APA Membership: Student Affiliate - Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chase3557

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year Psy.D. student. Money and I aren't buddies right now. However, I could dish out the dough for APA Membership if it's worth it.

I've read the website, but what do you all think?

What are the benefits of becoming an APA member as a student as opposed to later?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year Psy.D. student. Money and I aren't buddies right now. However, I could dish out the dough for APA Membership if it's worth it.

What are the benefits of becoming an APA member as a student as opposed to later?

My program put pressure on us to join (I think there is a box that they have to fill out about # of student members for accreditation). I joined, but I think the only benefit I took advantage of was lost cost professional liability insurance during internship. I rarely read any of the publications because I had plenty of other things to read. I'd save my $.

Best,
Dr. E

Thanks Dr. E. Yeah, they strongly encourage it for us too, but I just didn't really understand why it was so important.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a complete waste of money. I only paid for the APA membership when I also had to get the liability insurance.

Join an APA division instead. I think some/most are far more student friendly and the fee should be very inexpensive ($10, $20), possibly free. The division conferences tend to be far more useful (topics and networking), as the APA conference is unwieldy, though worth checking out once if you get a chance to present.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a few years out from having gotten my undergrad degree, currently working as a clinical research coordinator. Gearing up to apply to clinical programs next year.

As I look at the sites for APA membership and APA division memberships, it seems as if the applications for membership are asking if I'm 1) a psychologist, 2) a grad student, or 3) an undergrad. For now, I'm none of those. But perhaps unlike current students, I have a little bit of time on my hands that I'd like to use to read articles and listservs!

Any advice on how/if I can join in on the fun?

Like others, the main reason I joined APA in graduate school was to get the student liability insurance. For career development purposes joining a division will be more useful to most people. Many divisions don't even require you to belong to APA, weird as that might seem.

I recently applied and received a travel grant that covered my travel costs in full for a conference I'm presenting at. The grant is only available to current APA members (including student members). That kind of made the whole signing up part of the thing worth it, but my school also offered grant funds (just not as much). The division membership is definitely useful. There's a wealth of professionals who discuss interesting topics, offer relevant tips for your specific professional interests, and advertise recent job openings and opportunities. Student membership is like $50-60 a year so not super expensive but I get when you're a grad student even that is a lot.