apologies in advance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YML

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

I took the august 2004 test between my junior and sophmore year.
I got a 30. 8PS 10BS 12VR.

For admission to "top 10 schools" should i retake??

btw, I am truly very weak in physics (B- & C+).

I have not recieved lower than an A- in any other course, I do research, volunteer as an EMT, work as an RA, etc.

What do I do?

For those who are going to berate me for posting my question, I truly am sorry. I do not mean to offend you.

It's a truly legitemate question and I hope to get some input from you.

Thank you in advance,
-YML

Members don't see this ad.

If you sincerely think you can do better, then go for it. If not, you should also be okay for the application process. Maybe not at a top ten school, but you'll be able to get your foot in the door at some school.

YML said:
Quick question:

yes

Members don't see this ad :)
Larsitron said:
If you sincerely think you can do better, then go for it. If not, you should also be okay for the application process. Maybe not at a top ten school, but you'll be able to get your foot in the door at some school.

Is there anything else I can do to "beef up" my application on the physics side besdies for retaking?

YML said:
Quick question:

btw, I am truly very weak in physics (B- & C+).

I have not recieved lower than an A- in any other course, I do research, volunteer as an EMT, work as an RA, etc.

What do I do?

For those who are going to berate me for posting my question, I truly am sorry. I do not mean to offend you.

It's a truly legitemate question and I hope to get some input from you.

Thank you in advance,
-YML

For a "Top 10 School," you need a 10 in every area. The physical sciences is too low.

I think you'll want a 34 or so to be average MCAT wise at the top schools, perhaps a bit higher for evil duke columbia and wash.

OSUdoc08 said:
For a "Top 10 School," you need a 10 in every area. The physical sciences is too low.

for a top 10 school, i'd think you'd need a 12-15 in every area. :confused:

Yes, retake.

And to be honest, you are going to need to smoke the MCAT (>35) to get into a "Top Ten school"

B's and C's in pre-reqs don't look so great to "Top Ten Schools"

Getting into a "Top Ten School" isn't easy. You have lot's of work to do,

OSUdoc08 said:

honestly, for a top 10, i think you need BETTER than a 10 in all areas. just look at the super high scores that are rejected from schools that are not even in the top 10.

Yeah, I htink 33+ average for top 10 schools. Depends on GPA, undergrad, and otehr things, but all else being equal I suggest retaking if you are set on a top 10 (but why be set on one?)

What if I retake, and my other scores go down (assuming 2-3 point added to PS)?

will this affect my application?

striped sweater said:
honestly, for a top 10, i think you need BETTER than a 10 in all areas. just look at the super high scores that are rejected from schools that are not even in the top 10.
Good luck convincing OSUdoc of that.

YML said:
What if I retake, and my other scores go down (assuming 2-3 point added to PS)?

will this affect my application?

Some schools, such as Texas Tech, take the highest score for each section, and this can occur over 2 tests.

I doubt the top 10 schools would do this, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. Here's where I get to say what I genuinely believe:

Go to the school you fall in love with. If that's a top ten, fine. It may not be. You need to go to a place where you feel good and supported and that's the highest standard you can do.

Not to turn this into a "is this school better than that school" thread, but I think most of us agree that med school is what you make it and if you wanna get into a top flight residency, that's all about the work you put in; not where you go. Where you go can provide more opportunities, but unless you use them, it won't matter where your sheepskin is from.

Alexander Pink said:
Yeah, I htink 33+ average for top 10 schools. Depends on GPA, undergrad, and otehr things, but all else being equal I suggest retaking if you are set on a top 10 (but why be set on one?)

By no means am I set on a top 10.
I have already been accepted to a state school.
Is there no value in going to a top 10?

YML said:

That's a whole different kettle of fish (or threads).

YML said:

No. Top 25 maybe. Top 50 for sure. But based on what criteria? Are these the same criteria that make a school ideal for you? Not likely, really.

