Apartment/House Roommates and School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familyguy21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My home is about 15 minutes away from medical school (with my parents). Since I have lived at home for college I am planning to live either alone or with a room mate(s) for medical school.

I am going back and forth between living at home and closer to campus mainly because of money.

Is it a hassle to live with 1 or more room mates during medical school? For example, do you have to leave your house/apartment when you want to study? Also, does it help to have room mates in medical school?

I have always lived in the same state with all of my schools within 20 minutes from my house. I will regret moving 4 miles away if my roommates are more a distraction. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I live with a roommate who is in the same class in med school, so we don't interfere with each other's studying. Further, she studies mostly at school and is a night owl while I am a morning person, so I don't see her much. It's like having your own apartment with a guest room and somebody else's stuff in your fridge. I'm in a duplex, and the upstairs neighbors are also in med school. The only time it's a problem is when it snows around exam time. NONE of us wants to shovel the driveway!

It depends on your roommate's lifestyle. My roomie's World of Warcrafting doesn't interfere with my studying and my studying doesn't interfere with his World of Warcrafting, so we're square.

So.. it would depend on the situation, so I would definitely make sure you know what kind you're getting into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally medical schools have a second look weekend when you can go and meet the other students considering attending your school. Your best bet is probably to try and meet someone there who you could see yourself living with.

Generally medical schools have a second look weekend when you can go and meet the other students considering attending your school. Your best bet is probably to try and meet someone there who you could see yourself living with.

Okay, it's a relatively small sample size in my experience, but I gotta say be very careful before you do this. I knew several people who ended up meeting somebody at interviews or get togethers who they thought would make a great roommate. All but one "couple" had issues with eachother by the end of the year, ranging from minor annoyances to outright warfare. Needless to say, most of them ended up getting single apartments afterward.

The first year is extremely stressful and it's easy to become fed up with another medical student.