Apartment scam on craigslist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpooh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for apartments in New York for a great deal and thought I found one. A $700 one bedroom in Gramercy Park. Wow sounds good! I followed it up and got this really fishy reply:

"It has been a hard time for me and my husband trying to get a nice,honest and responsible person for this our lovely home due to the accident I had, the accident which almost destroyed most part of my body especially my legs and my spine, but I thank God today that I am still alive and i can at least walk again...but I can't talk very well again, the best way I can communicate is through writing but I believe with God all things are possible, I have the faith in him that I will be healed perfectly it is just a matter of time. $700 par month The address of the apartment (32 Gramercy Park S, New York NY 10003)

I am currently in West Africa and my husband in London, UK.his working with Guinness Brewers of stout. Guinness Ltd. Park Royal Brewery London, NW10 7RR UK.However, the initial plan was to sale out the apt. which I tried, but sometimes the agents inflate the prize and it takes longer to sell.

Because of this reason and more I need a responsible person (With good credit) that can take very good care of the apartment.

We will be glad to rent our home to you if only you will agree to take very good care of the
apartment for us, which is the most important thing.

Let me tell you little about my self. I’m the only child of my late parent, I love to serve God and that is way I’m in missionary school presently in West Africa.

The keys & documents are with me here because my husband is busy man.

Note: We will only accept a tenant who is willing to pay 2 months rent and a security deposit."

When I responded, they wanted me to wire them the security deposit. I looked this up and sure enough, it is a combination of apartment scam tactics. Anyway, just wanted to warn everyone looking for an apartment in NY and in case you come up to this listing: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/1676915952.html

I really want to report this person to the police or something. Be careful everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

never do overseas business on cl. Usually if its legit they will ask when to meet at the actual apartment/house to discuss/interview.

Great post, thanks for the info. This could really help someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have run across a lot of that in my searches for housing in Louisville on Craigslist. It's usually pretty obvious from the housing, though... i.e. $1000 for a 8 bedroom 5 bath luxury estate on 50 acres.

Yeah, them having you wire the money just set off a bunch of alarms in my head.

On craigslist if something seems like it is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Suckers!!!
yah maan you missed out on great deal.

I would totally send the 2 months rent and security deposit though western union; to that poor old lady who just got into accident w/ very busy husband.

OP if you report it to police you are probably wasting their time and yours... there are always millions of these people. may be try FBI or CIA lol

? he was just saying that if it seems to good to be true, then it isn't true.

Craigslist used to be helpful for finding places from private renters that you wouldn't see on the apartment.com type websites....now it is overrun with scams like this, and mass repeat posting from those same apartment websites. It has definitely gone downhill...

And I have to agree with the too good to be true thing...700 for anything (decent) in NYC sounds like a red flag to me lol

yeah..I heard about this but never thought I would actually come across it. At least they make it obvious with a bizarre story like that. I really want them caught though, wish I could do something about it.

I was looking for apartments in California near Pomona and the same kind of person sent me that crap saying he was some welder for ships. They wanted someone who was god fearing who would take good care of the house..blablabla Usually they are the postings that are too good to be true.