YML said:
If you're the top of your class it's not too hard to get the residency you want no matter where you go to school. But certainly going to a top school helps in getting those top residencies. It's just like undergrad, some people go to podunk and some people go to Princeton, neither guarantees you anything.

OSUdoc08 said:

there must be some reason that people fork over the big bucks, and compete so avidly for those spots.
am i missing something?

YML said:
there must be some reason that people fork over the big bucks, and compete so avidly for those spots.
am i missing something?

Big bucks?

Higher ranked school doesn't mean a higher price. It does provide for a better education, and that's the main reason, but this is very subjective.

It could be said that people at these schools get better residency spots, but this is debatable.

YML said:

Of course there is value in going to a top 10 school. I think that any school in about the top 25 is of relatively equal value. Anyhow, I simply was saying not to get your heart set on a top 10 school, as you will only be looking for disapontment. There is certainly no problem with having high aspirations. Since many qualified applicants don't get into top 10 schools, you do need a killer app. Oh, and not all top schools are expensive!

OSUdoc08 said:
Big bucks?

Higher ranked school doesn't mean a higher price. It does provide for a better education, and that's the main reason, but this is very subjective.

It could be said that people at these schools get better residency spots, but this is debatable.
If you're trying to get a residency at MGH, Brighams, Penn, Barnes, UCSF, etc... you're definitely better off coming from a top 10 school, said the the professor at a top 10 school yesterday to me.

MWillie said:
If you're trying to get a residency at MGH, Brighams, Penn, Barnes, UCSF, etc... you're definitely better off coming from a top 10 school, said the the professor at a top 10 school yesterday to me.

Yup. If your priority is to go to a top 10 residency, then perhaps a top ten school is what works for you.

MWillie said:

Yeah, exaclty. So many poeple on here try to act as if there is no bearing on the residency process of where you went to med school. The fact is that while it may not be as important as the undergrad -> med school transition, residency admissions certainly can be and is affected by your choice of medical school. The emperical evidence is overwhelming when you compare places matched from different medical schools.

it all depends on your work ethic, i think. i bet a person who goes to a low-tier med. school can because a neurosurgeon or radiologist as someone from a top tier school can.
Granted it may be a bit harder, but if he/she has the motivation he will get it.

Alexander Pink said:
Yeah, exaclty. So many poeple on here try to act as if there is no bearing on the residency process of where you went to med school. The fact is that while it may not be as important as the undergrad -> med school transition, residency admissions certainly can be and is affected by your choice of medical school. The emperical evidence is overwhelming when you compare places matched from different medical schools.

reffering back to the original question then:
How do my scores look for top 25 schools?
What can I do to improve my chances?

Alexander Pink said:

Yes. It really depends on what you want to do.

Do you prefer primary care, or do you want pediatric cardiothoracic neurosurgery with a twist?

YML said:
reffering back to the original question then:
How do my scores look for top 25 schools?
What can I do to improve my chances?

I mean look, you know the averages like everyone else on here does. 3.7+ and 33+ with 11's on each section are reasonable. Lots of medical exposure, good LOR's, and some nice esxtracurriculars are neccesary. Research can help significantly for the top research schools. Coming from a top 20 undergrad can't hurt either. Obviously everyone knows these things, and we all also know it is just a crap shoot. Are you in an early admit program? If not, and you are already accepted to state school this app cycle, I don't see why any of this is relevant, as the school is unlikely to let you defer only to reapply to other schools, not to mention all the schools will question your motivations.

OSUdoc08 said:
Agreed. It would also be idiotic to waste a year of your life for no purpose.

I was accepted to an early assurance program for admission in fall 2006.

YML said:
I was accepted to an early assurance program for admission in fall 2006.

Does that include a scholarship?

YML said:
haha lol.
I wish.

Yeah, then apply other places, as long as you are allowed. Did you sign a contract with the school or anything stating otherwise?

OSUdoc08 said:
Yeah, then apply other places, as long as you are allowed. Did you sign a contract with the school or anything stating otherwise?

nope. non binding.