PhD/PsyD APPCN Match - Interpreting Thank Yous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james7302

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished up interviewing at INS and have been receiving responses to thank you emails. Just wondering how people are going about interpreting what clinical training directors say. For example, if they say "you remain very competitive with our top applicants," does that mean you are a top applicant? You are top 5?

Also, should generic emails like "It was nice meeting you. Please let me know if you have any questions" be taken as you are not a top applicant or that the site doesn't choose to provide any information about your status in their emails?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It is so variable that I would not worry about it. Sometimes it may mean something, sometimes it's just a boilerplate response. Each site/director has their own way of doing things, I've seen it all over the years. Best not to read into it too much. Just rank based on your top preference and things will work out in the end, match or no match.

Agreed with the above. Some sites send emails that make it sound like you're their top choice but then you aren't (I know of two people who ranked a site 1st because of an email like that and didn't match there) and others are more formal, not hedging as close to the line as much. Trying to read into those emails is not a good use of your time.