Applicant interview day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choklad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been invited to attend an "Applicant Interview Day". From the program they sent, it is a one full day acitivty that includes interviews, on-the-spot essay, and team learning session. They also said no special medical knowledge is needed for both the essays and the team learning session.

Has anyone participated in something like this before? Any clue to what might happen on the day? Interviews are straight forward enough, but I'm quite wary of the essay and the team learning session. What can I do to prepare?

I think I'll call the school up tomorrow to ask for more details.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Know yourself and your application inside and out.

2) Know what makes you unique, or come up with an idea of the things that set you apart.

3) Know situations that you've overcome.

4) Your exposure to medicine should be clearly outlined in your head

5) Leadership activities...same thing

6) Have an answer for why you want to be a doctor.

7) Know what the major issues in healthcare are and come up with or read about a few ways that you agree with that might help to change it.

8) Be prepared to answer ethical questions, so if you really don't know how you would answer them, start thinking about it.

9) Practice - try and take advantage of any mock interview services at your school or if you don't have that...ask your friends or just talk to yourself in front of the mirror.

If you do all that, I don't see how you will have a problem. Don't listen to people about interviews/essays being straightforward enough. Yeah they are, but take this from someone who gets nervous: it's worth it to prepare a bit. An essay could be about a variety of things, maybe even all about you, but it could also be about healthcare or an ethical dilemma, so it's best to read up on those things. Do a search for valuable websites on bioethics/healthcare on SDN.

GOOD LUCK

I've been invited to attend an "Applicant Interview Day". From the program they sent, it is a one full day acitivty that includes interviews, on-the-spot essay, and team learning session. They also said no special medical knowledge is needed for both the essays and the team learning session.

Has anyone participated in something like this before? Any clue to what might happen on the day? Interviews are straight forward enough, but I'm quite wary of the essay and the team learning session. What can I do to prepare?

1. Take a good anti-emetic.

2. Practice resisting the urge to leap across the table and beat on somebody just so they will shut up, no matter how much they deserve it.

3. Practice your cliches. You know, things like, "Primary care of the underserved is so important," "I respect my patient's diverse backgrounds," or, "We shouldn't impose our preconceptions on the patients."

You should be fine. "Team Learning." What a hoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity what school is this? Sounds fun :smuggrin:

They're probably going to have you build bridges with plastic spoons and other challenges to test your leadership skills.

I think medical school admissions are close to reaching the critical mass of stupidity at which point the whole thing is going to collapse down to a singularity where the normal laws of physics don't operate at which point reasonably intelligent students at the Diesel Driving Academy will inexpicably find acceptance letters from Harvard in their mail boxes.

Some (like Towelie, he likes to follow me around on these threads, he'll probably be in shortly) might suggest not doing any prep and just going in as you are to give them the most real and down to earth variation of your self.

This doesn't work for me, although it may work for you, just have to experiment with any or all of these suggestions on this thread and pick what fits and prepares you best.

What I do is the following:

1.) Know yourself: PS, secondary essays, your research and publications if you have any, your extracurriculars - why you do them and what they actually are and what you learn from them, your clinical volunteering, etc.

2.) Know that which is not yourself: Current events, bioethics, healthcare, etc.

I prep for the worst case scenario - you get an interviewer who is a jerk and bombards you with case studies of bioethics and healthcare and tears your app inside out asking you the tough hard hitting questions instead of the norm, which are interviewers who just want to get to know you better conversationally.

The latter is much more prevalent, which is why there are people on this thread who would say all this prep is unnecessary and will just make you sound dull and rehearsed.

I am by no means advocating scripting responses or being a drone. I am advocating preparing for a subject by reading and studying the background information and then forming your own opinion on the matter. I had a tough bioethics/healthcare interview, and if I hadn't done all this prep I would have failed utterly. Honesty and humility are key, prep does not give you the right to BS your interviewer. There are definitely times where a "that's a great question, I don't know" is a good response.

Being prepped actually relaxes me so it is good for me. May stress you out and just jumble your mind. You just have to experiment and see. Also I didn't have much education on healthcare or bioethics issues so I found this approach to be most helpful as well.

Just out of curiosity what school is this? Sounds fun :smuggrin:

It's the Duke-National University of Singapore Graduate Medical School right? I interviewed in Nov, it actually is quite interesting. Don't freak out, it's not really what it sounds like. The essay is a secondary-like qn and the team learning has nothing to do with leadership skills. Just read the article they'll send you. I don't think your "performance" is assessed, it's more like a chance to sell you their method of teaching. Interviewers are tough though.

That makes 3 of us on SDN interviewing at Duke-NUS so far. Good luck! :luck:

It's the Duke-National University of Singapore Graduate Medical School right? I interviewed in Nov, it actually is quite interesting. Don't freak out, it's not really what it sounds like. The essay is a secondary-like qn and the team learning has nothing to do with leadership skills. Just read the article they'll send you. I don't think your "performance" is assessed, it's more like a chance to sell you their method of teaching. Interviewers are tough though.

