Appalachian College of Pharmacy Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShootingStars

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Anyone had an interview here for the class of 2014? I have an interview 1/29/11 and would love some insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview on 3/12/2011. Anyone else has interview on that day? I am also wondering if there are any better way to get to the campus other than flying to Tricity,TN airport and drive 2.5 hours as mentioned in interview invite. Any feedback from previous interviews are appreciated..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Pharmcity,

Congrats on the interview!
I also have one on March 12th. After looking at flights fares and schedules and the fact that theairport is over 2 hours away, best option for me would be to drive. I'm coming for Maryland so it'll be over 7 hours of driving, but it's a straight drive with no layovers.
Where are you coming from?

Hi pharmcity and PharmGO,

I have an interview on March 12th also. I'm still debating whether or not to attend as I am coming from CA and the 2.5 hour drive from the airport is not exactly appealing to me. :shrug:

Hi pharmcity and PharmGO,

I have an interview on March 12th also. I'm still debating whether or not to attend as I am coming from CA and the 2.5 hour drive from the airport is not exactly appealing to me. :shrug:

The drive isn't actually that bad. It's about an hour and 40 minutes from the airport to the school.

Dballa1,

My stats as far as GPA and PCAT go are not the greatest, so I'm just thankful to get an interview. I have another interview at University of MD Eastern shore. Some schools already denied my application. My chances aren't very high so I have to take any chance I get, even if it means driving for 7 hours.
If you have other alternatives as far as getting accepted into other schools, then perhaps, you should think if it's worth driving, but if not, the commute is worth it. You are sacrificing some time and money, but at least you have the opportunity of getting accepted into the school. You can always decline the admission later.
Good luck!

I was also accepted last week.
The drive really isn't that bad...I drove for 16 hours to get to the interview b/c this school is close to where all my family lives!!

Good luck everyone!

I was also accepted last week.
The drive really isn't that bad...I drove for 16 hours to get to the interview b/c this school is close to where all my family lives!!

Good luck everyone!

ShootingStars, congratulations!!! Are you going to accept and go there in the fall? I was wondering if you would also be able to give any advice as far as how to better prepare for the interview? I'm super nervous but excited and will greatly appretiate any tips. Thank you in advance!

Dballa1,

My stats as far as GPA and PCAT go are not the greatest, so I'm just thankful to get an interview. I have another interview at University of MD Eastern shore. Some schools already denied my application. My chances aren't very high so I have to take any chance I get, even if it means driving for 7 hours.
If you have other alternatives as far as getting accepted into other schools, then perhaps, you should think if it's worth driving, but if not, the commute is worth it. You are sacrificing some time and money, but at least you have the opportunity of getting accepted into the school. You can always decline the admission later.
Good luck!

I totally know how you feel. As you mentioned, I have to admit my GPA and PCAT score are not very impressive either so I am very fortunate to have been accepted somewhere. I was (luckily) already accepted to Jefferson University in Philadelphia, so I at least have that as an option. I think that's the main reason why I'm still on the fence about the Appalachian interview. I really liked Jefferson, but its not accredited yet. Appalachian is a three-year accelerated program and is fully accredited.

Since you asked ShootingStars about how the interview went, maybe I shall wait to hear the feedback and make a decision thereafter. Best of luck to you and if I do decide to come to the interview, I look forward to meeting you. :laugh:

Dballa,
Congrats on getting accepted into Jefferson! It will be a tough decision for you to make: 3 years vs 4, and accreditation vs no accreditation, but from what I've been reading most schools get accredited, but I like the sound of 3 years :)

Stay in touch and good luck!

PharmGO , dballa1 ,Shootingstars

Congrats on getting an interview as well. I am looking forward to seeing you guys. I am coming from Boston, which is about 15 hours drive. So planning on flying to tri city airport and driving to the school. It will be an expensive and time consuming trip, but I am going to take my chances.
Congrats on getting into Jefferson dballa1! I have also applied there and waiting to hear from them. It will be a hard choice since there are ups and downs for both schools. Have you guys thought about where you guys will be staying?
I am also waiting to hear some feedback about interview from Shootingstars. Thanks for the info advance!

I totally know how you feel. As you mentioned, I have to admit my GPA and PCAT score are not very impressive either so I am very fortunate to have been accepted somewhere. I was (luckily) already accepted to Jefferson University in Philadelphia, so I at least have that as an option. I think that's the main reason why I'm still on the fence about the Appalachian interview. I really liked Jefferson, but its not accredited yet. Appalachian is a three-year accelerated program and is fully accredited.

