Technology Apple COMPUTER for Med school!!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TOMFighter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want a laptop: MacBook Pro - the base model - 1799 with academic discount + taxes, free shipping

But it's in mid product cycle. YOu think they'll have a new one by august?????

product-15in.jpg

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The site says it's in mid product cycle...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's not urgent, some waiting won't hurt. August is just around the block.. :)

Why buy a Mac if you can convert a standard PC into a Mac?

Have you heard of the OSx86 project? Take a look: (link removed)

I was able to convert an old laptop and have OS X running on it. It's a fun project, but not for the weak-hearted since it can get technically complex at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

...not for the weak-hearted since it can get technically complex at times.

You answered your own question ;) Saving money and having fun with these sorts of projects is nice, but the peace of mind that comes with buying a (more or less, supposedly) reliable machine is nicer. But cool link: I think I'll check that out for future reference.

Have you heard of the OSx86 project? Take a look: (link removed)

I was able to convert an old laptop and have OS X running on it. It's a fun project, but not for the weak-hearted since it can get technically complex at times.

Machine is better, higher quality, guarnateed.

Even if you could convert a clunky POS PC into a Mac, there is no way this could ever be seamless.....and I'm sure there would be software/hardware issues that would not be supported by a Mac OS update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus you'll get a free iPod touch... SWEEEETTTTT!!

If you need the laptop now, buy the current model. If you need it in August, then wait. There is always something better around the corner... Nehalem is coming out for laptops in Q1 '09, followed later by Westmere then Sandy Bridge.

Buy a laptop when you need it.

It's likely there will be new MacBooks by August. I would wait.

New Macbooks yes, but the OP said they were interested in Macbook Pro. The next refresh with the Macbook Pro won't likely occur until Jan 2009 as southerndoc mentioned with the Nehalem processors.

New Macbooks yes, but the OP said they were interested in Macbook Pro. The next refresh with the Macbook Pro won't likely occur until Jan 2009 as southerndoc mentioned with the Nehalem processors.

Yep, unless you want to wait until next year for new processors, the most you might see is a new video card or something. The refresh might happen sometime in the July/August time-frame, but don't let that get in the way of your med school work.

Unless you are wanting to dip down to a MacBook, which it doesn't look like you are, I'd say it's ok to buy now.