APA accreditation/Licensure Question - location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UhOh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a question about a statement that I saw on the website of one of the programs to which I'm applying.

This is the statement to which I'm referring: "Successful completion (of the program) enables students to apply for licensure as psychologists in Colorado".

This is an APA-accredited program. The reason I'm confused about the statement is because it is specific to Colorado. What if I want to move to another state? I thought that if you went to an APA-accredited program, you could move and be eligible to apply for licensure wherever in the U.S. Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

The APA-acred. part is most important.

I believe that language is in there because they can claim the requirements match up with CO law, though they do not have to agree to match EVERY state's requirements. The program doesn't want to be at the whim of random legislation they have no control over, as it could get costly to offer training that 1 state requires, but the rest do not.

Licensing laws vary by state. APA is generally the "standard" and you will generally be able to be licensed coming out of an APA program in any state in the US. That said, some states may have the occasional odd additional requirement you will either have to fulfill or jump through some hoops to get it waived.

For example, I believe NY requires a "diversity" class. In my program (not NY), nearly all required clinical courses include a substantive diversity/cultural competency component but the semester-long course devoted to it is not required. Thus, to get licensed in NY students either have to take an extra course, or jump through some paperwork hoops (i.e. submitting a syllabus from each of those classes, support letters, etc.) to prove equivalence. I know a few people who have gone through similar processes...it can be a pain in the butt for a little while since most people do not cherish the extra paperwork, but I've never heard of a case where it couldn't be worked out.

I wouldn't worry about something like that too much - if you go to an APA program you will be in good shape to be eligible. If there is a specific state you know you want to practice in I'd look into their licensing laws, otherwise just make sure to keep your syllabus and not burn any bridges with your DCT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most states require regionally accredited degrees for licensure.

I was going to mention NY, but I couldn't remember if it was an extra diversity class or a social bases of behavior/similar class. They are a good example of the odd-ball requirement.

I actually (embarassingly) wasn't aware that the "stand-alone" diversity class wasn't an APA requirement. Our program implemented it a few years ago, stating that doing so was necessary to maintaining APA accreditation; although perhaps that was because they weren't able to show that all other required coursework contained a sufficient amount of exposure to the material...?

Thanks for your input everybody!