Since you asked ShootingStars about how the interview went, maybe I shall wait to hear the feedback and make a decision thereafter. Best of luck to you and if I do decide to come to the interview, I look forward to meeting you. :laugh:

im also coming from la. even though im lucky to be able to even get an interview, im still having a tough time deciding if i want to attend the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the acceptance, ShootingStars! If you do decide to come to ACP or you want to know more about the school, you should join the "Appalachian College of Pharmacy - Class of 2014" group on facebook. A lot of current students are already in that group in case you have any questions.

And yay interviews! PharmGo, pharmcity, dballa1, onitsuka13, I hope you guys do decide to interview here. And good luck on all your other interviews, regardless of whether or not you come here!

Congrats on getting an interview as well. I am looking forward to seeing you guys. I am coming from Boston, which is about 15 hours drive. So planning on flying to tri city airport and driving to the school. It will be an expensive and time consuming trip, but I am going to take my chances.
Congrats on getting into Jefferson dballa1! I have also applied there and waiting to hear from them. It will be a hard choice since there are ups and downs for both schools. Have you guys thought about where you guys will be staying?
I am also waiting to hear some feedback about interview from Shootingstars. Thanks for the info advance!

There's a list of hotels on the school's website. I will probably stay there so I don't have to worry about driving far in the morning.

Congratulations on the acceptance, ShootingStars! If you do decide to come to ACP or you want to know more about the school, you should join the "Appalachian College of Pharmacy - Class of 2014" group on facebook. A lot of current students are already in that group in case you have any questions.

And yay interviews! PharmGo, pharmcity, dballa1, onitsuka13, I hope you guys do decide to interview here. And good luck on all your other interviews, regardless of whether or not you come here!

Thank you!

Any advice for the interview? Have no idea how to prepare for it :/

Thank you!

Any advice for the interview? Have no idea how to prepare for it :/

Well, you're going to have two interviews. The first one is going to be with two current students, and the next one is going to be with faculty members/community pharmacists.

You usually get about 10-15 minutes for the student interview, with five separate questions. So, take your time when answering them. And generally, if you can relate your answer back to pharmacy it gets a better score. If you can't relate it to pharmacy, just answer with something relevant. Also, if you need to, ask your interviewer to repeat the question so that you can be sure you answered the question that was asked. Don't leave any question unanswered, and don't blow off the student interviews. They do count for a percentage of your total interview scores.

You can also ask the faculty questions after the more formal part of your interview. If you're interested/involved with research, I would ask about that. A lot of the faculty are starting up their research so it might help to show that you're interested in extracurricular activities beyond school work as well.

You'll be given a writing prompt after the Dean and Admissions Committee do their speeches. You'll have as long as you need (until like... 2:30 pm) to respond to it. If you have your interview earlier (like around 9:30 am) you'll probably have to continue it after you finish your interviews. If possible, try to relate your answer to underserved areas/health disparaties since this is a rural program and we do have a pretty big medically underserved population.

And there will be a LOT of students around during the entire day. If you have any questions about housing/transportation/fun, we're pretty good resources.

Come with an open mind. This school IS in the middle of the mountains, but that offers an environment for you to do what students came here to do...TO GO TO SCHOOL. So if you're looking for distractions, there isn't that much of that around here. Our class is made up of students from all over the nation, and not having many distractions available has allowed us to become closer for those times of needed relaxation. We make the best of what we have around here, enjoying it, while getting our education at the same time.

And bring cash. Lots and lots of cash. I prefer small, unmarked bills just so you know. See you on the 12th!

Mewkabulu,

Thank you so much for taking your time and providing such detailed advice. Now I have something to work with and am really hoping to get accepted.

I'll make sure to hit the ATM for those bills :D

Dballa,
Congrats on getting accepted into Jefferson! It will be a tough decision for you to make: 3 years vs 4, and accreditation vs no accreditation, but from what I've been reading most schools get accredited, but I like the sound of 3 years :)

Stay in touch and good luck!

Thank you PharmGO, it definitely will be a tough decision for me. If I do decide to attend the interview, I look forward to meeting you. :laugh:

Thank you pharmcity. I hope you hear good news from Jefferson. I really liked the school. Be sure to keep me posted and if you have any questions or concerns about the interview, please be sure to let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you. :thumbup:

Hey,
I sent my application 2 weeks ago havent heard anything yet.I emailed them and my app is under review still.Im nervous since my gpa is not great.
Can anyone that got in or interviewed share stats?

Last edited:
Sorry you all for not posting sooner!!!! I work a full-time job and have had to travel the last 7 weekends in a row so I havent been on here.

I think the interview information above is very accurate. I would add if you have any need or want to work/research/volunteer in a rural area to make that evident during the interviews!!! The faculty that interviewed me wanted to hear that I wasnt persuing pharmacy to be a "pill counter" and liked hearing all the goals I have for myself after graduation. I prepared by doing mck interviews, reading these treads, and reading threads of previously asked questions from acp.

I really enjoyed the interview, all the students/faculty I met, and thought they had a nice building!

I had a 3.84 gpa and a 72 pcat score. I now have a degree in biochem and work in that field. I applied there because after researching the school I thought I would get a great education there! I didnt want to go to the same ole school everyone I know went to =)

I have been accepted to 3 schools and am having a hard time deciding which to pick. As of now I'm leaning toward acp and will more than likely be there this fall!!!

Sorry you all for not posting sooner!!!! I work a full-time job and have had to travel the last 7 weekends in a row so I havent been on here.

I think the interview information above is very accurate. I would add if you have any need or want to work/research/volunteer in a rural area to make that evident during the interviews!!! The faculty that interviewed me wanted to hear that I wasnt persuing pharmacy to be a "pill counter" and liked hearing all the goals I have for myself after graduation. I prepared by doing mck interviews, reading these treads, and reading threads of previously asked questions from acp.

I really enjoyed the interview, all the students/faculty I met, and thought they had a nice building!

I had a 3.84 gpa and a 72 pcat score. I now have a degree in biochem and work in that field. I applied there because after researching the school I thought I would get a great education there! I didnt want to go to the same ole school everyone I know went to =)

I have been accepted to 3 schools and am having a hard time deciding which to pick. As of now I'm leaning toward acp and will more than likely be there this fall!!!

ShootingStars, can I ask when you interviewed here? And hopefully we'll see you here in the fall!

Hi everyone,

I have an interview for March 26th. Does anyone know how to go about getting the rental reservation for the ride to the campus??

mewkabulu are you a current student or faculty at ACP? Could you give me any info on where to find places to live close to the school for this fall?

shootingstars thanks for telling me about this site! I bet your drive back to AR was long like my drive home. Hope to see you at ACP!

Hey guys,

I noticed some of the posts talking about rides and stuff.

I have the inteview on 3/12 too. I'll be flying in from CA, to RDU, on 3/9, and will get a rental car from there. Then i'm going to another interveiw with another school around there on 3/10 which will end around 5pm, spend the night, and drive to Appalachian sometime on 3/11. Spend night on 3/11, go to interview on 3/12 at Appalachian.

Will drive back to RDU probabgly on 3/13, since it looks like interviews end around 3PM, so won't be able to make it back to RDU for the last flights out on 3/12. Maybe the pharm students at ACP can take us out, maybe on the night of the 12th.

So if you guys want a ride from RDU to Applachian on 3/11 and back on 3/13, let me know. If anyone is down to sharing hotel, i'm down for that too.

mewkabulu are you a current student or faculty at ACP? Could you give me any info on where to find places to live close to the school for this fall?

shootingstars thanks for telling me about this site! I bet your drive back to AR was long like my drive home. Hope to see you at ACP!

Hi, hunter11. I'm a current student at ACP. Most students live within 15 minutes of the school. If you join the ACP 2014 group on facebook, you'll probably be able to get more specific information about housing/areas.

In addendum, I'll be dropping by Charlotte NC airport to pick another interviewee up at 3/11 around 10:30AM. Got hotel at Super 8 Motel from 3/11 - 3/13- Richlands/Claypool Hill Area, which is 20-30 miles away from ACP, I forget.

So if anyone else wants to jump on, let me know,

Hey guys,

I noticed some of the posts talking about rides and stuff.

I have the inteview on 3/12 too. I'll be flying in from CA, to RDU, on 3/9, and will get a rental car from there. Then i'm going to another interveiw with another school around there on 3/10 which will end around 5pm, spend the night, and drive to Appalachian sometime on 3/11. Spend night on 3/11, go to interview on 3/12 at Appalachian.

Will drive back to RDU probabgly on 3/13, since it looks like interviews end around 3PM, so won't be able to make it back to RDU for the last flights out on 3/12. Maybe the pharm students at ACP can take us out, maybe on the night of the 12th.

So if you guys want a ride from RDU to Applachian on 3/11 and back on 3/13, let me know. If anyone is down to sharing hotel, i'm down for that too.

hey guys...I was reading on this thread about the interviews but I wanted to know a little bit more about the program after being admitted. Since it is an accelerated program, does it mean that it is taught faster and harder? Since we are going to be in school year round, I wonder if this will be just as easy as attending a four year program. Do they go by block schedule and how difficult is it versus what you guys know about the 4 year programs. I have an interview March 26th and want to make sure that I can handle it if I do get admitted.

