Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Appearance during the Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by adismo, Oct 10, 2000.

1. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

Hi everyone,

Interviewing soon and wanted to throw out this question: Anything regarding appearance that one should avoid during the interview, such as tatoos, earrings, funky burns or gotee? Thanks in advance.

2. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In an ideal world I would say be yourself. At the same time you never know who you are going to be interviewing with. I would more than likely go with trying to appear clean cut and somewhat conservative. (If you are a guy I wouldn't wear ear rings or have strange facial hair etc.)

You have to be comfortable but at the same time sometimes you have to play the game to get what you want.

3. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would avoid showing tatoos, earrings, funky burns or gotees!

4. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I can imagine many interviewers being ok with small earrings (studs) and/or a well-trimmed, neat goatee. I can't imagine what sorts of clothes a man could wear to an interview that wouldn't cover most tattoos -- since long sleeved shirt and jacket, pants, shoes, and socks usually hide most of our bodies, we're looking at a tattooed hand, neck, or head/face. Which I can imagine might spook an interviewer or patient (or two)... I think interviewers are pretty good about taking the person as a whole, and listening to what you say. Your appearance will tinge this impression, to be sure.

I think you knew the answer to this question before you posted. Why did you ask?

5. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think he asked just to see if any of us were gullible enough to answer.... [​IMG]

6. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

LOL cobragirl.
    Whats wrong with your doctor looking like Fred Durst of LimpBizkit so long as hes able to remove your busted appendix, right?
    I was only 40% serious when I asked the question. But it is a concern of mine as last time I interviewed I gave the polished republican/televangelist image. What do you guys think about using gheto slang?

7. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yo, yo, yo woid-up Adismo!

8. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, I suppose if you're interviewing in L.A. .... [​IMG]