Technology Apple Providing Extended Service For MacBooks With Crap Hard Drives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1UP

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook/hd/repairextension/

Apple has determined that a very small percentage of hard drives that were used in MacBook systems, sold between approximately May 2006 and December 2007, may fail under certain conditions.

If your MacBook was purchased in the date range listed above and shows a flashing question mark on the screen, please take it to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider and they will examine the hard drive to confirm if it is eligible for a replacement, free of charge, under this program.

Members don't see this ad.

I had just received this info from someone a day or two before you posted this, but thanks for doing so, since I think Apple really hasn't done enough to get the word out on this issue.

Turns out we had a MacBook in our house with a failed hard drive that just went out about a month ago. I was getting close to replacing it, but glad I didn't. Took it in today and it was one of the ones covered. Bonus: old 60GB HDD turned into a 160 since they don't make those weak ones anymore. :thumbup: