Applicants for UK Schools C/O 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted by RVC!!! They sent me an offer on 11/1. They were fast considering they didnt sent me a confirmation email after I submitted the application.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh btw, anyone got offers from Edinburgh, or Liverpool, or Glasgow yet?

I got accepted by RVC!!! They sent me an offer on 11/1. They were fast considering they didnt sent me a confirmation email after I submitted the application.

Congrats!!! I'm a 3rd year at RVC now, former G&T (so technically it's my 2nd year here). Let me know if you (or anyone who applied to RVC) have any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)

OMG congrats!! no interview eh? they must really want you

Congrats karlleo!! It looks like you applied to most of the schools in the UK, are you from there? I haven't heard much about the school in Liverpool.

Congrats karlleo!! It looks like you applied to most of the schools in the UK, are you from there? I haven't heard much about the school in Liverpool.

Word on the street is Liverpool is going for AVMA accred.. I would be surprised if they didn't get it. They have a fantastic program.

Congrats!!! I'm a 3rd year at RVC now, former G&T (so technically it's my 2nd year here). Let me know if you (or anyone who applied to RVC) have any questions!
RVC is my first choice and I wanted to know what I should expect as far as time frames for acceptances? I saw that someone was already accepted and I'm a little nervous now. I've been accepted to Massey University and have an interview for Glasgow so I feel pretty good about that. I also applied to Edinburgh but I don't expect to hear from them until late december. :(

Nope, I'm from Singapore. If i'm not wrong, RVC has 205 seats, 30 goes to international students. Liverpool ranks highly on the league tables though.

At least last year edinburgh tells you your in around xmas i heard on dec 22nd

Oh thanks! That made me feel a lot better. Was wondering why RVC was so quick yet the other schools havent made an offer.

HAHA, thanks! Hey, I was just wondering...RVC has 3 scholarships for international students up for grabs every year. What can I do to increase my chances? I got through without an interview. If they score people according to interviews too, I'm sorta lacking there. -_-

Wow congratulations!!!! Must feel a huge sense of relief knowing you got in somewhere. Is RVC your first choice?

HAHA, thanks! Hey, I was just wondering...RVC has 3 scholarships for international students up for grabs every year. What can I do to increase my chances? I got through without an interview. If they score people according to interviews too, I'm sorta lacking there. -_-

Hi there, I'm a current G&T first year. There really aren't any obvious things to do. The email they sent us in the spring telling us more about it just said its based on merit. So, if you got in without an interview they probably already consider your grades/gre/etc to be really good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I'm from Singapore. If i'm not wrong, RVC has 205 seats, 30 goes to international students. Liverpool ranks highly on the league tables though.
RVC came to my school and told us that they are accepting about 80 international students (it was 50 last year). The speaker's name was Chris Hobson.

Does anyone know about the University of Dublin Supplement? I heard its due in December but I went to their website and can't find where to find the link to it. Thanks!

Does anyone know about the University of Dublin Supplement? I heard its due in December but I went to their website and can't find where to find the link to it. Thanks!

As far as I know, there isn't a supplemental for Dublin. If you applied through VMCAS, you should be done. I applied through Atlantic Bridge which is basically the same as applying through VMCAS but it's due November 15 (tomorrow). I don't know of anything being due in December. I submitted all of my materials and heard from the admissions office that they have everything they need and will begin reviewing files in January.

RVC came to my school and told us that they are accepting about 80 international students (it was 50 last year). The speaker's name was Chris Hobson.

This sounds like the number of people actually here...not the number they accepted. I'm sure some people turned it down. We have about 35 in the 4 yr (or G&T course) program and then I think there's another 15-20 in the 5 yr program. (that's only international)
Not sure how many people turn down a spot here. I don't think they've published the data for a couple of years.

This sounds like the number of people actually here...not the number they accepted. I'm sure some people turned it down. We have about 35 in the 4 yr (or G&T course) program and then I think there's another 15-20 in the 5 yr program. (that's only international)
Not sure how many people turn down a spot here. I don't think they've published the data for a couple of years.
You would definitely know better! I might have misunderstood him as far as what the numbers actually meant (i.e. accepted vs. invited or enrolled, etc.) Thanks for clarifying for me! How do you like it there? Are you an international student?

You would definitely know better! I might have misunderstood him as far as what the numbers actually meant (i.e. accepted vs. invited or enrolled, etc.) Thanks for clarifying for me! How do you like it there? Are you an international student?

