Apartment Buildings near PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DredPiratRobrts

Access Denied.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions on the apartment buildings around PCOM. I'm considering moving into Lincoln Green. I currently live in East Falls and I want to be within walking distance of campus. I used to live in a house (slum) on Conshohocken Ave across from the big Baptist church so I'm familiar with the area surrounding PCOM. I'm looking for a nice newer building close by. Like I said, Lincoln Green looks nice but I wanted to fish for opinions from PCOM students on it and other buildings in the area.

Members don't see this ad.

I lived at Beekman Place on Belmont Ave. It was a little expensive, but I walked to school the first two years (I didn't even buy a parking pass). So I figure the money I saved on gas and a parking pass evened out with the cost of the apartment. While living here I have never had a single problem. They did catch a management person who stole something a year or two ago, but the person obviously does not work here anymore. I have never seen a bug, or heard of a friend here who has. No problems with the staff, anything that needed to be fixed was promptly fixed with little hassle. One good thing is that as opposed to places like Lincoln Green, its more like a hotel. You have to open an outside door to get into the building and then open your apartment door, instead of your apartment door exiting to the oustide. PM me if you have any questions.

I'm looking for some opinions on the apartment buildings around PCOM. I'm considering moving into Lincoln Green. I currently live in East Falls and I want to be within walking distance of campus. I used to live in a house (slum) on Conshohocken Ave across from the big Baptist church so I'm familiar with the area surrounding PCOM. I'm looking for a nice newer building close by. Like I said, Lincoln Green looks nice but I wanted to fish for opinions from PCOM students on it and other buildings in the area.

You may also want to check out the website apartmentratings.com for ratings from other websites near PCOM. Or check out Nucleus for other suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived at Beekman Place on Belmont Ave. It was a little expensive, but I walked to school the first two years (I didn't even buy a parking pass). So I figure the money I saved on gas and a parking pass evened out with the cost of the apartment. While living here I have never had a single problem. They did catch a management person who stole something a year or two ago, but the person obviously does not work here anymore. I have never seen a bug, or heard of a friend here who has. No problems with the staff, anything that needed to be fixed was promptly fixed with little hassle. One good thing is that as opposed to places like Lincoln Green, its more like a hotel. You have to open an outside door to get into the building and then open your apartment door, instead of your apartment door exiting to the oustide. PM me if you have any questions.

I live at Beekman right now, I agree with the above. I like the manager and lots of PCOM people live in the building, from my class and the second year class. I have had no problems and did not buy a parking pass either. It takes 5-10 minutes to walk to school.

I live in Presidential City Apts which is down the street on City Ave. It's pretty much hit-or-miss here, but there are a few of my friends that absolutely hate their apt.

Based on my experience, I'd recommend it with reservations. I get silverfish sometimes, it is too hot in the winter (I turn on the vent fans in my AC unit sometimes), and the price is only so-so. On the upside, I really like my layout, the hardwood flooring, and the prompt maintenance staff.

Check apartmentratings.com at your own risk. Always keep in mind that online review sites are self-selective for those who have something to bitch about :)

And then there's always the Greenbriar apartments...

So are greenbriar apartments good or bad?

On an unrelated note, how is traffic getting school if you are in say Manayunk? Is it a real pain or manageable? Seems like you can find some good deals down there.

When looking for places to live, are there any areas that we should avoid looking for apartments/rental properties in because of crime, hassle getting to school?

So are greenbriar apartments good or bad?

On an unrelated note, how is traffic getting school if you are in say Manayunk? Is it a real pain or manageable? Seems like you can find some good deals down there.

When looking for places to live, are there any areas that we should avoid looking for apartments/rental properties in because of crime, hassle getting to school?

The only thing I can answer is to avoid West Philly so about 42nd and Walnut and upwards because of the crime problem there despite it being cheap. I know nothing of Manyunk but I hear some students live out there. The only problem you might have is getting stuck on the Schulykill on the way to Anatomy in the morning, but other than that, I think you should be ok.

