appeal letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's a good appeal letter for appealing an academic dismissal? The dismissal was related to poor academic performance, but I am only a couple months from graduation. However, I have been treated with irregularities during this time, which, of course, involves some of the same faculty that is supposedly reviewing the appeal. There is also a family emergency event. The irregularities are of a contractual nature.

However, it is my experience that schools want groveling and self-criticism in an appeal letter, with an expression of wanting to succeed, with past evidence of, and a future plan for self-improvement. I don't know how to reconcile these things. I am pretty sure the school doesn't want me back, so I am leaning toward arguing administrative irregularities causing unfair treatment. I have no one to trust to help with the appeal letter, hence my inquiring of you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

What's a good appeal letter for appealing an academic dismissal? The dismissal was related to poor academic performance, but I am only a couple months from graduation. However, I have been treated with irregularities during this time, which, of course, involves some of the same faculty that is supposedly reviewing the appeal. There is also a family emergency event. The irregularities are of a contractual nature.

However, it is my experience that schools want groveling and self-criticism in an appeal letter, with an expression of wanting to succeed, with past evidence of, and a future plan for self-improvement. I don't know how to reconcile these things. I am pretty sure the school doesn't want me back, so I am leaning toward arguing administrative irregularities causing unfair treatment. I have no one to trust to help with the appeal letter, hence my inquiring of you guys.

Contact the AAMC or LCME?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=appeal+dismissal+letter

But regardless of the irregularities it sounds like med school is done for you. Very very few people are dismissed during their 4th year. Being dismissed for academic reasons this late in the game means the school doesn't think you would make a competent intern. A letter after the fact isn't going to change their opinion.

I know it sucks getting dismissed but I am sure you have other strengths which you could apply to another career. There isn't much anyone in this thread can do to help you get back into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=appeal+dismissal+letter

But regardless of the irregularities it sounds like med school is done for you. Very very few people are dismissed during their 4th year. Being dismissed for academic reasons this late in the game means the school doesn't think you would make a competent intern. A letter after the fact isn't going to change their opinion.

I know it sucks getting dismissed but I am sure you have other strengths which you could apply to another career. There isn't much anyone in this thread can do to help you get back into med school.

But the loans taken out for med school...and the interest just piling up with no way to pay for them...there is a place in some clinic SOMEWHERE that could use a doctor that even stumbled his way through. What was your step 1 score?

But the loans taken out for med school...and the interest just piling up with no way to pay for them...there is a place in some clinic SOMEWHERE that could use a doctor that even stumbled his way through. What was your step 1 score?

:thumbdown:
Yeah because we want an incompetent physician treating patients, when there are already so many challenges with physicians that were good enough to complete school/internship/residency.

I'd rather have myself or my family members see a PA or an NP versus someone who can't make it through 4th year of med school.

This is assuming he makes it through internship and can get a license. I am guessing the school doesn't believe he would it make it that far.

Im not a medical student. im trying to save my program. please refer to that argument.

Closing this thread as user is not a med student and topic of dismissal was originally cross posted in multiple fora.

OP, I would follow advice given in your home field, as fighting a dismissal from med school and from a school your own field may be different, and with different ramifications. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.