Definitely loving it here!! London is an amazing place to be. Also, the professors are just really great. We've had so many and I can think of only one or two that I'm not crazy about...but even they're nowhere near the worst I've ever had. Overall, just really impressed by the experience thus far.
I am international, I'm from the US.

Definitely loving it here!! London is an amazing place to be. Also, the professors are just really great. We've had so many and I can think of only one or two that I'm not crazy about...but even they're nowhere near the worst I've ever had. Overall, just really impressed by the experience thus far.
I am international, I'm from the US.

Thanks for the response. That's so exciting to hear. I also applied to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Any reasons to choose RVC over those schools? ALso, are you in the 4 or 5 year? I'd like to do the 4 year program but I want to get a current student's opinion on the program differences. Thank you so much!

Hey guys.. just felt like I had to introduce myself on this thread because I've been stalking this thread for the past few weeks without posting anything lol. Anyways, I applied to Edinburgh and RVC and I'm dying to hear back because my email has been quite lonely recently. Anyways, (for Edinburgh) when Victoria emailed me asking if I'd only be interested in the 4 year GEP or would like to be considered for the 5 year program, I told her that I would only be interested in the GEP.. I'm kind of regretting this now and I don't know if I made the right decision by saying that because I really don't mind 5 years at all, minus the tuition.. and I risk a greater chance of rejection. Would it be too late to change my decision?

Hey guys.. just felt like I had to introduce myself on this thread because I've been stalking this thread for the past few weeks without posting anything lol. Anyways, I applied to Edinburgh and RVC and I'm dying to hear back because my email has been quite lonely recently. Anyways, (for Edinburgh) when Victoria emailed me asking if I'd only be interested in the 4 year GEP or would like to be considered for the 5 year program, I told her that I would only be interested in the GEP.. I'm kind of regretting this now and I don't know if I made the right decision by saying that because I really don't mind 5 years at all, minus the tuition.. and I risk a greater chance of rejection. Would it be too late to change my decision?

I think it's natural worry now that you've sent your response... but before you change your mind, have an honest think about the 5 year program. Think about the time, money, etc... if it's something you would definitely do if you don't get in to the four year program, then I would email Victoria to see if you can change your response still. She's absolutely wonderful, so if you wanted to change your answer I'm sure she would do everything to make that happen. You will have a degree by next fall, correct?

Oh, and I don't know if anyone's seen/heard this but Edinburgh's accepting 180 students this year as opposed to 120 like they have done in previous years because of their new teaching facility. I just read this right now and it was a real encouragement.. :)

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/news-events/developments/new-building

Just to clarify, roughly 180 are accepted each year. About 65 are slots for the 4 year program (for degree holders) and the other 115 are places in the 5 year program. These will be seats for UK and international applicants alike, so keep in mind your applicant pool when thinking about the numbers. Most of the 4 year program will be made up of North Americans and other internationals, where the five year people are mostly from the UK.

For instance, this is the first year in the new building and we have 61 GEPs (4 year people) that are mostly from NA... we will combine with the second years in the five year program (group of 120) next year when we go into "third year." I hope that makes sense. I am so sleep deprived, it's not even funny. Linky link to the Edinburgh page on AAVMC (see "Size of Entering Class"):

http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/descriptors/edinburgh%202012%20posted.pdf

I have been meaning to post and say I also got an email saying it was the 16th :)

I play hockey, but there are 50 of us on the Dick Vet team, so I will just be spectating on that Wed. My roomies (fellow SDNers) are also on the football teams, so I will definitely be out to cheer along everyone. Hope to see you there!!

Merry Dick Day Eve fellow SDNers! I expect some epic battles tomorrow :D

(Go Glasgow! Beat the Dicks!!)

Thanks for the response. That's so exciting to hear. I also applied to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Any reasons to choose RVC over those schools? ALso, are you in the 4 or 5 year? I'd like to do the 4 year program but I want to get a current student's opinion on the program differences. Thank you so much!

I don't know much about Edinburgh or Glasgow. I've heard Edinburgh is an amazing program and I've heard people talk about how great Glasgow is to live in.
I'm in the 4 year program at RVC. I know RVC has cheaper tuition than either Glasgow or Edinburgh. There was a girl on here during last years admin cycle and she was debating for a while between Edinburgh and RVC. I think it was futurevet3000?? you can try PM'ing her.

Merry Dick Day Eve fellow SDNers! I expect some epic battles tomorrow :D

(Go Glasgow! Beat the Dicks!!)

SOOOO excited for Dick Day tomorrow!!!! Couldn't come at a better time, just handed in our term paper/essay today :D

Did you know they are doing an equestrian even this year too?? Are you riding in it?

(Dicks rock!! Down with Weegies:p)

SOOOO excited for Dick Day tomorrow!!!! Couldn't come at a better time, just handed in our term paper/essay today :D

Did you know they are doing an equestrian even this year too?? Are you riding in it?

(Dicks rock!! Down with Weegies:p)

Haha I wishhhh. We have a big path lab + review for our exams so i'm going to have to send my Glasgow spirit/rage vibes from afar! :)() But maybe i'll come up for the pubcrawl?

"Oh i'd rather be a camel than a Dick, oh i'd rather be a camel than a Dick...Oh i'd rather be a camel, or any other mammal, oh i'd rather be a camel than a Dick (Beat the Dicks!)"

(I only wish I could post the other verses.....:cool:)

Yeah, if you go to http://www.ucd.ie/vetmed/ and then look along the right side of the page you will see a link to complete your VMCAS Supplemental Application. Good luck!!! :D

I think it's natural worry now that you've sent your response... but before you change your mind, have an honest think about the 5 year program. Think about the time, money, etc... if it's something you would definitely do if you don't get in to the four year program, then I would email Victoria to see if you can change your response still. She's absolutely wonderful, so if you wanted to change your answer I'm sure she would do everything to make that happen. You will have a degree by next fall, correct?

Just to clarify, roughly 180 are accepted each year. About 65 are slots for the 4 year program (for degree holders) and the other 115 are places in the 5 year program. These will be seats for UK and international applicants alike, so keep in mind your applicant pool when thinking about the numbers. Most of the 4 year program will be made up of North Americans and other internationals, where the five year people are mostly from the UK.

For instance, this is the first year in the new building and we have 61 GEPs (4 year people) that are mostly from NA... we will combine with the second years in the five year program (group of 120) next year when we go into "third year." I hope that makes sense. I am so sleep deprived, it's not even funny. Linky link to the Edinburgh page on AAVMC (see "Size of Entering Class"):

http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/descriptors/edinburgh%202012%20posted.pdf

Oh thanks so much for your imput.. on the link I read, it said that the new facility "will train more professionals in a wide range of veterinary careers (student numbers will rise from 120 to 180 per year)" so I assumed that only 120 were admitted total in the past..

And yeap, I am graduating this spring, so I'll have a bachelors in Animal Science by next fall. I'll sleep on it for a few more days and make up my mind whether I email Victoria about changing my decision to both 5&4 years or keep firm about the 4 year GEP decision. I hope you don't mind if I message you in the future if I get into Edinburgh.. because as of now, I think it's my top choice school. (competing with RVC of course) :):xf:

**EDIT**
(Didn't want to make a new post.. but SPEAKING OF RVC.. just got an interview invite email 30 minutes ago from RVC!!) Why am I up at 4am? I don't know.. but I'm SO glad I didn't have to wait until I usually wake up (7am) to find out this news.. :DDDDD)

Last edited:
Just got an e-mail from RVC saying that they did not receive a reference from one of my e-lors. How is this possible? She sent it through VMCAS along with all of my other letter writers. Now I am freaking out that there is something wrong with my VMCAS app. She was my only vet lor. So confused...:confused:

Just got an e-mail from RVC saying that they did not receive a reference from one of my e-lors. How is this possible? She sent it through VMCAS along with all of my other letter writers. Now I am freaking out that there is something wrong with my VMCAS app. She was my only vet lor. So confused...:confused:
Oh no! Maybe your vet thought she submitted it but didn't press the final submit button? Can you check your VMCAS and see if it was officially submitted? I think its a sidebar on the right. You should contact your schools and send them a hard copy of her letter if they'll let you. It's better than not having it at all. Will the RVC let you send them the letter? I hope it all works out for you. :(

VMCAS says they are all in... Maybe RVC can't open hers? They told me to have her send them her paperwork via her e-mail or official post that she could fax. I e-mailed them to ask what they really need from her. All of my other schools didn't mention anything so I am assuming that they have everything. :scared:

Well that's good that they're letting you still send it. I would still check with the other schools just in case. :)

Wow congrats Ilikedogs !!!

I just got accepted into the 5-year program at RVC without an interview!!Wow.

I just got my acceptance into the RVC's 4 year program without an interview! I can finally relax a bit knowing that I am going to the UK no matter what. :)

Here is a great blog for anyone interested in going to the RVC. Hilarious and insightful, she really outlines what to expect from everything involved in being an RVC student. http://ellieintheuk.blogspot.com/

Congratulations! Is the RVC your first choice?

