Apparently becoming a nontrad: cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.2, GraduateGPA (MPH) 3.6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NABIHANA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a BS in Biology in 2016 and started working on the MPH right away not knowing that the MPH will not help my science GPA. Now that I know, I am planning to hold on taking MPH classes until I fix my science GPA. By which I mean taking upper level science courses, at least 20 credits before applying in 2018.
My problem is the MCAT. Took it in May 2017 scored 489 (very lethal I know :bang:)
I am planning on retaking the MCAT in January 2018. I currently work full time but I usually can get some studying done at work.

This is my plan for the next few semester.
Fall 2017:
1- Research Methods (for the MPH)
2- Pharmacology (4 credit science)
3- Study for the MCAT

Winter 2018:
1- Visceral Human Anatomy (4 credit science)
2- Neuroanatomy ( 4 credit science)
3- Endocrinology (4 credit science)

Spring/Summer 2018:
1- MPH Course
2- (4 credit science)
3- Apply for medical school

Fall 2018:
1- Masters project and I am done :barf:

What do you think? Should I take another year to fix my GPA or 20 credit science + MPH (40 credit) is good enough? Any advise? Recommendations? Warnings?

If you care at all, here are some background information.
I moved to the US at the age of 16 so English is my 2nd language. I finished my BS in 3 years as I started taking college classes in high school (2 year).
I have a tone of employment experience in the healthcare, volunteer work (free clinic coordinator, ED volunteer), and community service. I currently work as a clinical research assistant and my PI teaches in the medical school :D. I am trying to recover from the bad MCAT. It took me a while to comprehend that I have to wait another year to apply (definitely took my parents some good convincing as they think I am a failure o_O).

I am committed to becoming a physician and I do not care how long this is going to take me.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably be ok for DO if your next MCAT is 500+. For MD, you'll need to get your science GPA up and score a 510+ on the MCAT. You'll probably be no good at the schools that average MCAT scores so make sure to research how schools look at your MCAT. Also, masters courses count towards your GPA for DO.

If you looking at going into a competitive field, I would take a year of postbac to get your sGPA up and fix your MCAT so you can apply MD. If you are looking at primary care or another non-competitive field, DO will get you there just as easily as MD.

Reactions: 2 users
I am committed to becoming a physician and I do not care how long this is going to take me.

If you really are committed, I think your full-time employment is going to get in the way of the GPA repair and MCAT preparation as you will need a substantial time commitment to makes the grades.

I think a lot of people in similar situations think they can just go on and on with taking courses and padding their applications but I don't believe that's how it works. It's certainly commendable but I believe an adcom is going to take a student who can get the numbers during 3.5 years of undergrad vs. someone who takes forever to enhance their GPA. And you already took the MCAT once which doesn't help.

I always say that employment and EC's + mediocre grades = nothing. Trust me, those adcom's could care less what you did unless you did something like go to the moon.

Figure out how bad you want to become a doctor and why exactly you want to become a doctor and my advice is to get whatever you need to get done sooner than later. The goal is NOT this... --> "I do not care how long this is going to take me."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated with a BS in Biology in 2016 and started working on the MPH right away not knowing that the MPH will not help my science GPA. Now that I know, I am planning to hold on taking MPH classes until I fix my science GPA. By which I mean taking upper level science courses, at least 20 credits before applying in 2018.
My problem is the MCAT. Took it in May 2017 scored 489 (very lethal I know :bang:)
I am planning on retaking the MCAT in January 2018. I currently work full time but I usually can get some studying done at work.

Fall 2017:
3- Study for the MCAT

Winter 2018:

Spring/Summer 2018:
1- MPH Course
2- (4 credit science)

Fall 2018:

What do you think? Should I take another year to fix my GPA or 20 credit science + MPH (40 credit) is good enough? Any advise? Recommendations? Warnings?

