APA-accredited vs non-APA -accredited?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MR18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have made attempts to understand the difference between APA-accredited programs and non-accredited programs, but I have not received a clear answer.
If I attend a non-accredited program, will I be limited as to where I can work?
Are there any other limitations?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

yes. big time. I can not think of reason that one would attend an unacrediited program many predocotral intehsips require apa that their applicants come from APA accredited programs. Most specialized post-docs (especially in nueropsych) require both apa acredited program and internship. The VA and all fed govt agencies require apa approved programs and intenships. Some states you can not even be licesned if you came from an unaccredited program.

If you are attending one that is not apa aceddited, but is in the process of getting it, you can not claim that you went to an apa accredited program until they officially recieve it. Therefore, if they dont get it before you apply for the APPIC match, you will be in a world of trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is an excellent and fair-minded section on the APPIC website on this topic. You do need an APA-accredited internship for all VA clinical jobs (not all research jobs) and for some federal jobs and in order to be licensed in Oklahoma and Mississippi. There are definite advantages to having the credential and it is definitely the conservative choice in regards to future options.

However, there are times when individuals are geographically restricted or have career plans where APA-accreditation is unlikely to be a critical credential or other circumstances where an individual can actually make a sensible informed choice to complete their requirements at a non-APA site.

There are a good number of quality training sites that simply cannot afford the costs of APA accreditation--typically county and municipal clinics and community based organizations that serve special populations.

So it is not really fair to "discredit" individuals that make this choice or agencies that aren't accredited. They are just different and some disadvantages come with with differences in a hierarchical culture.

There is an excellent and fair-minded section on the APPIC website on this topic. You do need an APA-accredited internship for all VA clinical jobs (not all research jobs) and for some federal jobs and in order to be licensed in Oklahoma and Mississippi. There are definite advantages to having the credential and it is definitely the conservative choice in regards to future options.

However, there are times when individuals are geographically restricted or have career plans where APA-accreditation is unlikely to be a critical credential or other circumstances where an individual can actually make a sensible informed choice to complete their requirements at a non-APA site.

There are a good number of quality training sites that simply cannot afford the costs of APA accreditation--typically county and municipal clinics and community based organizations that serve special populations.

So it is not really fair to "discredit" individuals that make this choice or agencies that aren't accredited. They are just different and some disadvantages come with with differences in a hierarchical culture.

I think the OP was speaking of APA accreditation with regard to universities, not internship sites. Perhaps that is where some of the confusion is coming from.

MR18, the above is good to note because although it is possible to get an APA-accredited internship when you do not come from an APA-accredited program, it is significantly harder to do so. Additionally, there are employers who will not hire those who graduated from programs without accreditation. It's a hirer's market out there and so it will be hampering to fall short of some of the profession's well-known bars.

If you are attending one that is not apa aceddited, but is in the process of getting it, you can not claim that you went to an apa accredited program until they officially recieve it. Therefore, if they dont get it before you apply for the APPIC match, you will be in a world of trouble.

Is this the same for the internship? If it was not apa accredited at the time of the internship year but in the subsequent year it became accredited, can you claim the internship as APA acreddited?

Is this the same for the internship? If it was not apa accredited at the time of the internship year but in the subsequent year it became accredited, can you claim the internship as APA acreddited?
No. The only way you can do that is if they get approved as an APA-acred site during your training time. There are usually multiple visits involved and other paperwork, so unless the site started the process before an intern started, the chances of them being granted approval during that year is slim.

Hi,

I made the mistake of applying to a non-APA-accredited program and had to leave it after 4 years for that reason. The program was rigorous and well-known, 100% of its students get APA-approved internships, and it would have met APA standards had it not been for the small size of the faculty. I realized that the lack of accreditation meant that I could *never* work for any federal agency, from the military to CIA, as a psychologist. Some private and academic jobs also require accreditation. Moreover, the program was actually harder and longer than the typical accredited program, since it had to prep students for APPIC matches with meagre faculty resources. I am now seeking to get into an accredited Ph.D. program, hoping to find one that will accept my coursework.

Bottom line: if you go non-APA, you will end up working harder for worse job prospects. Don't do it.

I stumbled across this article and thought it was worth posting. It is an article written about the pitfalls of attending an internship that is not APA acred or an APPIC program. It is from 2009, but I believe most/all of it is still applicable.

No. The only way you can do that is if they get approved as an APA-acred site during your training time. There are usually multiple visits involved and other paperwork, so unless the site started the process before an intern started, the chances of them being granted approval during that year is slim.

Not to mention a hefty fee that I don't have a viable expletive for on this forum.

Not to mention a hefty fee that I don't have a viable expletive for on this forum.

The associated fees are one area that the APA has stated they would like to make less of a barrier. I don't have the exact wording from them, but I believe it was released in response to additional gov't funding they were able to secure for training. I think the current fee and associated "lost billing" with the current system is prohibitively expensive for many sites, but that is a discussion for another day.

As far as internship goes, I did witness a program that 1st year managed to get a 7 year accreditation before their 1st class graduated. Impressive to say the least. It also is the most hellish, diabolical internship in existence, if the anecdotal evidence gathered from peers outside my program was accurate. Needless to say, I was very excited to graduate that program! I can't argue about it being comprehensive thorough training though, it was unbelievable.

M

Thanks KD! That gives me hope. I had the same question as OP. I read a similar comment on the APA website, deep in the dark recesses of the site.

What people think about my education isn't a guide for me to gauge what school to attend. The problem however, is getting licensed to practice without an APA accredited internship. I will spend the 5 years in school and beg for the internship at the end. It all boils down to salesmanship and I can sell my education if need be. Thanks for the great response!

What people think about my education isn't a guide for me to gauge what school to attend. The problem however, is getting licensed to practice without an APA accredited internship. I will spend the 5 years in school and beg for the internship at the end. It all boils down to salesmanship and I can sell my education if need be. Thanks for the great response!

i totally get what people are saying when they say that they will make ging to a non-accredited program work (or whatever kind of program that is a compromise) and i don't know if there is really another way to think when you are on your side of the fence, the applying to grad school side. all i can say is that 5 years down the road, most people i know are in a different headspace. we no longer want to have to sell and hustle the education we worked so hard for. we want people to see it for what it is. you get exhausted proving yourself. you get exhausted from the challenges facing our field, our subordinate role compared to medicine, the internship crisis, the crush of debt, the lack of awareness cultural of the importance of mental health care and the obstacles presented by our healthcare system to providing those servies and making a living at doing so. to have to hustle the work of all those years is unpleasant in a way that is hard to understand without the weight of those years under your belt. and when you do practica alongside students at programs with more resources, without the crippling debt of going to a tuition school, you think differently about your own experience.

yes you can do it. you can do almost anything. as a clinician, we in fact see people overcome obstacles all the time. but to willingly walk into an obstacle; all i can say is that it may seem like another challenge you can and will overcome at the beginning of your career, but many many folks, even ones that end up getting their doctorate, later end up saying "why did i do that??? if i had it to do over again i would have done more on the front end to attend an xyz school, or made a different choice all together"

Actually, about that...

APA Accreditation is pretty much the premier, if not the only Association of the United States, and has the monopoly on the political stance of students and practitioners in the field. Yes, APA has their benefits. However, 10-20 or more years down the road, it doesn't matter that much. APA Accreditation matters when you're in graduate school. Most programs are APA Accredited and is the standard for training and practice. It opens up APPIC internships, and makes it easier to obtain a post-doc as well.

Buuuuuut, the only real benefits is that you get to work federally and with the VA. Less loop holes to jump through. But when you've been practicing for a few years, that importance kind of dies off. So, if you want an easier time going through grad school internships and have a dream of working at the VA, yea--definitely go for APA accredited programs.

I've know Clinicians from both APA and non APA programs who are spectacular. Additionally, I've known clinicians from APA and non APA that were... Well, they had their licenses revoked.

In the end, if you want to help people and work in making the world a better place, like many of us do. Get the degree. But, make sure they're accredited by some form of agency (Higher Learning Commission, etc...). APA just provides a fast track for licensure, that's the major benefit.

Actually, about that...

APA Accreditation is pretty much the premier, if not the only Association of the United States, and has the monopoly on the political stance of students and practitioners in the field. Yes, APA has their benefits. However, 10-20 or more years down the road, it doesn't matter that much. APA Accreditation matters when you're in graduate school. Most programs are APA Accredited and is the standard for training and practice. It opens up APPIC internships, and makes it easier to obtain a post-doc as well.

Buuuuuut, the only real benefits is that you get to work federally and with the VA. Less loop holes to jump through. But when you've been practicing for a few years, that importance kind of dies off. So, if you want an easier time going through grad school internships and have a dream of working at the VA, yea--definitely go for APA accredited programs.

I've know Clinicians from both APA and non APA programs who are spectacular. Additionally, I've known clinicians from APA and non APA that were... Well, they had their licenses revoked.

In the end, if you want to help people and work in making the world a better place, like many of us do. Get the degree. But, make sure they're accredited by some form of agency (Higher Learning Commission, etc...). APA just provides a fast track for licensure, that's the major benefit.

2017-2018: no apa accreditation, no internship.

Reactions: 1 users
Attending a program that is not APA accredited is creating more hardships than necessary for your career.

desertspartan8002 is flat out wrong.

The importance of attending an APA accredited program extends way beyond graduate school and wanting to pursue a VA career. (door #1 will be closed) Most internships will NOT consider, much less accept, interns who come from non-APA accredited programs. (door #2 will be closed) Most states require you to attend a APA accredited grad program fr licensure. If you do not, you will not be able to get licensed. If you are unable to get licensed,this is what will happen... You will not be able to work as an independent psychologist. You will always need supervision. You will lock yourself out of many career options. Your salary will be low for most of your career. (door #3 will be closed) Most good jobs, even if they accept employees from non-APA accredited internships (small number), will not consider people who did not attend an APA accredited program.

You will have shot yourself in the foot if you do not attend an APA accredited program.

It's definitely not just VAs that require APA-accredited programs and internships. As an ECP, I've been forwarded a LOT of job announcements over the past couple years from training directors and list serves, and most listed these as requirements. Faculty positions, academic medical centers, university counseling centers, you name it. Also, it really made the licensure process much easier. There were tons of forms and syllabi that I didn't have to submit because all of my training was accredited. I concur with those above in saying that it doesn't really make much sense to limit yourself before you even get started. This process is hard enough without having one hand tied behind your back!

Employers are going to be hesitant to pursue hiring someone if licensure is up in the air because if you can't practice and bill...you aren't getting the job.

Many markets are competitive, so why woukd an employer risk wasting time on an iffy applicant? That's how they'd view you as iffy bc you don't have the standard background.