Applicants for UK Schools C/O 2015/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They liked that I had questions for them and the program and seemed pleased when I told them I had discussed Glasgow with current students on SDN (that's you shortnsweet!!!). Just look at the questions on the interview feedback section for Glasgow, review your app, and have fun! I could not have asked for a better interviewing experience. <3

So glad you had a positive experience! They are such wonderful people, and it is less like an interview and more of a conversation!

Now I am off to bed so I can actually go to lecture tomorrow. Halfway Ball last night definitely put our "work hard, play hard" motto into action :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks yann and shortnsweet. They started by asking me about my trip and stuff (which helped calm my nerves--such sweethearts), then they asked about my large animal experience with a few specific questions on that topic (they'll ask about your experiences so review your app and personal statement), they asked me a couple of ethics questions (ie prosthetic limbs for pets when owners could put the money towards saving other animals?, kidney transplants from shelter cats to pet cats--is it right as long as they adopt the shelter cat?). I was not familiar with the situations and they explained them so I could answer. I made my stance clear but also verbally expressed how I understood both sides' reasons politely. Joyce said she agreed with my stances (phew!). They asked me about my interests (ie large animals? small? specialty?). They asked what are negatives I view regarding vet med.
Overall, I found they were really easy to talk to and we were laughing a lot, I told them where the best meat in town was and no joke, they got excited and wrote down the place's info. They laughed when I told them how I had to chase coyotes away from the farm's calves with nothing more than a stick and a little hollering. I didn't feel like they held the one question I couldn't answer against me (a specific disease name from my experience) because I offered my knowledge of treatment instead. They liked that I had questions for them and the program and seemed pleased when I told them I had discussed Glasgow with current students on SDN (that's you shortnsweet!!!). Just look at the questions on the interview feedback section for Glasgow, review your app, and have fun! I could not have asked for a better interviewing experience. <3
P.S. Don't forget to print and cut out a small picture for your file.

Thanks, bigkittinteef! I arrived in NY today and my interview is tomorrow. Excited and relaxed...and probably a bit unprepared. Thus on SDN trying to gather as much info as possible :) Oh, thanks for mentioning about the photo, I completely forgot they even mentioned it. Hopefully I'll find a photo booth before the interview and have it ready.

I just printed one off of facebook because I also forgot up until the last minute. I would not worry too much though about the interview. It's just like shortnsweet said, it's a conversation. I was really relaxed the whole time we were talking. Take a deep breath, and smile. You're going to be great! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker here--
Has anyone received rejections from RVC?
Didn't get into Edinburgh or Glasgow, and probably won't get into RVC. There was certainly no interview invitation.

I just need closure!! :oops:

Thanks!

Hey guys, I kind of lurk around on here...

But for those of you waiting on hearing from Dublin, I recieved an acceptance voicemail after my classes today from the Dean (I believe her name was Grace). She said that they would be sending me an email shortly and an official offer packet. I applied through VMCAS, so I'm not sure if anything will be different for those of you who applied through Atlantic Bridge. But I just wanted to let you know that your wait may be shorter than the March/April that they originally told you, jemappellejane. Good luck, and I hope you hear good news soon! :)

Long time lurker here--
Has anyone received rejections from RVC?
Didn't get into Edinburgh or Glasgow, and probably won't get into RVC. There was certainly no interview invitation.

I just need closure!!

Thanks!

Don't give up hope yet! RVC might still be sending out interview invites for February and March.

Don't give up hope yet! RVC might still be sending out interview invites for February and March.
Thanks for the kind words. I emailed RVC today and they said, "Nope." So that's that.

Hi everyone,
So I just had my interview in NYC with RVC and the interviewer told me that RVC vet graduates are able to practice vet medicine within the EU, while vet grads from Glasgow and Edinburgh can not. I still plan to practice in N.A when I graduate, but I wasn't aware of this. Does anyone know if this is true?
Just to clarify, you won't have been told that the RVC is the only AVMA accredited school in the UK, but it is the only English vet school to hold AVMA accreditation. Which is what you were told:)

Just to clarify, you won't have been told that the RVC is the only AVMA accredited school in the UK, but it is the only English vet school to hold AVMA accreditation. Which is what you were told:)

Except she wasn't talking about AVMA accreditation, she was asking about the European Association of Educational Veterinary Establishments, of which the following are members:

United Kingdom:
University of Bristol The Royal Veterinary College - London
University of Cambridge
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
University of Liverpool
University of Nottingham

:)

But for those of you waiting on hearing from Dublin, I recieved an acceptance voicemail after my classes today from the Dean (I believe her name was Grace). She said that they would be sending me an email shortly and an official offer packet. I applied through VMCAS, so I'm not sure if anything will be different for those of you who applied through Atlantic Bridge. But I just wanted to let you know that your wait may be shorter than the March/April that they originally told you, jemappellejane. Good luck, and I hope you hear good news soon! :)

CONGRATULATIONS! Unfortunately for those of us who did apply through Atlantic Bridge, our wait is always longer than those who applied through VMCAS as the two application piles and cycles are not connected.

Congratulations jayme!!! If you have any questions about Dublin, let me know!!! (And yep you got a call from the Dean Grace Mulcahy). Are you definitely coming to UCD?

:luck: M.A.

But I just wanted to let you know that your wait may be shorter than the March/April that they originally told you, jemappellejane. Good luck, and I hope you hear good news soon! :)

Unfortunately for those of us who did apply through Atlantic Bridge, our wait is always longer than those who applied through VMCAS as the two application piles and cycles are not connected.

Jayme, congrats, that is SO GREAT! Are you planning to attend Dublin??
Moo, did you apply through ABP too? I thought I was the only one...
Glad to hear some good news from this place nonetheless!
:luck:

Thanks, moo, mas, and jemappelle! I'm unfamiliar with the whole Atlantic Bridge application, so I wasn't aware. Hopefully you receive good news sooner rather than later! :) :)

I'm not sure if I'll be attending yet. I've been accepted into a few other programs and am still interviewing in the states, but Dublin and Ross are my top 2 outside of the state schools, both for completely different reasons. Most likely I will have some questions when it comes down to making a decision, so I'll be sure to let you know if I do, mas!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Just got back from Glasgow interview and info session in New York. It was amazing. Interview was very nice. They had alot of information and I actually found their power point and video much more thorough then RVC's info session but both had very nice faculty who answered all questions. They kind of swayed me to their 5 year program, not sure I still won't do a 4 year elsewhere, but they made a lot of legit points. They said they'd be sending out acceptances/rejections in about 10 days so good luck to everyone else who was interviewed and waiting to hear back.

That was my last interview. Now on to making those hard choices. Anyone else struggling with the whole leaving the States to live elsewhere. I just don't know how homesick I'll be and on top of the struggles of going through vet school may be overwhelming.

That was my last interview. Now on to making those hard choices. Anyone else struggling with the whole leaving the States to live elsewhere. I just don't know how homesick I'll be and on top of the struggles of going through vet school may be overwhelming.

I'm not really struggling with leaving the states again since I studied abroad in England for a year, loved it and had a hard time making myself get on the plane to come back. I was hardly homesick at all since I was traveling and having an amazing time living in a city and meeting new people. None of the UK schools are in areas short of anything to do, so there will be a lot of things to keep you busy when you have some free time from school. Plus it's incredibly easy to travel to different countries and to do it fairly cheaply. I also ended up dating someone for 8 months while I was over there so that definitely helped make it an even better experience and contributed to the depression I experienced upon my return to the states. It really wasn't a pretty sight. I'm not quite sure how I managed to make Dean's List that semester back when I felt like all I did was sleep and avoid people.

Now that little side story might not seem super relevant, but I somehow managed to land myself in a similar situation. When I applied to vet school, I was single and now I'm in a relationship again and I'm not quite sure I can handle the whole "breaking up cause we'll be living in different countries" thing again. So far he's being supportive since some of my other choices haven't been working out, but I'm not sure yet what will happen if it's the only place I get accepted. I don't like letting boys influence my decisions since this is something I've always wanted, but the physical and emotional toll it took on me last time was not good at all and is definitely something I'd like to avoid. I know it's kind of a stupid thing to worry about and that I'm getting ahead of myself since I haven't been accepted yet, but it's one of my current worries.

The only other major thing I'm concerned about is finances and what the exchange rate might do in the next 5 years...