I moved to the US at the age of 16 so English is my 2nd language. I finished my BS in 3 years as I started taking college classes in high school (2 year).
I have a tone of employment experience in the healthcare, volunteer work (free clinic coordinator, ED volunteer), and community service. I currently work as a clinical research assistant and my PI teaches in the medical school :D. I am trying to recover from the bad MCAT. It took me a while to comprehend that I have to wait another year to apply (definitely took my parents some good convincing as they think I am a failure o_O).

I would get open to DO schools. Coming back from that MCAT will be pretty tough for MD.

Reactions: 2 users

Fall 2017:
3- Study for the MCAT

Winter 2018:

Spring/Summer 2018:
1- MPH Course
2- (4 credit science)

Fall 2018:

As mentioned above, the MPH will not n=count for MD, but will for DO. But your MCAT is also a big problem as you're aware. Do NOT retake until you are 100% ready.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll probably be ok for DO if your next MCAT is 500+. For MD, you'll need to get your science GPA up and score a 510+ on the MCAT. You'll probably be no good at the schools that average MCAT scores so make sure to research how schools look at your MCAT. Also, masters courses count towards your GPA for DO.

If you looking at going into a competitive field, I would take a year of postbac to get your sGPA up and fix your MCAT so you can apply MD. If you are looking at primary care or another non-competitive field, DO will get you there just as easily as MD.

Thank you for your advise. I appreciate it. I am very open to DO. I will be applying widely and in the beginning of the cycle.

If you really are committed, I think your full-time employment is going to get in the way of the GPA repair and MCAT preparation as you will need a substantial time commitment to makes the grades.

I think a lot of people in similar situations think they can just go on and on with taking courses and padding their applications but I don't believe that's how it works. It's certainly commendable but I believe an adcom is going to take a student who can get the numbers during 3.5 years of undergrad vs. someone who takes forever to enhance their GPA. And you already took the MCAT once which doesn't help.

I always say that employment and EC's + mediocre grades = nothing. Trust me, those adcom's could care less what you did unless you did something like go to the moon.

Figure out how bad you want to become a doctor and why exactly you want to become a doctor and my advice is to get whatever you need to get done sooner than later. The goal is NOT this... --> "I do not care how long this is going to take me."

After I took the first MCAT, I thought that would be it so I took this FT job. Now I am in a one year contract and I can't quit because of that and I can't afford it. On the bright side, I only do real work about 10/40 h per week and the rest of the time I can use to study. My PI is a very busy MD and he told me I can study when I don't have work to do. Plus I can use his letter of recommendation as he teaches in my top choice med school and he is the residency program director in our department.

You make n excellent point. I will keep that in mind. Thank you so much for your input.

Last edited:
I would get open to DO schools. Coming back from that MCAT will be pretty tough for MD.
I am very very open to DO ;) I just hope that I could make it to one of them. Thank you for your input.

As mentioned above, the MPH will not n=count for MD, but will for DO. But your MCAT is also a big problem as you're aware. Do NOT retake until you are 100% ready.

I was waiting for your comment :love: Thank you so much.
I learned my lesson, I will definitely trust the practice scores this time. I substantially changed my studying technique. My goal is to get above 505 in practice before I take the real one.

Thank you for your advise. I appreciate it. I am very open to DO. I will be applying widely and in the beginning of the cycle.

When you apply next year, hit me up! I have my MPH as well and applied successfully to DO this year. I'll try to help you with any questions/ read your essays if you need.

When you apply next year, hit me up! I have my MPH as well and applied successfully to DO this year. I'll try to help you with any questions/ read your essays if you need.

Its people like you that make me love SDN even more. Thank you so much :) I can definitely use your help.

What is our starting cGPA/sGPA and after the 20 credits?

GPA isn't terrible and as long as you perform well on the 20 credits it will look good with the masters even if that's a small plus. Focus on that MCAT it really is going to make or break you. Take loads of practice exams! GL

GPA isn't terrible and as long as you perform well on the 20 credits it will look good with the masters even if that's a small plus. Focus on that MCAT it really is going to make or break you. Take loads of practice exams! GL
Thank you so much for your reply. I have decided to focus on the MCAT before starting any post bac. You're absolutely right.