Technology Apple Admits Intel iMac Video Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple admits Intel iMac video problems

Posted Feb 9th 2006 12:54PM by Marc Perton
http://desktops.engadget.com/

A glitch that causes display problems on Intel-based iMacs under certain circumstances has been confirmed by Apple. The problem, first reported by one Mac user on his blog, occurs mainly when using the Front Row program to display video, and consists of "faint and intermittent patches of whatever graphics are on the screen appearing in random locations," along with ghosting and horizontal lines. Apple has responded by saying that the company "is aware of this issue and is looking into it," and by recommending that concerned customers contact AppleCare for support. However, there's currently no recommended solution. The original user who discovered the problem does have one suggestion, though: "Convince yourself that Front Row is stupid, pointless, and unnecessary eye-candy and never, ever use it."

Members don't see this ad.

There is a temporary solution. You can change the color bit depth of the display from "millions" (24 bit) to "thousands" (16 bit), and the weird artifacting doesn't occur. It's likely that this'll be fixed in a video driver update.

Sure enough, the video glitch was fixed with the most recent System Update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sessamoid said:
Sure enough, the video glitch was fixed with the most recent System Update.
That's one thing I give Apple kudos for. With exception to their iChat glitch with the release of Tiger, Apple is usually very quick in releasing security updates and patches that fix problems with their software.

glitches are bound to come with a new model out. That's why many mac fans have been waiting to see how well the intel imac performs (i'm personally waiting for the intel mac mini)

hey southerndoc, what machine do you have right now in the mac world? I would personally dump my PC completely if I could get adobe acrobat professional for real cheap but I dont feel the need to spend 4-500dollars on it yet.

SkylineMD said:
hey southerndoc, what machine do you have right now in the mac world? I would personally dump my PC completely if I could get adobe acrobat professional for real cheap but I dont feel the need to spend 4-500dollars on it yet.
I have a 20" iMac G5 (1.8 GHz), the second revamp of the flat-screen iMacs.

I think I paid $99 for Adobe Acrobat Professional for Mac. I bought it on an educational discount from Journey Education (www.journeyed.com). I take it you are a student and can qualify for an academic discount?

I love my iMac, but I do a lot of Photoshop work and web design work. So I need a bigger screen. Going to go with the Power Mac and at least the 23", if not the 30" cinema display on the next go round.

southerndoc said:
I have a 20" iMac G5 (1.8 GHz), the second revamp of the flat-screen iMacs.

I think I paid $99 for Adobe Acrobat Professional for Mac. I bought it on an educational discount from Journey Education (www.journeyed.com). I take it you are a student and can qualify for an academic discount?

I love my iMac, but I do a lot of Photoshop work and web design work. So I need a bigger screen. Going to go with the Power Mac and at least the 23", if not the 30" cinema display on the next go round.

thats an awesome price for acrobat. I may have to get moving on this. Though doing so poses one problem for me: I want to get another mac but right now don't have enough money for the intel imac and the mac mini isn't revised yet (nor do i want any of the early models) so I will be waiting.

Are you going to get the intel powermacs or go with the quad G5's? Either way its a pretty powerful machine. The 30'' screen is just HUGGEEE. Big ups to you if you can manage to utilize all that space. Have you considered dells 30'' (supposedly its much better than apple's though the design is much cooler on the ACD). For a time I was contemplating the 23'' but I researched it and found that many people complained about a pink screen (some c/o a green screen) and this issue hasn't been resolved well enough to my liking. As such, i have been stalking the dell 24'' for a price drop in the mid600 range.

The Mac Mini will likely get an Intel chip this month. Apple will likely announce it Feb 28.

Yes, I can use all 30" of the desk space. It's a pain to work with GoLive and Photoshop at the same time on a small 20" screen. 30" would give me a lot more deskspace to work on.

Cool. Hope the Mac Mini runs a lot cooler with the Intel chip. Those things are hotplates. Until then:

of80hk.gif

southerndoc said:
The Mac Mini will likely get an Intel chip this month. Apple will likely announce it Feb 28.

Yes, I can use all 30" of the desk space. It's a pain to work with GoLive and Photoshop at the same time on a small 20" screen. 30" would give me a lot more deskspace to work on.
The other (cheaper) option is to get two 23" screens, which is the route my brother took. He likes to keep palettes on a different monitor than his image window.