While it's not my first choice(that's my IS), it is definitely one of my top choices after that. The 5 years would make it more difficult though, if I do get into a 4 year program somewhere :( The school seems wonderful though and I would love to live over there, so I'm definitely going to keep it at the top of my list until I hear from everywhere!

While it's not my first choice(that's my IS), it is definitely one of my top choices after that. The 5 years would make it more difficult though, if I do get into a 4 year program somewhere :( The school seems wonderful though and I would love to live over there, so I'm definitely going to keep it at the top of my list until I hear from everywhere!
That definitely makes sense. What are your top choices? Any other schools in the UK? :)

Hey guys. Congrats on the early acceptances! I've been stalking this thread for a while as well and am hoping from some love from Edinburgh or RVC at some point in the future. Good luck to the rest of us as we wait!

Hey guys. Congrats on the early acceptances! I've been stalking this thread for a while as well and am hoping from some love from Edinburgh or RVC at some point in the future. Good luck to the rest of us as we wait!
Thanks! Do you have a preference of the two? I'm leaning towards the RVC but Edinburgh looks amazing as well. Everyone I have talked to from Edinburgh are absolutely sweet and love their school. From previous threads, it looks like Edinburgh sends out acceptance mid to late december so don't worry about them for a while. :) I hope you hear from the RVC soon!

I actually think that I prefer Edinburgh based solely on the location. I lived in London for a while and it is great, but expensive as hell. Edinburgh is lovely and, as you say, everyone seems to love the place. It's a bit more laid back and, as I live in NYC, I'm ready for a bit of laid back. Having said that, I'd be happy at either place, I'm sure. If I were to have options, I think a visit would be in order! Congrats again on having one in the bag!

I actually think that I prefer Edinburgh based solely on the location. I lived in London for a while and it is great, but expensive as hell. Edinburgh is lovely and, as you say, everyone seems to love the place. It's a bit more laid back and, as I live in NYC, I'm ready for a bit of laid back. Having said that, I'd be happy at either place, I'm sure. If I were to have options, I think a visit would be in order! Congrats again on having one in the bag!
I totally understand. I really want to go out an visit before I decide as well. Edinburgh has this video with students and such, and the students seemed so goofy and relaxed. I really like that! London would probably be much more hectic but I hear that the Herforshire campus is quite serene (just outside London?). I believe we'd move there after our first year so it would mellow out (and be cheaper I hope!).
p.s. I love your avatar. Pup in motion!

I totally understand. I really want to go out an visit before I decide as well. Edinburgh has this video with students and such, and the students seemed so goofy and relaxed. I really like that! London would probably be much more hectic but I hear that the Herforshire campus is quite serene (just outside London?). I believe we'd move there after our first year so it would mellow out (and be cheaper I hope!).
p.s. I love your avatar. Pup in motion!
Thanks! She's amazing, and always in motion :)

Gaaah now RVC wants a reference from a vet that I worked with previously!! Why was my current vet reference not sufficient? I don't work with that vet anymore. It is going to be such a pain in the *** to get him to write me a reference now and they want it "as soon as possible".:mad:

Gaaah now RVC wants a reference from a vet that I worked with previously!! Why was my current vet reference not sufficient? I don't work with that vet anymore. It is going to be such a pain in the *** to get him to write me a reference now and they want it "as soon as possible".:mad:

Wow that doesn't sound cool at all. They say they never received your chosen vet's eLOR, then instead of having you resend that one, they want you to get a different vet to write you a new one?

I would (as nicely and politely as possible) ask them to explain why you cannot have your original vet send their letter again. It doesn't quite seem fair that all other students are given the opportunity to choose the vet who writes their recommendation, however in your case, they get to choose.

Seems like a tough balance between appeasing the people with all the admission power, but also not letting them inconvenience you so much when you had done everything correctly to get your application complete and submitted.

Good luck, hope things work out smoothly!

My chosen vet who wrote me the LOR this year was able to resend hers last Friday. But I guess because she is a DVM/Phd and we do primarily research they waant to have a reference stating that I have clinical experience. One of my other LORs this year was from a shelter manager so you you would think that they would realize that I do have animal care skills as well as research. IDK. I guess this is a lesson for all those applying in future years: make sure one of your LORs is from a general vet practice. Luckily this vet wrote me a reference last year so it won't be impossible to get it to them (However last year it took him 4 months to write it!).