The only thing I can answer is to avoid West Philly so about 42nd and Walnut and upwards because of the crime problem there despite it being cheap. I know nothing of Manyunk but I hear some students live out there. The only problem you might have is getting stuck on the Schulykill on the way to Anatomy in the morning, but other than that, I think you should be ok.

If you live in Manayunk its an easy commute (<10 mins). You dont even have to get on the Schuylkill.

ahhh I did not know that. Thanks DredPiratRobrts!

I would agree with that. I live on 42nd and Baltimore, which is about as far as I would extend. Maybe another block or two. As for commuting from this area, it's not so bad...all backroads, got to my interview in like 15 mins at around 730am.

Anyone know of any condo complexes near PCOM? I was driving down City Ave last night and could have swore I drove past some condo looking or higher end apartment buildings only because of the exterior and the covered underground parking, but I didn't catch the name. Anyone know about something like this?

Anyone know of any condo complexes near PCOM? I was driving down City Ave last night and could have swore I drove past some condo looking or higher end apartment buildings only because of the exterior and the covered underground parking, but I didn't catch the name. Anyone know about something like this?

There are a bunch of condos on Conshohocken ave (down past the humongous Baptist church) and one on Ford Road.

BTW, looked at Lincoln Green and Presidential last weekend. The Presidential was depressing.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a bunch of condos on Conshohocken ave (down past the humongous Baptist church) and one on Ford Road.

BTW, looked at Lincoln Green and Presidential last weekend. The Presidential was depressing.

yeah I haven't heard good things about Presidential so I am not going to bother. i dont know anything about Lincoln Green but I have heard good things about Beekman so I might have to check them out. I am thinking of buying which is why I am looking at condos.

yeah I haven't heard good things about Presidential so I am not going to bother. i dont know anything about Lincoln Green but I have heard good things about Beekman so I might have to check them out. I am thinking of buying which is why I am looking at condos.

Im also considering buying. Trying to figure out the +/- on financial stuff and labor input. In a perfect world I would buy a condo on conshohocken ave or Ford rd for like $110,000 and update the kitchen/bath, paint, etc and end up selling it after school for $160,000.

You're not missing anything at the Presidential except for a weird hallway smell, small crappy kitchens with vanity sinks (sans dishwashers), walls coated in 6.02x10^23 coats of paint, and creepy looking baseboard radiators.

I like Lincoln Green b/c everything is new and nice looking. Washer/Dryer in unit and also dishwashers. 1br would be about 1000/mo. Whats Beekman like?

Im also considering buying. Trying to figure out the +/- on financial stuff and labor input. In a perfect world I would buy a condo on conshohocken ave or Ford rd for like $110,000 and update the kitchen/bath, paint, etc and end up selling it after school for $160,000.

You're not missing anything at the Presidential except for a weird hallway smell, small crappy kitchens (sans dishwashers), surfaces coated in 6.02x10^23 coats of paint, and creepy looking baseboard radiators.

Ugh - that sounds horrible. I am glad that I have no plans to visit it.

Yeah I am also thinking about the investment but I am in no position to buy a fixer-upper. I just can't deal with that and I certainly don't have the skills for it. But that puts me in a bind because even though the housing market is good right now, it's still been really tough to find something decent. I am actually thinking of using a realtor who I got a personal reference for and see how she can help.

Your mom is depressing. I love my apt and having the nice office staff right there in Madison bldg. Honestly, for the area you arent going to get much for under 1k in terms of one-bedroom apartments. You need to lower your expectations... or else you need to move out of the immediate area or find a roommate. If you want a single near school, your options are severely limited. At PSU, two friends and myself got a three floor townhome fully carpeted with a game room, a full kitchen and living room (took up a floor by themselves) and 3.5 baths and 3 full bedrooms all for 1155 per month. I had high standards before I came to the area... I love my apt, but it's simple. One living room/kitchen... a separate bedroom and a full bathroom... what else do you need... this is medical school. For an additional 30 bucks a month you can get a full, separate kitchen... personally I'd rather spend that 30 on beer/electric.

