see in applicant files, so I suppose so. I don't know how MD schools handles them.
If they are, in fact ok with AP credits, I couldn't think why aside from perhaps they don't see why they shouldn't be accepted when applicants demonstrate their capabilities through the MCAT and upper div. science coursework.

Last edited: