Applicant Cycle '07 Timeframe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any re-apps could help me with the timeframe of the whole application situation.

I took the April '06 MCAT and so obviously will wait until June 15-22 to see my scores before I hit send.

My recommenders are supposed to send my LOR between June 5-20th to my schools. They are getting all of their info (essay, etc) this weekend.

How long does it take to get your AMCAS application "verified?" What does that mean?

If I am not submitting until the 15th, is it possible for me to get some secondaries in and be file complete in July? Or does that bump me to August? I am willing to get crazy writing the secondaries.

Anyone do this time frame last year? If there is one thing I've learned around here, it's don't apply late! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

jackieMD2007 said:
Hi, I was wondering if any re-apps could help me with the timeframe of the whole application situation.

I took the April '06 MCAT and so obviously will wait until June 15-22 to see my scores before I hit send.

My recommenders are supposed to send my LOR between June 5-20th to my schools. They are getting all of their info (essay, etc) this weekend.

How long does it take to get your AMCAS application "verified?" What does that mean?

If I am not submitting until the 15th, is it possible for me to get some secondaries in and be file complete in July? Or does that bump me to August? I am willing to get crazy writing the secondaries.

Anyone do this time frame last year? If there is one thing I've learned around here, it's don't apply late! :eek:

well, i submitted my AMCAS early july, gto verified by mid july (so about 2-3 week for verification). earliest secondaries came right after i submitted and my latest secondaries were early october.

so i'd say that if you submitted mid june, you could very well get some secondaries done and maybe even an interview offer (vanderbilt's interview came with the secondary in mid august). but the bulk of your secondaries would be complete in august/september.

i submitted my AMCAS the day i got my MCAT scores last year (june 16) and i was verified/complete/fabulous by june 28. i received the vast majority of my secondaries throughout the month of july (14 out of 17) and made sure i sent them all back within 1-2 weeks of receiving them. this worked well for me, as i just got into essay writing/tweaking mode and was able to pump out 14 secondaries in a month (also received most of my interview invites in august and september).

you can see my mdapps profile below for more info...best of luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the information....you guys are so nice.
Congratulations on your acceptances. :thumbup:
I am getting antsy just waiting to do all of this work. I wish I could start working on secondaries now. :rolleyes:

Just FYI - most schools do not want you to send LOR's until they request them. A few schools will go so far as to trash any that you send beforehand.

Out of curiosity, do most (all?) schools send secodaries via email, or do some also send via regular mail?

I submitted my AMCAS in mid-June but later found out that schools don't receive them until at least July 1, even if they are verified before then. I think mine was verified within a week.

Out of 12 apps, I got 6 secondaries in July, 4 in August, and 2 in September. I got interviews at all but one school. I started interviewing the first week of August, and and I was finished interviewing almost everywhere by Thanksgiving. I dropped some interviews after getting a U Mich acceptance on 10/15- this was a GODSEND. My best advice would to be to apply to a rolling school that you really like because the early acceptances are AMAZING stress relievers and money savers.

Hope this helps. I kept detailed records of the exact days I received and submitted my secondaries, so this info is accurate.

kidthor said:
Out of curiosity, do most (all?) schools send secodaries via email, or do some also send via regular mail?

i think the only schools i got secondaries via regular mail were vanderbilt (w/ interview), UCLA, dartmouth (the paper they used made me feel like they lived in the darkages) and harvard. The other schools i applied to were all email. check the mdapps :)

Regarding LOR, my school will not provide the letter from the pre-med committee until October 1. I plan on submitting my AMCAS by mid-June and have my other LOR's lined up to be sent based on my secondaries. Will the timing of the letter from the school negatively impact me?

I think it depends on the school.

I know that some schools don't even consider you until your secondary file is complete.

SIU for example (In IL), only asks people they want to interview to do secondaries. So they will interview you before they have LOR. But I think they are the exception to the rule.

Tusk said:
Regarding LOR, my school will not provide the letter from the pre-med committee until October 1. I plan on submitting my AMCAS by mid-June and have my other LOR's lined up to be sent based on my secondaries. Will the timing of the letter from the school negatively impact me?

Well, I think you can relax on everything else, then. :) No worries about rushing through your secondaries!

That's actually pretty late, IMHO. By October 1st I had four interviews scheduled and had already gone on one of them. However, I think you'll still be OK. You'll still beat the August MCATers, for example. It's not the end of the world.