APhA in Orlando 4/1/05-4/4/05 - Are you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bananaface said:
I'm going to be there. Who can I expect to see?

I'm planning to be there. I haven't registered or made my hotel reservations, yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on being there. but i hate my local asp chapter president so i believe i'm going under the guise of PLS

I just glanced at the calendar and I'll most likely try to make it over there on that Saturday night, April 2, so maybe we can plan something official for that night. What do you think?

Caverject said:
You will probably chicken out like you always do. This year's excuse should be "I'm scared of getting car sick and wouldn't be able to attend" :smuggrin: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I'm going and I'd love to have a get together. I don't really hang out with any of the ASP members from my school. I'm old enough to be their mom.

FutureRxGal said:
I just glanced at the calendar and I'll most likely try to make it over there on that Saturday night, April 2, so maybe we can plan something official for that night. What do you think?
The opening session will be held from 6:30-8:30pm Saturday Evening. I am required to attend that to be reimbursed for the trip. I am guessing that almost everyone who is going will be at that event. Sunday evening I believe there are no official events scheduled.

Does anyone have a link to the itenerary? I just looked at the APhA website and am no longer able to pull up a general itenerary.

Caverject said:
Don't let that stop you! Stormy is one of the most awesome people I have ever met. And just FYI, the chapter president at Southwest Oklahoma State, is in her late 30's early 40's and has kids and a husband! :)

I actually went target shooting with Stormy last week. I had never shot before and she brought a gun for me to use which was really nice of her. There were a couple of other students there, too. She paid for the rental, provided the ammo and wouldn't accept any of our money. She is pretty awesome, I just don't normally do stuff with people. My husband likes me to come right home.

C-ject where is the schedule you are using? It has been totally revised from the paper copy I saw last week. I actually looked on the APhA website this morning to get the time for the Saturday evening event. It is still listed at 6:30-8:30 Saturday evening. Maybe they are in the middle of shuffling their schedule? :confused:

Well, if you guys let me know, then I can plan around it. I will have to take off work, so I'll need to know something. Plus, I just found out today that Tori Amos ( :love: ) is going to be on tour in Tampa (4/1) and Orlando (4/3), so I'd like to coordinate around that, too. :laugh: Priorities, you know. :D

I'll be going... shh don't tell anyone. I'm not a member of my school's asp, but I'm going with a friend, and many of my classmates are making this big road trip of it and we're quietly getting plane tix... anyway this is the opportunity to meet people who aren't our classmates! And it would be fun to meet y'all so plan something already! (i'll probaby get shy and not meet you though, my mommy says online people are scary...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going, but I'm going as a worker this time instead of a spectator.
If this is your first time, make sure you plan to stop by for a while at the exhibit hall. If you're really brave, why don't you stop by the ESAS budget session on Friday night (Convention Center 208A). It's always a tradition, and a requirement, for all students present to introduce themselves. I didn't really want to go, but UMN reimburses the grad students for their time and trouble.

I'll be there. Will have to miss friday though b/c of exams. But I'm very lucky that at least I live in Orlando!! We'll definately have to get together!! There's so much to do here!

I'm going
staying @ the Rosen

cant wait

C-ject, no breaking into my or bananas hotel room!!! lol

I would like to try, but as only a potential-hopeful, I'm not sure if I should. I guess it depends on what life brings at that point.

All UF students are invited to the Dean's Dinner at Sleuth's Mystery Dinner Theater on Saturday night. It's a free meal, so I'll probably be going to that. It starts at 8:30pm and will probably last a couple of hours. I'm free anytime after that on Saturday. I'll probably arrive Friday evening. I haven't booked my hotel yet, because my husband hasn't confirmed whether or not he is coming with me.

I'm actually starting to have second thoughts.... I will be going down to Ft. Lauderdale in June and up to Pittsburgh in August so I don't know if i'm going to hit Orlando too....

bananaface said:
I think the evening of 4/2 works best with the convention schedule.

I have a Dean's Night Out Dinner on 4/2 at 8:30pm, following the opening reception. It's at the Sleuth's Mystery Dinner Theater. I can meet up after the dinner.

UF has us booked at the Rosen with 4 to a room. I don't have my roommate assignment, yet.

Dana

I am going to orlando! Is anyone planning to make the journey to south beach and party on thursday night!??

yah i know! I hear it is about 3 hours. We are planning to visit world disney but not other parks because those parks are also in california. We want to try something new, something different and of course something fun! Any recommendations?

BMBiology said:
yah i know! I hear it is about 3 hours. We are planning to visit world disney but not other parks because those parks are also in california. We want to try something new, something different and of course something fun! Any recommendations?

It's more like 4 hours from Orlando to Miami.

Disney World is about the same as Disneyland. Epcot is different, so you might want to check it out. You can drink around the world there by getting a beer at each country's pavillion. There's also a few rides, but Epcot is mainly about drinking.

Universal City Walk has a lot of bars. There used to be a place in Orlando called Church Street Station which competed with Disney's Pleasure Island. I'm not sure if it's still there. Maybe someone from Orlando can help me out.

How is West Palm Beach compared to South Beach especially the night life? One of the APha events is at the Universal City Walks so we'll be going there. There is also a Universal City Walks in California. I really want to try something new! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

BMBiology said:
How is West Palm Beach compared to South Beach especially the night life? One of the APha events is at the Universal City Walks so we'll be going there. There is also a Universal City Walks in California. I really want to try something new! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I've never been to WPB, but it's still quite a haul from Orlando. There are many beaches near Orlando - Daytona Beach and Cocoa Beach are not far away (~ an hour or so). You can even drive to Ybor City on the east side of Tampa if you are looking to explore different places while you are here. Tampa is less than 90 miles from Orlando - straight across I-4.

There is a LOT to do in Orlando, though. There's Pleasure Island or Church Street Station. There's a Cirque du Soliel and House of Blues. Like Dana mentioned, there's Epcot which is an experience in itself, and don't forget the many amusement parks, including Islands of Adventure.

thanks you guys! Florida is very similar to California in terms of the beaches, disney (amusement park and downtown), universal hollywood, amusement parks. But I like the fact that there's no state income tax in Florida. I will definately take your suggestions into consideration. They seem great!

How is the traffic in Orlando? Is there anything I should know about Orlando?

I have to go to the opening and the closing ceremonies to get reimbursed by my school. Closing is Mon evening. I'm not sure when the opening thing is. Friday? I also am signed up to go to the Dean's dinner Sunday evening. I think we could come up with two meetup times if people are interested. I'd be up for a midday meetup somewhere at the convention center, and an evening thing sometime. I really want to go to the exposition porti9on for the whole time. Other than that, I have no real preferences. It would be nice for us to have lunch or dinner as a group once, and go out in the evening together once. Honestly, I see my classmates everyday. I don't get to see you all everyday. So, I'm up for hanging out as much as possible. :)

The best thing to do is to pick times, put someone in charge of each time, and start exchanging cell numbers.

jemc2000 said:
2 things to do in Tampa if you are the adventurous sort:

Ren Faire

and

Tattoo Fest

I gotta say that those are odd choices to preface with "if you are the adventurous sort." I don't know what I was expecting to follow that phrase, but those are pretty mild activities to me.