That makes 3 of us on SDN interviewing at Duke-NUS so far. Good luck! :luck:

Oh, finally someone applying to Duke NUS! I'm so happy!

I'm still curious, what is the team learning all about? Do they make you do those Outward Bound/leadership camp-like activities? (I hope not.) How many people did you have on your day? What sort of questions did you get on the interview?

So any of you guys have offers from Duke-NUS yet? I believe they start making offers some time now if not already made. Please let us know your success stories as well.... I plan to apply next year.

Thanks guys!

hey there! glad to know there're people applying GMS here. anybody got any news yet? will the admission office call/ email selected people besides mail? so nerve-wracking to wait...

Hey y'all

I interviewed there too. Waiting for news, and i haven't got much more of my fingernails to bite off over the next few days.

Think they'll be sending out outcomes at the same time they start releasing in DukeMed (7th march)?

So anyway, while we're all waiting, how about we start posting on the crazy, ridiculous things we'll do if we're accepted? After all, some of us are going to be classmates! :thumbup:

I'll start.....

If I get in to GMS, I'll go walking round campus dressed as a clown (I'M SERIOUS) :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll kiss every admission officer's feet. I would do it now if it helps.... :smuggrin:

Hey y'all

I interviewed there too. Waiting for news, and i haven't got much more of my fingernails to bite off over the next few days.

Think they'll be sending out outcomes at the same time they start releasing in DukeMed (7th march)?

That's what I hope, but according to the website they internally identify successful applicants on 1 Mar, and Dr Kamei said they then have to get Duke to give its okay. Pessimistically, it could be they're waiting for Duke to finish sending their letters, then look over the GMS applicants. *sigh*

That's what I hope, but according to the website they internally identify successful applicants on 1 Mar, and Dr Kamei said they then have to get Duke to give its okay. Pessimistically, it could be they're waiting for Duke to finish sending their letters, then look over the GMS applicants. *sigh*

Ahh....my dear psymedicus,

I see you are not up to date with the latest developments. If you check the GMS website under admissions ---> timeline, you'll notice everything has been erased clean except for the Aug 1 date when classes commence.

So............be anxious! Be very anxious!!!!!!!!!! That letter could come anytime.

I'm quite disappointed that there haven't been any updates on the GMS website. There's nothing more dull than a static website. Perhaps this is because of all the uncertainty involved in their first round of admissions.

btw, it appears they've already started sending out letters in DukeMed. Ours coming soon too?????????????????????????????

Man i'm soooo anxious i could break into the admissions office just to snoop around for those acceptances

Just wondering, are any of you guys who interviewed at the GMS undergrads/graduates from NUS?

i would guess more than 80%....

anybody knows how many rounds of interview they held all together?

i would guess more than 80%....

You have reliable info on this figure 80% you've quoted? Seems a little too high. And there were at least four interviewees from US universities when I interviewed

Ahh....my dear psymedicus,

I see you are not up to date with the latest developments. If you check the GMS website under admissions ---> timeline, you'll notice everything has been erased clean except for the Aug 27 date when classes commence.

So............be anxious! Be very anxious!!!!!!!!!! That letter could come anytime.

I'm quite disappointed that there haven't been any updates on the GMS website. There's nothing more dull than a static website. Perhaps this is because of all the uncertainty involved in their first round of admissions.

Ah, I see. I would check occasionally but nothing ever changed. I think up to Feb they still said "applications open for Aug 2007". OMG, now there's that painful anticipation when I open the mailbox.

I know of 2 interview batches - end Nov 06 and mid Feb 07. Anyone interviewed at another slot?

I know of 2 interview batches - end Nov 06 and mid Feb 07. Anyone interviewed at another slot?

If I remember correctly there was an interview day on 11th Jan or somewhere around that date, according to a source

hi all

just dropping by to have it known that i applied for the duke/nus gms too.

hi all

just dropping by to have it known that i applied for the duke/nus gms too.
Hey zippetydooda,

Welcome on board. Care to introduce yourself? You might wanna be a little 'elusive' in your approach :D

hmm this thread's going to sound like a personals ad page :love: if i start introducing myself.

hey, call me zippetydooda, not ziplock/zippy/zippo/zapper/zip-up. i have a sadistic streak in me enjoying people typing out my ridiculously long nick (just kiddin)

in any case, i've got to return to mugging for my undergrad studies.. cheers to all. :thumbup:

damn. these days of anticipation have been long and torturing.. interviewed quite some time earlier and am waiting for the outcome so badly i'm feeling constipated... :laugh:

Oh, suddenly there are so many of us!! XD

I'm kinda guessing results will be out the same time as Duke's.

By all calculations they should be done with interviews by now. There were 125 interviewees (according to ST article). Mine was the 2nd interview day on early Jan, and they told me it would make 30 people having been interviewed up to that day - 16 in Nov (psymedicus') and 14 on my day. They were planning to interview up to 20 people on every interview day subsequently.

BTW, on my day, about 10 people were NUS graduates, including myself =)

I'm not very optimistic either ... I think I'll be absolutely depressed soon... good luck to all!

If I get in to GMS, I'll go walking round campus dressed as a clown (I'M SERIOUS) :smuggrin:

Well guys, here's hoping that there'll be a clown parading round campus soon :p

This wait is killing me!!! Gonna stakeout and stalk the mailman. He better have the right stuff or else......his whereabouts might sooon become 'Elusive'

Damn that was lame....

So who else is with me on this clown thing?

Let's compile a list of all those who get acceptances (fingers & toes crossed i'm one of em) and then we'll all go terrorize those poor unsuspecting guys at NUS dressed as evil clowns :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

They're probably going to have you build bridges with plastic spoons and other challenges to test your leadership skills.

O dear, I've been there.

I applied for a job as an RA in my school and they made us build paper houses and figure out other ridiculous crap like that to test our "leadership" skills. What ended up happening is that the hypertalkers try to out-yell everyone else and insert their stupid suggestions every 5 seconds (who cares if they're not good...as long as you speak and make yourself noticed, right?).

I ended up wishing I could beat a few people up and thinking that if they would just shut up the rest of us could actually concentrate on getting something done.

Ah, the joys of team work, indeed.

Anyone tried emailing/calling yet??

i sent an email yesterday at noon. no response yet. :mad:

Ok, pls continue updating, guys! I live at a different place from my mailing address, so the moment one of you gets something, I shall drop everything and run to that mailbox!

Clairlila, let us know if you get any reply :D

Anyone tried emailing/calling yet??

Choklad, have you tried?

I called last week to ask if there were any status updates, and was left with nothing but a big question mark. Response was something like April or May but could be earlier.

Thank goodness I'm wearing retainers else I'll be bruxing all my teeth away... Seems like results are indeed out. Patience everyone!!! (Though it seems like I'm the one who really needs calming down right now...)

Zippety!! How do you know it's out? Where? Where???!!!

Eloosive, April or May?? That's way too long! No, I haven't tried contacting them... maybe I'll drop them a mail tomorrow too... spam their inbox hahaha...

hey, I'm so excited that I actually stumbled upon this thread!!!

I'm slated for an interview this Friday for the Duke GMS program, and it's been nerve wracking trying to prepare for it!

Any tips, anyone?

Really appreciate any suggestions I can get. And for those waiting for results, good luck!

(FYI, Dr. Kamei was giving a talk last week in NTU and he mentioned that a batch of acceptance letters have been sent out. So I reckon some of you lucky ones out there might have gotten it already)

hippocrates: is that verbatim? 'a batch'? and when was this talk given?

choklad: yes, it seems like someone has indeed received a letter of acceptance, but that's all i'm aware of; 'a batch'? my goodness... this is dreadfully painful a wait for me...

no news was good news.
now it's more painful...
btw, no response to my email from gms yet.

hey, I'm so excited that I actually stumbled upon this thread!!!

I'm slated for an interview this Friday for the Duke GMS program, and it's been nerve wracking trying to prepare for it!

Any tips, anyone?

Really appreciate any suggestions I can get. And for those waiting for results, good luck!

(FYI, Dr. Kamei was giving a talk last week in NTU and he mentioned that a batch of acceptance letters have been sent out. So I reckon some of you lucky ones out there might have gotten it already)

Interview this Friday? Were you one of the Jan MCATers? I thought Duke GMS was non-rolling.

Well, I haven't received anything, so I guess I'm not one of the highly attractive ones and they're waiting for all the interviews to finish. The Duke thread had something about this, how the letters will go out to those with the highest post-interview scores, then they'll hold on to the rest until they're sure where the cut-off will be.

Ouch indeed.
But if there are still interviews, there should still be a chance for all of us! I don't know why there are still interviews at this

I'm going to check my mailbox today, I think ^^

Interview this Friday? Were you one of the Jan MCATers? I thought Duke GMS was non-rolling.

I'm really wondering about this rolling/non-rolling thing. On the GMS website under Admissions ---> How To Apply, it clearly indicates that it IS rolling. And this has been indicated on the website since over half a year ago. However from the timing of interviews and acceptances, it appears to be completely the opposite.

I'm really wondering about this rolling/non-rolling thing. On the GMS website under Admissions ---> How To Apply, it clearly indicates that it IS rolling. And this has been indicated on the website since over half a year ago. However from the timing of interviews and acceptances, it appears to be completely the opposite.

Yes, I get the feeling it is non-rolling too, although everyone kept on reiterating that it was rolling. Maybe they just started the rolling acceptance with that first batch of letters?

I wish one of us would just get a letter already to end all this waiting! ANY sort of letter!!

BTW, everyone got that financial aid email, right?

(We should create a proper thread for Duke-NUS rather than hitching on this lame thread hahaha~)