AP Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nytp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am using AP Biology credits, so which upper division biology class should I take to prepare for MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

First, make sure that any school you are planning to apply to will take those credits. Some will, some won't. Assuming that it is ok, you will need to take two semesters of an upper level bio with a lab. For the MCAT, I think cell biology, physiology and genetics.

First, make sure that any school you are planning to apply to will take those credits. Some will, some won't. Assuming that it is ok, you will need to take two semesters of an upper level bio with a lab. For the MCAT, I think cell biology, physiology and genetics.

I concur. If you have to leave one of those out, take cell bio and physiology. However, Genetics is more likely to have a lab than either of the other two, at least, that's how it is at my school.

are you guys sure that we're required to take the upper division labs, even if we got AP credits for both the classes and the labs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got AP credits for biology and when I asked my Health Professions Adviser, she said it was OK because since I am a biology major, I will be taking many upper level lectures instead.

My understanding is that it is fine if you are taking upper level biology classes with labs, but I would still check with a couple of the schools I am most interested to be sure (even if just by looking at their website). Pre-health advisors aren't necessarily reliable. If you are a bio major, there should be no worries.

I would only be concerned if you have the AP credits and then decided to take one or two upper level biology classes without a lab component. That might be rejected by some med schools.

what if you have AP credits for the bio lab? My situation is I have AP credits for bio1/2 and bio1/2 lab. I plan on taking the bios again anyways but was told there was no need to take the labs. Granted prehealth advisers aren't necessarily reliable, but any idea how this is looked at?

what if you have AP credits for the bio lab? My situation is I have AP credits for bio1/2 and bio1/2 lab. I plan on taking the bios again anyways but was told there was no need to take the labs. Granted prehealth advisers aren't necessarily reliable, but any idea how this is looked at?

I think your best bet is to call schools and ask them.

A good number of schools, especially for Bio, will want upper division classes with labs, so you can't opt out of the lab credit.