APA-accredited psychology doctoral programs on Google Maps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nononora

Dis Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I thought it'd be a good idea to consolidate all APA-accredited programs onto one site, so what better than Google Maps! So in a rare moment of mania (I kid) and altruism :rolleyes:, I sat down for a few hours and came up with the following maps using the 2006/2007 Insider's Guide:

[Links moved below]

There are probably some mistakes in there because it got kind of tedious after a while. And I'm NOT double-entering. :laugh: The numbers behind the names of the colleges are, of course, the informative scale where programs self-rate their clinical/research emphasis, with 1 being very clinically oriented, 7 being very research oriented and 4 being an equal emphasis of clinical and research experience.

My initial idea was to perhaps have a system where anyone could freely update information about any specific program (like GRE/GPA mean, Acceptance rates, whatever) but I was afraid it might become an online "Insider's Guide" which isn't going to be too good for copyright issues. What about links to specific pages in a program's website? Like their funding page, or applicant pool, or graduate outcomes? Let me know what you guys think.

There is definitely room for this to grow... Master's programs are still missing (there are wayyyy too many), as well as School psych/ Education Psych/ I/O Psych etc. Let me know if you want to help out too, and I can add you as a "collaborator" on the maps. Or! I could do this all by my lonesome and take forever :). I'm good either way.

Edit (01/07/08): I've moved all the maps to a separate host which makes them more user friendly. This host lets me change the color of the markers and I'm planning to have different colored markers for fully funded programs and programs with high match rates. I'm also done updating the counseling psych phd/psyd and the combined psych phd/psyd maps. The clinical psych ones should hopefully be done by the end of this month (ugh). Check them out! If you find them useful, please forward it to as many people as possible, like your undergrad adviser or undergrad listserv :D

Edit (03/06/2010): I've reworked the maps to correspond with APA's official accredited programs list. Gone are the Insider's Guide ratings and I've added School Psych programs too. Locations might not be entirely accurate so let me know if you find any mistakes.

Edit (08/19/2011): Updated again as per APA's website. However, I have had to move to a free hosting solution due to cost concerns. I'm aware that there are some programs missing as Google was not able to locate them automatically, so I'll be adding them manually over time.

Soon to come: APA-accredited Internships and Post-Docs

Edit (11/02/2012): Phew, it's been a while! All maps have been updated as of today and moved to www.psychologymaps.com. Please like us on Facebook and spread the word!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I thought it'd be a good idea to consolidate all APA-accredited programs onto one site, so what better than Google Maps! So in a rare moment of mania (I kid) and altruism :rolleyes:, I sat down for a few hours and came up with the following maps using the 2006/2007 Insider's Guide:

Clinical Psych PhD Programs
Clinical Psych PsyD Programs
Counseling Psych PhD Programs
Counseling Psych PsyD Programs
Combined Psych PhD Programs
Combined Psych PsyD Programs

There are probably some mistakes in there because it got kind of tedious after a while. And I'm NOT double-entering. :laugh: The numbers behind the names of the colleges are, of course, the informative scale where programs self-rate their clinical/research emphasis, with 1 being very clinically oriented, 7 being very research oriented and 4 being an equal emphasis of clinical and research experience.

My initial idea was to perhaps have a system where anyone could freely update information about any specific program (like GRE/GPA mean, Acceptance rates, whatever) but I was afraid it might become an online "Insider's Guide" which isn't going to be too good for copyright issues. What about links to specific pages in a program's website? Like their funding page, or applicant pool, or graduate outcomes? Let me know what you guys think.

There is definitely room for this to grow... Master's programs are still missing (there are wayyyy too many), as well as School psych/ Education Psych/ I/O Psych etc. Let me know if you want to help out too, and I can add you as a "collaborator" on the maps. Or! I could do this all by my lonesome and take forever :). I'm good either way.

Holy &$#%#!!

Wow--make this a sticky!!

Nononora,

Nice job.

I zoomed in and was able to see head shots of: RayneeDeigh, T4C, and many other SDNer's! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, you're my hero.

You are my most favorite person in the world!!!:)

woah, cool! Makes it noticeable how many more PhD programs there are versus PsyD! And I like how most of them are all huddled over on the east coast...just looks kind of funny.

Nice job! I agree. This should be a sticky. We need an APA accredited School Ph.D. map as well.

Didn't see it on the map -- it has a clinical program too; it's in Kingston, Ontario

Members don't see this ad :)
Queens is not accredited. It was, but it isn't now.

Thanks for letting me know -- think I remember now that Canadian grad schools in the near future are no longer going to be APA accredited......

this is amazing! Thank you and please sticky!

Hello! I stumbled over the SDN and thought it would be interesting to correspond with other professionals. I have just registered for my very last academic class for spring quarter. YEAH! Of course, I still have dissertation, practicum and an internship to complete but at least I'm a little closer to the end. I will be starting my practicum this summer. Although I am very excited, I'm also very anxious about the process.

PGSP-Stanford consortium and LaSalle University can be added to the clinical psy.d map.

great job!

WOW!!! I had seen this post for quite a while, but had never clicked on it until tonight.....lets just say I was thoroughly surprised and impressed! :)

By the way... how sad am I that there are NO counseling psych. PhD programs in California???

Answer: Very.

UC Santa Barbara has a PhD. Counseling Psychology program that is well-regarded.

By the way... how sad am I that there are NO counseling psych. PhD programs in California???

Answer: Very.

Stanford's school of Ed has an APA accredited doctoral program in counseling psych.

UC Santa Barbara has a PhD. Counseling Psychology program that is well-regarded.
I love UCSB! :), they have a combined program....what I was referring to was that when you click on the link for maps for Counseling Psych PhD programs, nothing comes up.

Incredible work. I had made myself an Excel spreadsheet of all the programs in New York and California with distances from NYC and LA based on the APA book, but this makes everything so much more palatable. Kudos.

This is the greatest thing ever! :D Thanks for making this!

Wow...amazing...phenom...& ditto to all the kudos! :thumbup:

so is California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) not apa accredited since it wasnt on the list on the map. I thought it was?
But thanks, this is great!

so is California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) not apa accredited since it wasnt on the list on the map. I thought it was?
But thanks, this is great!
Correct. They are not.

CIIS (California Institute of Integral Studies) is an APA-accredited school. And so is JFK University, also in California. I wonder if these schools felt through the crack due to their reputation?

CIIS (California Institute of Integral Studies) is an APA-accredited school. And so is JFK University, also in California. I wonder if these schools felt through the crack due to their reputation?

There have been updates throughout, so the OP can add them when he/she sees this.

this is extremely helpful :) thank-you so much for putting this together!!

This is wonderful! It'd probably be useful to spread the word of this map beyond the realm of student doctor forums. I can see this being very useful for anyone out there looking.

Hey ~
I noticed Mississippi State was missing on the map. :)

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I guess I should have checked here first, but I just did something very similar the other day. However, I went off of the list of accredited Psy.D programs (of either kind) on the APA website. So, here's a map with all accredited Psy.D programs except any from Alliant or Argosy and the 2 in Puerto Rico.

Hope this helps someone!

KrisBee

please delete this post, idk if i can :)

Last edited:
I really need help on one question.
It is true that only doctoral programmes are eligible to be accreditated by APA?

Did you include the only APA approved online program, and respecialization program... from Fielding?

7.gif

I am VERY new to this field... coming from a business background.

Can someone please explain the difference between clinical and counseling, and PsyD and PhD?

Thanks in advance

I am VERY new to this field... coming from a business background.

Can someone please explain the difference between clinical and counseling, and PsyD and PhD?

Thanks in advance

Please check out the stickie thread on degree comparisons: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=226002. I can't remember if there is a comparison of Counseling v. Clinical v. School in there, but if not, a quick search of the Psych forum should pull up a plethora of recent threads on the topic.