Any advice?? Please someone help!!!!!:scared:

Does anyone know about financial aid. I was told that they were accreditated by SACS but they are still not processing on Dept of Ed FAFSA website. What gives??

hi guys just got an interview invitation.I debating whether I should go since I live in ct.Idk
Any advice?

I have an interview on April 16! I know, it's such a late date!! But at least I have one and very grateful for it.

Does anyone else have an interview on that date? And if so, would you like to share a hotel? Preferably females please :)

hi guys just got an interview invitation.I debating whether I should go since I live in ct.Idk
Any advice?

syckact, i also just got the interview invitation today. have you replied to the email? i replied but have not gotten a response that the interview is confirmed.

hi syckact and otnguyeno, also have received an interview invitation for April 16!

I see u had an interview on 3/26 and i c ur status says accepted pharm student. They notified u that fast?

hi syckact and otnguyeno, also have received an interview invitation for April 16!

Farmasee2014, how did you respond to the email? Did you just write that you accept the interview? and did they respond? since they said first come first served I am a little worried. I replied within like 10 mins that the email was sent lol.

I just came from their interview March 26th. All u need to do is respond to Mrs Baldwin and say you will be in attendence. Be prepared to drive though! I booked my flight late and had to drive in from Roanoke...3.5 hour drive. Its very chill over there and the interview was relaxing to me. I liked it but I know that some people may not. Don't worry urselves too much because I feel that the more relaxed you are, the better your words come out. They won't ask you difficult questions but u at least have to know what ur talking about, I.e. community service annd pharmacy experience. They WILL ask you things relevant to those two topics. Good luck to all of those interviewing next month and to me as well!! Lol

For those who have been accepted, congrats. I was wondering how long did it take you to hear back? I know they said 2-3 weeks, but some of the students said the earliest could be 10 days.

Farmasee2014, how did you respond to the email? Did you just write that you accept the interview? and did they respond? since they said first come first served I am a little worried. I replied within like 10 mins that the email was sent lol.

I sent email right back as soon i could catch my breath. Im sure it was less then 5 min lol! I received an email they next day confirming the interview.

Last edited:
syckact and otnguyeno, farmasee2014 and sthom112, I also have the interview on April 16 and I 'm from Bay Area :)

Heyeah, I also have an interview on April 16th, which I got yesterday!?! It's pretty late. What is first come first serve basis you guys talking about? I didnt reply yet since I have to plan for the travel. Any tips for me from New york city? Can't drive there right? Any help is appreciated!
@otng.: Will u be there? R y a Vne?

syckact and otnguyeno, farmasee2014 and sthom112, I also have the interview on April 16 and I 'm from Bay Area :)

Heyeah, I also have an interview on April 16th, which I got yesterday!?! It's pretty late. What is first come first serve basis you guys talking about? I didnt reply yet since I have to plan for the travel. Any tips for me from New york city? Can't drive there right? Any help is appreciated!
@otng.: Will u be there? R y a Vne?

heyy I am going from NYC too! but Ill be flying to NC on friday and staying with family and driving down the VERY EARLY the next day lol
The best option for you is to fly most likely because otherwise it will be too long to drive and what not [she gives you the instructions in her email-following that would be the best bet].
ps: in the email, she says to email her back so she knows you will be there and its on a first come first serve basis. So if you haven't done that, you should get to it :)

heyy I am going from NYC too! but Ill be flying to NC on friday and staying with family and driving down the VERY EARLY the next day lol
The best option for you is to fly most likely because otherwise it will be too long to drive and what not [she gives you the instructions in her email-following that would be the best bet].
ps: in the email, she says to email her back so she knows you will be there and its on a first come first serve basis. So if you haven't done that, you should get to it :)

Hi sthom112, I replied her and also booked the flight on Friday morning. It's early but as other interviewees said it would help me know the route I'll make on Sat. I am m. If you dont mind you can come early on Friday or Saturday and can see me at Grundy Comfort Inn. See you in ACP. Good luck everyone!

@4Pharm - yes i will be there on Saturday! And what is your second question?

Soo did anyone get anything yet?? I am anxious :eek:

so i interviewed on the 16th. Im probably not gonna hear back till next week huh?

so i interviewed on the 16th. Im probably not gonna hear back till next week huh?
The AdComm meets on Tuesdays and I got my waitlist letter the Saturday following the interview. I interviewed 03/26 and my letter was dated 03-31. You should receive something in the mail either tomorrow or Monday. I live in Texas and it still got here quick. How many people were in your interview? And do you know if that is the last interview cycle?

There were about 40 applicants at my interview date. And yes, April 16 was the last interview cycle. If you get a slot, will you be attending?