Your mom is depressing. I love my apt and having the nice office staff right there in Madison bldg. Honestly, for the area you arent going to get much for under 1k in terms of one-bedroom apartments. You need to lower your expectations... or else you need to move out of the immediate area or find a roommate. If you want a single near school, your options are severely limited. At PSU, two friends and myself got a three floor townhome fully carpeted with a game room, a full kitchen and living room (took up a floor by themselves) and 3.5 baths and 3 full bedrooms all for 1155 per month. I had high standards before I came to the area... I love my apt, but it's simple. One living room/kitchen... a separate bedroom and a full bathroom... what else do you need... this is medical school. For an additional 30 bucks a month you can get a full, separate kitchen... personally I'd rather spend that 30 on beer/electric.

My mom is depressing...sometimes. Yeah, I've lived in the area for a while (East Falls right now) including a slum across the street from Path-Mark (could hear the rats inside the walls at night) so I'm familiar with the pricing. No offense to your apt building, its definitely a step up from some of the places Ive lived in the past. However I am a little bit older than you and I've been out of college and working for the past 5 years. My standards have been readjusted and while a few years ago I would have lived in a craphole to save money, being comfortable is more important for me now. I visited The Presidential right after coming from Lincoln Green and I guess the disparity was very apparent. I'm totally willing to pay $1100 for a nice 1br and split it with my girlfriend.

Madison is the exception rather than the rule to presidential city.

Madison is the exception rather than the rule to presidential city.

How do the buildings differ in Presidential? I saw 2 apts in the same building as the leasing office and they sucked. Is Madison better?

From every person i ve known who lives there, over the past 4 years I ve heard nothing but complaints from each building. Of course there are exceptions, and some people may enjoy living with Temple U college students, I was not one of them.

Hey guys, I'm a fourth year and I lived at Lincoln green for a while. It may look nice, but its not worth it. The rent is a total rip off - there is no insulation, the walls are paper thin, the apt's are small, and the management is shady. The utilities are very pricey and the kitchens have crappy electric stove tops. There was also a bunch of break-ins. I also had bugs, and I kept the place spotless...

I'd recommend checking out craig's list for apartments in the art museum area (fairmount) or northern liberties. You can usually find a good deal, especially if you get a roommate. Living close to school is overrated - city ave is NOT philly...
Also parking in manayunk is really terrible.. I know people who lived there and moved, during the winter it is a nightmare.

If you live in Manayunk its an easy commute (<10 mins). You dont even have to get on the Schuylkill.

That and manayunk is just fun. Yes, the parking there is horrible. The good thing is you can park on the sidewalk and not get towed since the streets are too narrow for towtrucks. :p If you are dead set on driving it'll be inconvenient, especially if you leave and try coming back on a friday or saturday night. Half of my friends from PSU live there and love it though.

I've been reading everyone's reviews about apartments near PCOM....thanks!
I can't visit anywhere until June 29th and I'm freaking out that there will be nothing left for me! I've been doing research like mad trying to narrow down the "better" apartments, but every time I read bad reviews it makes me want to cry. I really like Lincoln Green and Iroquois but I can't visit them before the end of June. Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these two apartments? (I have to get on a waiting list at lincoln Green and send my deposit in now).

Would anybody sign a lease without visiting first?:eek: I have a friend in Philly who I could ask to go check out a few apartments for me but other than that I just have to wait.

____Argh!:scared:

I visited Iroquois and it was a beautiful apartment building, yet a little bit out of my price range. I don't know of anyone who lived there so can't give you any first hand pros or cons about it. Lincoln green has had alot of issues. My first year I had 15-20 friends who lived there and as a student about to start fourth year in two months I only have 2 still there. Besides the break ins, forced entry/rape last year, and lack of maintenance assistance there are other issues.

