APA foreign recognition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Livethedream

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok i'm from ireland and i am looking into different doctorial programmes here. but my biggest concern is whether or not such a qualification from ireland would be recognised over in the U.S. can anyone help me out!! is there a list of APA recognised institutes from outside the US??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm American and studying in the UK (not clinical psychology), but my understanding is that clinical psychology is done quite differently in the UK than in America. It is sponsored through NHS, and I'm not sure how much teaching or research there is, so your experience could be quite different in America than in the UK. But Ireland may work differently than the UK, so I'm not quite sure. I'd say if you want to work in America in clinical psych, maybe you should aim for a degree in the US?

thats what i was thinking of doing. i have an undergrad from trinity college and am looking into postgrad in the US!! wud i still be allowed to practice psychology even though i recieved my undergrad. training in ireland?

thats what i was thinking of doing. i have an undergrad from trinity college and am looking into postgrad in the US!! wud i still be allowed to practice psychology even though i recieved my undergrad. training in ireland?

Having an undergrad from outside the US should not hold you back, especially if you are accepted at and complete your grad training in the US. I did my undergad and first masters out of the US, my second masters and phd in the US and I have had no problems. The grad school you enter in the US will verify your under grad school's acceptability. There was a formal transcript verification process that I had to complete prior to my first quarter of attendance at the US school -- which just meant my out of the country transcripts were sent to a credentialing agency to ensure the schools I attended were real and to verify translation of the transcript (mine was in english so this was not an issue).

Also, APA membership is not required for work. APA is a national association -- it is a voluntary organization. Does going to an APA accredited school help with issues of licensure, and eventual employment, I believe so. But you do not have to join APA (the association) unless you want. APA does not license psychologists, individual state/provincial licensing boards do.

If you decide to pursue your graduate degree in Ireland with the intention of working in the US upon completion, you may want to contact APA or any of the state/provincial licensing boards to get a better understanding of graduate degrees they accept from out of the US.