App finished; should I notify that I'm retaking MCAT or surprise them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I will be retaking the MCAT next month hoping to push beyond 35. Since my LOR was submitted recently, most of my schools will consider my application complete very soon. This is about in line with the date I will take the MCAT.

I don't think I will be flat out rejected for interviews with my current MCAT score. So, my dilemma is to either let the schools begin their consideration for an interview and hope that I get them. And my other option is to just tell them to wait until I retake the test. If the school asked me specifically if I am taking the test and want my scores considered, then I did notify them of that. For the other schools, though, I am in a dilemma. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be retaking the MCAT next month hoping to push beyond 35. Since my LOR was submitted recently, most of my schools will consider my application complete very soon. This is about in line with the date I will take the MCAT.

I don't think I will be flat out rejected for interviews with my current MCAT score. So, my dilemma is to either let the schools begin their consideration for an interview and hope that I get them. And then notify them later if my new MCAT score is significantly higher. Is this dishonest? And my other option is to just tell them to wait until I retake the test. If the school asked me specifically if I am taking the test and want my scores considered, then I did notify them of that. For the other schools, though, I am in a dilemma. Any thoughts?

Just to let you know, they will see your later score whether it is higher or not, and will consider it. AMCAS sends it to them automatically.

Just to let you know, they will see your later score whether it is higher or not, and will consider it. AMCAS sends it to them automatically.
Oh, really? Well, that's fine. I'm sure it will be higher. I had a disproprotionately low VR score. According to the scale, I must have missed about half of the questions, which is ridiculous. I'm not sure how I did that.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to let them review your file before the 2nd score comes in, then what's the benefit of the second score?

IMO, the purpose of a retake is to raise your score and prove that you can do well. Without that second score, they'll be making the judgment based on your 1st score only, which you said is unbalanced.