RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Okay I have questions about the APA convention in August in San Francisco.

First, is anybody here going?

and second... I want to go because I've always wanted to see San Francisco and finally take a trip by myself (so it's a good excuse), but also because I want to see what a real psych convention is like since I've only been to small local ones. But I know the deadline for presenting posters there has already passed so I would just be there to be there, basically. Do you guys think there's still a point to going? Would anybody think I was strange for just showing up and not presenting anything? And can you put a convention like that on a CV if you don't present (just to say you've had experience going to the APA convention?)

Sorry guys, I just woke up and I'm babbling. lol

Ollie123

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Are you weird for wanting to? I say no, but I'm widely acknowledged as weird as well.

Were it not for the cost, I'd go to every conference I could, presenting or not. I call them my nerd-vacations.

I wouldn't put that you attended a conference on a CV, though if you join as a grad/undergrad fellow to get the reduced cost some conferences offer for members a "Membership in Professional Societies" section is certainly appropriate.

That being said, conferences are FANTASTIC for generating research ideas, networking, etc. Don't be shy, go introduce yourself to professors doing research in areas of interest to you. Talk to them about their work, find out what their future plans are. It may not be something to include on your CV, but it can be a great thing to mention during an interview "When I was at APA last year I saw x poster and it got me thinking about how y might affect z and what research was available on that topic".

So in conclusion, I say if you want to go, can afford to go, and have time to go, do it. Certainly can't hurt.

Anticip

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
I just found out a few weeks ago that I was accepted to present a poster at APA this year (which is amazingly exciting), so I will be going. I don't think it's at all weird to go to a conference where you're not presenting, but I'm not sure it would go on a CV, unless you're currently an undergrad with not much else on your CV; in that case, I think it would be appropriate.

My 2 cents!

About the Ads

GiantSteps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
Plus you can catch Barry Bonds (he plays for the San Francisco Giants) in his quest to break the all-time homerun record (even with the inevitable * for possible steroid use) which should be this year.

And, even if you are not a baseball fan, if you catch the record breaking homerun ball you will have enough money to fund your own line of research anywhere you want!

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Thanks for the advice! That's true, I'm sure it'll be a great opportunity for networking.

I think I'll end up going. It just depends on hotel availability I suppose. I'm excited, it'll be my first big convention (and my first trip without family/friends).

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I'm 99% sure I'm going. I have friends in and around the city, so it will be a combination leisure / nerd vacation.....so LeisureNerd Vacation? I'm not presenting, though it is definitely worth still attending. There are always some great presentations, and it offers a great opportunity to network. I love being able to talk with people who's research I've enjoyed, etc.

Oh, and it is in SF...which is one of my top 5 favorite cities!

-t

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
I'm 99% sure I'm going. I have friends in and around the city, so it will be a combination leisure / nerd vacation.....so LeisureNerd Vacation? I'm not presenting, though it is definitely worth still attending. There are always some great presentations, and it offers a great opportunity to network. I love being able to talk with people who's research I've enjoyed, etc.

Oh, and it is in SF...which is one of my top 5 favorite cities!

-t

I've ALWAYS wanted to go. I want to see Alcatraz really badly. lol. I'm such a dork.

Well that's exciting, maybe I'll get to meet people from this board.

terrybug

happy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
around
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
I'll be there, presenting.

Conferences are nice - very energizing to hear about all the latest research going on and meet the people behind the articles you've read in the past.

Instead of putting it on your CV, I'd include it in your statement of purpose when applying to schools as an example of your commitment to learning and staying up to date.

Sanman

O.G.
Sep 2, 2000
Dreaming of Margaritaville
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Well I was accepted along with a professor and a couple of others, so I should be able to get some department funding and get out there. I do have a friend who is there at the moment that I can stay with, so as long as he stays there it is quite feasible.

My advice is to stay in a hotel close to the BART line in the east bay. There is a Red Lion and a Motel 6 right by BART in Walnut Creek, and it is an easy ride into the city, saving you 200$+ night in SF. Going to APA is a must at least once for every student.

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
I don't think the info on speakers is out yet, I'm assuming it comes out on March 15th when registration begins... but I have no idea. I really hope that my APA membership application is finished by March 15th so I can register right away.

Luckily my dad's letting me use his 20 bazillion airmiles to fly, so I just have to pay for hotel and whatever I happen to eat. And I managed to find some really cute and cheap hotels near the Moscone Center which is good 'cause I've heard horror stories about hotel rates.

My dad's a vet so he's always going to conventions and bringing me back free pens. Now I'll get my own! :D

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
The other option is to Priceline the hotels. If you are tech savvy....you can do some searches on Google and find some bidding forums that track the price points of various hotels in major cities. You can use that information and bid on hotel rooms in the city with confidence. I've done this in the past and saved a ton of money.

Please Note: If you use said forums, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the FAQ first, and do some net searches. With a place like SF, 99% of the questions have been answered ad naseum.

Best of luck!

-t

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
The other option is to Priceline the hotels. If you are tech savvy....you can do some searches on Google and find some bidding forums that track the price points of various hotels in major cities. You can use that information and bid on hotel rooms in the city with confidence. I've done this in the past and saved a ton of money.

Please Note: If you use said forums, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the FAQ first, and do some net searches. With a place like SF, 99% of the questions have been answered ad naseum.

Best of luck!

-t

I am known as the google queen in my group of friends so I will look into it. :D Thank you.

psychanon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
If you have something that you're interested in submitting to a conference, consider ABCT (formerly AABT). The deadline is coming up-- it just got pushed back to 3/15-- but it's not too late if you already have something. It's in November, the weekend before Thanksgiving, and is in Philly this year. It's a good conference to present at (or just go to), especially if you're applying, because a lot of clinical psychology professors go there and it's a good place to network. A lot of people don't go to APA because it's so big...some prefer ABCT or SRP (or other conferences specific to their field) because they're specifically clinical.

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
If you have something that you're interested in submitting to a conference, consider ABCT (formerly AABT). The deadline is coming up-- it just got pushed back to 3/15-- but it's not too late if you already have something. It's in November, the weekend before Thanksgiving, and is in Philly this year. It's a good conference to present at (or just go to), especially if you're applying, because a lot of clinical psychology professors go there and it's a good place to network. A lot of people don't go to APA because it's so big...some prefer ABCT or SRP (or other conferences specific to their field) because they're specifically clinical.

My undergrad thesis is mostly about social psych/relationships so it wouldn't be appropriate for ABCT but thank you for the pointer!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.