For example I know you have to pay your rent by a certain date(obviously), say the 3rd day of each month. At my place you get a bill in the mail with an envelope about 10 days before its due so I just write the check and hand it in. At lincoln green you get nothing and have to personally walk down there to pay it. This may sound trivial, but I had a friend on an away rotation and they missed the date by I believe 2 days and got a HEFTY fee added to their bill. You could argue the person should have been more responsible, yes, but just throwing that out there. Does an apartment need to do that, no but I just feel it would be courteous for them to help out their tenanats. I want to live in a place with a good atmosphere without hassles. Remind them of their bills, fix maintenance issues when you ask, send notices when they are testing fire alarms or doing construction.

I realize security is hard at LGreen because of the fact that your doors open to the outside and not inside a building like I have a beekman. Regardless, with the amount they charge in rent you should feel safe where you live. I don't mean to go on a rant since I dind't live there, but have had many friends as I said before who lived there and left within the first year or two. I have heard nothing but negative things about the aparment manager and really would not want to live at a place with so many issues.

I go about my business at beekman. People say hello, I need a key to get into the building and then into my respective apartment. I pay my rent, I have a problem they come fix it, thats it. I have no issues at beekman. I pay a little more, but don't have anyone breaking into my place, bugs, etc... I must admit if the neighbors are loud you can sometimes here it, but I really am satisfied with what I get for my money here.

Thanks so much. I called Beekman today and I'm on a waiting list to see if they have anything available for the end July. I don't think Beekman is more expensive (between $850-$980/ month, utilities included is what I was told). Is that wrong information? Honestly, I'm so freaked out about not being able visit before the end of June, that I'm ready to just sign a lease without visiting if I get the ok from someone who already lives there!

Thanks so much. I called Beekman today and I'm on a waiting list to see if they have anything available for the end July. I don't think Beekman is more expensive (between $850-$980/ month, utilities included is what I was told). Is that wrong information? Honestly, I'm so freaked out about not being able visit before the end of June, that I'm ready to just sign a lease without visiting if I get the ok from someone who already lives there!

Wow they have a waiting list already???? I've been so busy trying to juggle exams and work that I figured I would just wait until the end of this month to find something and now I am beginning to freak out that if they have a waiting list, am I going to find other places when I start looking in May??? :eek:

This is awesome information! Thanks everyone for the input. Was wondering about Manayunk? I heard some general comments regarding the parking in Manayunk, but don't know anything else about it. I was thinking about renting a place over in that area because I've heard some good stuff about the places there, but it sounds like parking stinks. Is it really bad all the time?? Do you think biking to PCOM from that neighborhood each morning would be feasible if I decided to just leave my car parked for the most part instead of dealing with the hassle of driving it? Thanks!

Hey guys.

-Stay away from Lincoln Green. I lived there - overpriced, not worth it. 1000k + utlilities, so that means 1300-1400/month.

- Check out greenbriar or imperial towers - decent, they cover utlilities. Beekman is supposed to be okay too. But all these places are very old dumpy buildings.

-Manayunk - parking stinks, most of the places are cramped. Its basically one street(main street) with okay overpriced bars and restaurants. You could go to better places for less in center city. On weekends it becomes frat party central. Such a lame scene.

-As for biking, you can do it. One of my classmates would bike from center city to classes and tests. But you need a car.

-As I said earlier, check out craigs list for privately owned townhouses or apartments, you can save a bundle.

BTW, I also lived at Duffield House (on conshohocken ave near all these other buildings). Terrible place as well, and my car was stolen from the lot - they found it a couple days later with the steering collumn torn up. This city ave area is really not a nice place to live.

Guys, for those of you considering living at the Greenbriar keep in mind that certain buildings at the Greenbriar have more issues than others. I've heard of people having mice, roaches, other insects, water leaks, no hot water (building 4), etc, etc. And I don't doubt them for a minute b/c these are "older" apartment buildings.

