Quantcast

Technology Apple kills 17-inch G5 iMac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

http://www.engadget.com/

Apple kills 17-inch G5 iMac

By Marc Perton

Just days after slashing the price of the 20-inch G5 iMac by $200, Apple has apparently killed off the 17-inch version of the computer. The 17-inch G5 no longer appears in any of Apple's online stores, though it is still available from some resellers, which have begun slashing prices to clear inventory. At last check, MacMall was offering the 17-inch G5 for as little as $1,194 after a rebate, or about $100 less than the Intel-based version. We have to give Apple some credit here; they apparently managed to sell off all of their stock of 17-inch G5s without having to cut prices -- though it looks like resellers won't be quite as lucky

For all you people that have been wanting to dip your toes into the mac pool, this could be your chance to do it on the cheap...

southerndoc said:
The 17 incher G5 was discontinued. The 17 inch Intel iMac continues to be sold.
Isn't that exactly what the blog said?

southerndoc said:
There is confusion about Apple discontinuing the 17" model across all lines as posted on a few websites (mainly anti-Mac websites).
That doesn't even make any sense. 17" is a very popular model.

notJERRYFALWELL

Squirrel tactics!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who owns the 20"... and I know a lot of people with the G5 iMac.

I can't believe they're discontinuing them already. They just updated them a couple months ago. But I guess it makes sense to discourage anyone from buying it, since its the same price as the intel version.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
notJERRYFALWELL said:
I don't know anyone who owns the 20"... and I know a lot of people with the G5 iMac.

I have the 20" because I need the window space for Photoshop and GoLive.

I think when I upgrade to the Intel Macs, I will go with the traditional PowerMac and get a 30" HD cinema display. The 20" of deskspace really isn't enough for some of the photo editing I do. When I design websites, I often have multiple windows open, and more screen will allow more efficient designs.