Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Most courses with the AMCAS Course Type listed below are not included in AMCAS GPA calculations. Instead, the total hours for each of these categories are reported to medical schools under the heading Supplemental Hours.
 Pass/Fail – Pass
 Pass/Fail – Fail
 Advanced Placement (AP) Credit
 College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
 Other Test Credit
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/54/3c/543c5531-29ce-4049-b278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

It says on Page 8.

Is this true? Is it true that AP grades(points) and P/F courses aren't factored into your GPA?

freak7

Stuck in a tacky hat
2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Yup, aced all my AP classes and now my GPA is garbage. I'd recommend running start.

Reactions: Geo16
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Yup, aced all my AP classes and now my GPA is garbage. I'd recommend running start.
I see. Thank god. Wonder what my GPA would be if they factored int AP scores.
What about Pass/Fail or Pass/No Pass courses? Do they not factored in as well?

freak7

Stuck in a tacky hat
2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I see. Thank god. Wonder what my GPA would be if they factored int AP scores.
What about Pass/Fail or Pass/No Pass courses? Do they not factored in as well?
I don't believe P/F courses are counted either.

Reactions: Geo16
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't believe P/F courses are counted either.
Yay. So what I get in college is only thing that matters (as long as I get As in letter grading system too).

This gives me a hope :)

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it :)

freak7

Stuck in a tacky hat
2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Yay. So what I get in college is only thing that matters (as long as I get As in letter grading system too).

This gives me a hope :)
As long as your college only uses them for placement and not for grades.

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Alrighty. I think I got this. Didn't use any AP scores for placement. I just retook them!
Thank you very much :D

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Some colleges do assign grades for various AP passing scores. But if yours did, the grades conferred would be on your college transcript and you'd know about it.

Reactions: freak7

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Some colleges do assign grades for various AP passing scores. But if yours did, the grades conferred would be on your college transcript and you'd know about it.
Or a simpler way to say it:
If you have a letter grade (A,B, C, D, F) for any course on your official transcript, it will be factored into AMCAS GPA
If you do not have a letter grade for any course on your official transcript, it will not factored in AMCAS GPA

Whatever score you may have earned on an AP exam, Course Placement, etc, is not, repeat not, used towards AMCAS GPA
Only the grades on the official transcripts will be used towards GPA calculation

Reactions: freak7
May 30, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
This would be damning for me. My school let me order whatever exams that I said I would self study for. I took a lot of random AP tests that I had no business taking. I was told that it was cheaper and that you only need like a 50% to pass. The tests are percentile based. It makes it way too easy. I passed them all with at least 3s, If they took into account all AP scores, my GPA would go from great to really bad.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
This would be damning for me. My school let me order whatever exams that I said I would self study for. I took a lot of random AP tests that I had no business taking. I was told that it was cheaper and that you only need like a 50% to pass. The tests are percentile based. It makes it way too easy. I passed them all with at least 3s, If they took into account all AP scores, my GPA would go from great to really bad.
The other Achilles heel in AP exams is how many medical schools do not accept them for complete fulfillment of prerequisite courses. Many of these medical schools have the policy of taking the AP intro class of filling the coursework for that level but not the credit in the subject area. By that I mean, they will accept AP Bio in lieu of General Bio but require that you take additional credits of upper level biology. So if you had passed AP Chem thinking you were done with the subject, you may have to take some advanced course like Physical Chem to get the course credits. With AP, you do get credits on your transcript. However, courses that you place out by exam may not show up on a transcript but simply allow to skip a class and go into a higher level course are actually more problematic as some schools do not accept substitutes courses.

May 30, 2016
Status
The other Achilles heel in AP exams is how many medical schools do not accept them for complete fulfillment of prerequisite courses. Many of these medical schools have the policy of taking the AP intro class of filling the coursework for that level but not the credit in the subject area. By that I mean, they will accept AP Bio in lieu of General Bio but require that you take additional credits of upper level biology. So if you had passed AP Chem thinking you were done with the subject, you may have to take some advanced course like Physical Chem to get the course credits. With AP, you do get credits on your transcript. However, courses that you place out by exam may not show up on a transcript but simply allow to skip a class and go into a higher level course are actually more problematic as some schools do not accept substitutes courses.
Do you know if skipping physics 1 but acing physics 2 fulfills the requirements for schools that ask for an upper level replacement for classes that you've APd out of? Also same concept for English, would an AP credit in comp 1 plus a technical writing course suffice?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Do you know if skipping physics 1 but acing physics 2 fulfills the requirements for schools that ask for an upper level replacement for classes that you've APd out of? Also same concept for English, would an AP credit in comp 1 plus a technical writing course suffice?
1) each school has there own specific requirements and you each on individually on the MSAR and their own website
2) most schools require a year of physics so the second term would not be sufficient
3) depends on how each school's writing requirement is listing. some specifically a year of English and will not accept substitutes

trickydick

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I think this is the reason many undergrads don't give credit for a specific course if you get a 3 or a 4, my school doesn't. You just get miscellaneous credit that helped towards graduation and/or fulfills a gen-ed. 5's get the shaft though by getting course credit without an option to retake. Need physics for medschool? Take 5 upper-level math courses as pre-reqs for upper-level physics classes.

May 30, 2016
Status
I think this is the reason many undergrads don't give credit for a specific course if you get a 3 or a 4, my school doesn't. You just get miscellaneous credit that helped towards graduation and/or fulfills a gen-ed. 5's get the shaft though by getting course credit without an option to retake. Need physics for medschool? Take 5 upper-level math courses as pre-reqs for upper-level physics classes.
Gave up on the math. I got to diffeQ and linear algebra my freshman year but got a B in diffeQ so I'm staying away from that stuff. HW like hell.

trickydick

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Gave up on the math. I got to diffeQ and linear algebra my freshman year but got a B in diffeQ so I'm staying away from that stuff. HW like hell.
a C in Calc 2 my first semester was enough for me... lol