1. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice

Applicant: Am I aiming too high?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by Interferon-beta, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Interferon-beta

Interferon-beta

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys,

First of all thanks for taking the time to read this!

I'm a current applicant

State: CA
    Major: Biochemistry
    cGPA: 4.0
    sGPA: 4.0
    MCAT: 37

Most significant ECs
    -Research (obviously haha!):
    • Published in Nature Immunology
    • Competitive Research Scholarship (i.e. Howard Hugh's, Beckman, Amgen) but won't say which one
    • 3 Poster Presentations
    -Teaching:
    • I'm currently employed by the Life Sciences Department to teach the Introduction to Molecular Biology

I've also shadowed, volunteered at Youth Outreach programs, and coached Soccer.

I'm taking a gap year to apply.
    In my gap year, I will continue to pursue research and I am interning at an international clinic. I will be traveling to developing countries throughout the year to set up clinics.

My top choices are:
    Harvard, Yale, UCSF, Hopkins, UCLA, Stanford, WashU, NYU, Columbia, Dartmouth, Georgetown, Mayo, Albert Einstein, Duke, UT Southwestern, USC, UPenn, among several others

Am I reaching too high with this list? I'm asking this because I'm questioning how many "safety" schools to add to the list as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mTORC

mTORC 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Looks great to me! Although add just a few other top-20's to be safe. Despite being a great applicant, sometimes this process is unpredictable.

4. ValentinNarcisse

ValentinNarcisse 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How are Dartmouth and Georgetown among your top choices? Neither are mstp.

5. Interferon-beta

Interferon-beta

Pre-Medical
    @ValentinNarcisse sorry I'm applying to those as MD only, but I forgot about that

6. uniqenam

uniqenam MSTP c/o 20?? 2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    If you're serious about applying MD/PhD, don't even bother with MD; as long as you interview well and don't have any major red flags, you will likely have multiple MSTP acceptances. Throw in one or two safety MD/PhD schools and call it good. Is your Nature Immuno pub first author?

Reckoner and plumazul like this.
  7. Interferon-beta

Interferon-beta

Pre-Medical
    No I'm not first author on that one. I'll be co first on the next one though

8. plumazul

plumazul ☮, ♥, & ♫ 2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    @Interferon-beta, I agree with this. (I still don't understand why people apply for both :confused:) If you are including Columbia and NYU, why not Mt. Sinai and Tri-I? I would delete Einstein and consider adding a couple top state schools( like UVa), but you probably don't need more than 15 total. Best of luck. :luck:

Reckoner likes this.

About the ads