I live in building 6 and have NEVER had any of those problems. Keep in mind I live on the 2nd floor (3-story building) so a leaky roof due to rain/snow is a non-issue. And since I'm not on the 1st floor, flooding due to rain is also a non-issue. Plus it's VERY quite -- which is very important to me. I needs my sleep!

Moral of the story: live on the 2nd floor if you can. Building 6 is a good option.

ps..I'm moving out May 24th..:)

Another very satisfied Beekman resident here...

I've had a studio apt here for the last 3 years and really have nothing but positive things to say about the place. Sure from the outside it doesn't look spectacular and the building isn't exactly brand new, but.....
-the building is kept very clean and well-maintained
- my apt is a decent size and has a lot of storage space
- any issues w/ my apt have been taken care of immediately
- friendly and helpful manager
- 100% of utilities are included so its only 1 check per month
- very good heat/ac
- parking usually isn't an issue and if the lot is full late at night...worst case you just park right accross the street -which is well lit
- living around the block from school lets me avoid any philly traffic and max-out my sleep time
- very quiet....able to sleep during day when I've been on call the night before

I could go on....but needless to say...I've been very satisfied. Sure you can find something cheaper....but when you figure in >100$ for utilities at other places the price difference becomes negligible.

I'm not sure how full or backed up they are on the waitlist for the fall.....but I'm going to be moving in w/ my fiance in June so there's at least 1 studio opening up here.

Good luck w/ your apt decisions and feel free to ask whatever q's you have about Beekman.

I rent a condo in Gypsy Lane Condominiums, and my roommate and I love it. Everything is included except electric, phone and internet. (It has basic cable! And during medical school you don't need much more...) It's a gated community (no one steals your car) with a gym, pool (outdoor), tennis courts, dog park area, picnic area, etc. Check craigslist for private owners who are renting out or with local relator's to buy one.

It takes me <5 minutes to get to and from school, and I am close to the Acme, Target, Kohls shopping center and more. Plus it's close to Main Street Manayunk!

So I was split between Greenbriar and Beekman, but I believe I'll be signing with Greenbriar because I'll have a greater chance of getting a second floor as opposed to first floor apt. I read the reviews about Greenbriar, and I'm going to ask for building 6 if possible! (Thanks whoever wrote that post!)
Wish me luck!!

Guys, for those of you considering living at the Greenbriar keep in mind that certain buildings at the Greenbriar have more issues than others. I've heard of people having mice, roaches, other insects, water leaks, no hot water (building 4), etc, etc. And I don't doubt them for a minute b/c these are "older" apartment buildings.

I live in building 6 and have NEVER had any of those problems. Keep in mind I live on the 2nd floor (3-story building) so a leaky roof due to rain/snow is a non-issue. And since I'm not on the 1st floor, flooding due to rain is also a non-issue. Plus it's VERY quite -- which is very important to me. I needs my sleep!

Moral of the story: live on the 2nd floor if you can. Building 6 is a good option.

ps..I'm moving out May 24th..:)

Congrats on finishing school.
I'm going to sign a lease at Greenbriar and I was wondering if you could give me some more information about your Greenbriar experience. Mostly, is the area safe, are the apts clean, did you ever use the pool/fitness room, how is the laundry room situation, etc. Also, How many years did you live there? Any information you can give me is appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Hey everyone,

Congrats on your acceptances. I posted this is the 2012 class forum as well. My roommate and I are two incoming first years looking for someone to fill the last spot in our 3 bedroom place near campus. We had the place filled but someone dropped out of PCOM leaving us with a vacancy. The rooms are not really set yet but the rent will be around 430 to 500 (tops) depending on the room you choose. The utilities are not included but we have plenty of off street and street parking and the place is real close to city ave and about a half mile to three quarters of a mile from campus so walking shouldn't be a problem. PM if you are still looking for a place and I can send you some pictures and more information on the place.

Gnugs

Bumping this for us PCOM'ers.

Question: Is it possible to find an apartment that will let me begin leasing in August (Beekman possibly)? I only live 1.5 hours away so I will be able to movein within a weekend. Also, it appears Orientation starts the 2nd week so I see no problems getting in on time.

I only saw Imperial Towers mentioned once?!
I think Imperial is a great prospect for PCOMrs. It's right next to Greene Lane or whatever. The Greene place reminds me of the shining, first off.

Here's some quick spec's on Imperial Towers:

* $895 for "delux" 1 bed
- a living room, dining area, big bedroom, and balcony, full kitchen and bathroom.
- Laundry facilities that're cheap on each floor
-Off street parking lot that's almost always available (but again, sometimes late at night the place is full so you have to walk up from the street).
-Utilities included.

My girl lives there, btw, not me. But if $900 was in my budget, I'd do it.

if you look into some of the houses in the area you may get much cheaper deals (granted youll have to live with a few other people but how bad is that). Plus, you can probably find other med students there.

I wold say definately check craigslist, also make sure to check the nucleus site. I'm paying less then half of that 900$ figure... with utilities.

if you look into some of the houses in the area you may get much cheaper deals (granted youll have to live with a few other people but how bad is that). Plus, you can probably find other med students there.

I wold say definately check craigslist, also make sure to check the nucleus site. I'm paying less then half of that 900$ figure... with utilities.

Haha!!! Dannmann99, I didn't see the "live with others" thing when I scanned your post. Yeah you can't beat paying $400 something and stuff, but :thumbdown: with roomates. I've got a girlfriend and been spoiled with me alone for the last 5 years.
Craigslist is the key, DEFINITELY.
I just found a nice studio for $630 with everything but electric - about a mile from campus.
Still, for people who want the rental community building thing, Imperial is the best around the neighborhood for the buck IMO.

Beekman apartments have some utilities that aren't included anymore. Do any current tenants find this to be a ridiculous ripoff or ok?

Beekman apartments have some utilities that aren't included anymore. Do any current tenants find this to be a ridiculous ripoff or ok?
woah...really? Which utilities are they making tenants pay now?

I lived there for 3 years and loved it.....but it was at the upper limit of affordable for me w/ all utilities included....

I live here right now and nothing has changed for my rent. I am not sure what they are making you pay for. And even with the utilities included, you aren't paying too much than your base rent. The most expensive thing I am paying for on my own right now is the cable/internet which is like $40/mo.

oh, ok thanks!

just showing my support for the Imperial Towers, I "did" live at Lincoln Green my first year but found it quite expensive and just not worth how much you pay for it, I then moved to Imperial. Lincoln is nice, no arguement there but value-wise, I go with the Imperial hands down. More space, utilities are included, don't need to deal with city ave traffic, nuff said

just showing my support for the Imperial Towers, I "did" live at Lincoln Green my first year but found it quite expensive and just not worth how much you pay for it, I then moved to Imperial. Lincoln is nice, no arguement there but value-wise, I go with the Imperial hands down. More space, utilities are included, don't need to deal with city ave traffic, nuff said

Cool we're neighbors. I'm moving in on Saturday.

We love imperial towers!!! Actually I live with InspireMe so if any future PCOM'ers have any questions about it please message me and I could very well save you a few bucks (seriously) if you're interested in imperial

We love imperial towers!!! Actually I live with InspireMe so if any future PCOM'ers have any questions about it please message me and I could very well save you a few bucks (seriously) if you're interested in imperial

nono, contact me!! The referral is all Mine... ALL MINE!! Muahahahaha!!!
:laugh:

I live here right now and nothing has changed for my rent. I am not sure what they are making you pay for. And even with the utilities included, you aren't paying too much than your base rent. The most expensive thing I am paying for on my own right now is the cable/internet which is like $40/mo.

I am very very very curious as to what scam you're pulling against comcast. I think my bill is $120/mo...

how much is just internet? I have a sweet converter that can get clear basic stations with antennae