APPIC Sites: Pace University (NY) and Institute for Multicultural Counselling (LA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentfromcanada

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this forum has been really helpful to find. I was curious if anyone has any experience with these two sites?

As a side question, I am also curious if people know if it is worth it to apply to places where you don't have the required hours that their APPIC listing states (i.e. some say 600 hours)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think applying to a site where you don't meet the minimum requirements is generally a waste of time and money, as a lot of them will just toss your application. Keep in mind that sites select their required stats as a way to communicate what they're looking for in applicants. That said, some sites are more flexible than others about how many hours you may earn in between the application deadline and when you would actually be interviewing / starting. If you are close to the number of required hours, you can always email the training director of the site to ask. Personally, I would do that before spending the time and money on an application that might be a total waste.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, this forum has been really helpful to find. I was curious if anyone has any experience with these two sites?

As a side question, I am also curious if people know if it is worth it to apply to places where you don't have the required hours that their APPIC listing states (i.e. some say 600 hours)?

Thanks!

Thanks very much, that is very helpful. I am still wrapping my head around the APPIC application, but are you saying that each site you apply to costs you money? Not just the APPIC registration fee? Thanks, clearly still sorting all this out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above--if you don't meet the minimum requirements listed by the site, I wouldn't apply. If you're ever curious, though, you can always try emailing the training director to ask if applying would be worthwhile. Still, I'd generally only recommend that if you're close to the total rather than way far out (e.g., yes for 580 hours for a 600 hour requirement, no for 400 hours in the same situation).

And yes, each site to which you apply costs money. Per APPIC's website, for 2018, the fees are $51.00 for the first application submitted, $27 for the next 2-15 submissions, and then a "substantial" increase in cost after the 15th application.

Thanks everyone this is all really helpful.

The whole process feels like quite the racket, fees for the match, fees for each site, flying to potential sites for interviews.

If anyone has experience at either site I mentioned I would be grateful to hear about it too.