AP Exams are coming up!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mackaikai

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, i guess this post is for all the high schoolers :D

Members don't see this ad.

indeed...memories of totally kicking the AP English test's ass (and having the AP Calc test return the favor....... :mad: )

Members don't see this ad :)
yes those good old days...i kicked butt in AP bio and AP chemistry...too bad the mcat is much different

wow I didn't know there were High school kids on SDN. I guess they wanted to get a 3 year head start on the application process. How long has SDN been around? Are there people here that started getting on SDN in high school and ended up going to med school? Thats alot of years of reading people freaking out about hearing back from med schools :)

autobot said:
wow I didn't know there were High school kids on SDN. I guess they wanted to get a 3 year head start on the application process. How long has SDN been around? Are there people here that started getting on SDN in high school and ended up going to med school? Thats alot of years of reading people freaking out about hearing back from med schools :)

I was here in high school, but I am only a freshman now. So I suck.

dang, i remember getting a 2 on AP Bio and a 3 on AP Chem and AP Calc BC

i really sucked at taking AP exams ;o

haha i took 4 AP classes my senior year (calculus, spanish, biology, english) but i chose not to take any of the exams. Now i kind of wish i would have just to see what i would have got ;p. Good luck to all of you out there and don't worry if you do bad, it just means that the class in college will be even easier for you to get an A in!

Ahhhhhh.... the good old days of AP tests. After we took the AP test we could watch movies for the next couple of weeks in that class. Great fun....

And AP tests aren't even that useful, especially in science where we have to retake like all of them...

hamhamfan said:
And AP tests aren't even that useful, especially in science where we have to retake like all of them...

I dunno, APs were really useful to me. Get to place out of all the basic science classes full of gunner premeds and go straight to the interesting stuff.

Gleevec said:
I dunno, APs were really useful to me. Get to place out of all the basic science classes full of gunner premeds and go straight to the interesting stuff.

I wish I could have done that.
:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I got out of 2 quarters of Econ, Some Government/History crappy requirement, Spanish, a writing requirement, Stats, and got a bunch of elective credit for the others. Had I known which ones were actually useful, I would have been more selective!

hamhamfan said:

Yeah. I took 10 AP tests, and ended up only using the credit for the language ones.

BubbleBobble said:
Ah, I miss those days...

Bubble Bobble!!! I used to be obsessed with that game! Ah, memories ;)

BubbleBobble said:

The "theme" song was great...now I'm going to get it stuck in my head. And the final level was pretty tough, but I was finally able to win (although, I liked the little kids better when they were dinosaurs).

BubbleBobble said:
Yeah. I took 10 AP tests, and ended up only using the credit for the language ones.

Yeah, if I could do it over again, I'd look really carefully at what the schools accept. The teachers hyped up the AP tests so much... and then when I got to college, I realized how little some of them were worth.

BTW, i thought that med schools didn't accept AP scores, so people had to retake the courses.... it's too late for me though

hamhamfan said:
Yeah, if I could do it over again, I'd look really carefully at what the schools accept. The teachers hyped up the AP tests so much... and then when I got to college, I realized how little some of them were worth.

BTW, i thought that med schools didn't accept AP scores, so people had to retake the courses.... it's too late for me though

AP scores were pretty useless. I wound up with tons of credit, but it hasn't done me any good (at our school, even if you get credit for them, you can't place out of any of the classes). However, I have to say that taking the classes was a great help in preparing for college level work.

hamhamfan said:

Med schools accept AP credit, they like to see you take upper level bio and chem courses though. I APed out of the bio, chem, physics, math, and english requirements and I didnt get asked any questions, though one confounding variable is that I did take upper level bio and chem courses. But for the rest, med schools didnt care at all.

Basically, APs didnt get me any significant credit or gpa boost, but it did let me get the heck out of the boring weedout intro classes, which probably saved my sanity. Had to review harder for the MCAT, but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make to avoid being in a boring class full of gunners trying not to get weeded out.

Why is your avatar so adorable.

I placed out of classes b/c of APs too...and no more foreign language in college! I always knew French was useless!

So, I got AP credit for some History classes in college. And on my Status updates every year, the requirement status says "Satisfied." And for 4 years, I was like, "cool, no more history." Then all of the sudden, it's March of my senior year, I'm already accepted to med school, and the Vandy administration sends me a letter saying,
"Vandyfox, you did not complete the history requirements correctly. Sorry, you will not be graduating."
After a lot of wheeling and dealing with administration, they are letting me get out of here with my diploma (sigh).

So to all you highschoolers, make sure you read the fine print of the classes that you AP out of for college. These people have a lot of sneaky ways of terrifying you in the few days before graduation.

Vandyfox

ms2209 said:
AP scores were pretty useless. I wound up with tons of credit, but it hasn't done me any good (at our school, even if you get credit for them, you can't place out of any of the classes). However, I have to say that taking the classes was a great help in preparing for college level work.

My school is great when it comes to AP credit. If you score a 4 or 5, the very least you can get is credit towards graduation (which is why I get to graduate in 3 years easily :luck: ).

Fish3715 said:
My school is great when it comes to AP credit. If you score a 4 or 5, the very least you can get is credit towards graduation (which is why I get to graduate in 3 years easily :luck: ).

Do you go to a public school? One thing Ive noticed is that private schools dont accept much in the way of AP credit to keep students paying tuition for four years, while overcrowded public schools give a ton of AP credit so they can try to get students out of there as fast as possible to solve the overcrowding.

Fish3715 said:

Congrats! But I would still consider staying for a 4th year and taking things that interest you...it'll help you avoid burnout :)

Actually, I go to a small, private, liberal arts college. I just happened to take a lot of AP classes (my senior year everything I took was AP except band :eek: , and during my junior year I also took a couple of AP classes).

Also, I plan on applying to med school after my 3rd year. During the (hopefully one) year between undergrad and med school, I will either work, do research, volunteer and/or take some photography classes at a school near my home where I've taken photo classes before (photography for me is a dearly beloved hobby that I've missed since I've started college). Anyway, the photo department at this school is amazing- classes consist of a lot more breadth (e.g. color slide and negative photography, portraiture, etc) AND are a lot cheaper than my undergrad. I also have room for one or two classes before I graduate that can be more-or-less anything I want.
Thank you for your concern, though :)

DMBFan61 said:
Congrats! But I would still consider staying for a 4th year and taking things that interest you...it'll help you avoid burnout :)

I agree... first of all congratulations for doing well on your AP tests. Next I would second DMBFan61's advice. I have enough credit to graduate in 3, so when I "graduate" I'm going to start taking classes for my MPH. (Got into a MD/MPH program, so I'm pumped about that).

It's cool that you that you have all those AP credits, because that give you a lot of flexibility. My suggestion is to take some interesting classes and enjoy your time at school. That's just my opinion....

Fish3715 said:
I just happened to take a lot of AP classes (my senior year everything I took was AP except band :eek:

:eek: is right... you were a bando? hehe, j/k I sang in choir... :D