Hi! I just received an acceptance email from Dublin into their 4 year program. It seems that they are indeed trickling out. (PS. I applied through VMCAS) good luck everyone who is still waiting. I hope you get good news soon!

jemappellejane, yes, I applied through ABP. I'm sad that we have to wait longer even though that's the way UCD prefers US/Canadian students to apply :( But I agree, great to hear good news coming from this place. CONGRATS to everyone who has been accepted to UCD! Please keep us updated on your decision making processes :)

So I occasionally lurk on here (I'm afraid I don't have as much time as I used to), but I just wanted to say congrats and good luck to everyone. Also anyone whose coming do Dublin I'd be happy to answer questions as well.

:luck::luck:

The only other major thing I'm concerned about is finances and what the exchange rate might do in the next 5 years...

No I totally understand how you feel. Finances are a big thing for me too. Part of me would love the experience of going to Scotland but it will be about 50 000 dollars more expensive then my in state school. I just don't know if I can justify that kind of debt for a "fun time". I'm kinda of an adult now -lol- and I need to be making adult decisions. I don't know. I've self imposed a deadline of the end of February to make up my mind and start planning for where I want to go.

has anyone who went to the NYC interviews hear back from Glasgow yet??

yeah, I got my acceptance this morning. It's been exactly a week...apparently they start sending results in after 7-10 days so I'm sure you'll get yours soon too!

I declined my UC Davis interview invite and damn it feels good. Thanks but no thanks Davis (such a pretentious letter if you ask me...). I'm going to the UK! Assuming my dad is well enough, my family and I are taking one last vacation in a few weeks to the UK. We're going to visit all RVC, Glasgow, and Edinburgh! I can hardly wait! :love:

I declined my UC Davis interview invite and damn it feels good. Thanks but no thanks Davis (such a pretentious letter if you ask me...). I'm going to the UK! Assuming my dad is well enough, my family and I are taking one last vacation in a few weeks to the UK. We're going to visit all RVC, Glasgow, and Edinburgh! I can hardly wait! :love:

Awesome! :thumbup::thumbup: I'm glad you were able to turn down UCD ;)

Want to let me know what Glasgow is like in person? As of right now, it seems likely that I might actually end up there.

@ chamorru: Thanks. I'm not worried about the stigma of an international school because I am able to make the distinction that I didn't choose the UK because I had to. It's because I want to. No offense meant to anyone interested in UCDavis but I feel it is an extremely overrated program. I'm proud to be going to a UK school!
@ Orca2011: I would love to. I'm going to try to get down as much info as I can: how new/comprehensive the facilities are, notable equipment/technology, what the surrounding area is like (gotta have fun!), housing/grocery prices, general campus look/feel, etc. If there is anything in particular you'd like me to find out while I'm there, let me know. I'll take pictures and be happy to share them. :)

@ chamorru: Thanks. I'm not worried about the stigma of an international school because I am able to make the distinction that I didn't choose the UK because I had to. It's because I want to. No offense meant to anyone interested in UCDavis but I feel it is an extremely overrated program. I'm proud to be going to a UK school!
@ Orca2011: I would love to. I'm going to try to get down as much info as I can: how new/comprehensive the facilities are, notable equipment/technology, what the surrounding area is like (gotta have fun!), housing/grocery prices, general campus look/feel, etc. If there is anything in particular you'd like me to find out while I'm there, let me know. I'll take pictures and be happy to share them. :)

SO jealous that you get to go check the schools out in person! I would also really appreciate if you could let me know what your thoughts were on Edinburgh and Glasgow, since I'm in the midst of trying to decide which would be the better choice for me. Pictures would be so awesome. Thanks Bigkittinteef!

Awesome! Thanks! I knew people who went to Glasgow a lot when I studied abroad in northern England and they said the city is awesome with plenty to do, so I'm not horribly worried about that aspect of it. Also, my friend studied there for a semester and she's pretty picky about things and she loved it, so I have good expectations. Plus, if it's anything like the school I studied abroad at, the school will definitely live up to the "work hard, play hard" attitude they talk about in the video. If you want to do a sneak peak at things like groceries, the main places will probably be stores like Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's. Tesco usually has express stores (more like a convenience shop) within city centers and has larger grocery stores on the outskirts of cities. Asda is usually towards the outside as well (at least for the city I lived in) Both also deliver for like 5 pounds (cheaper at different times of the day or if done well in advance) if there isn't one near you and you can always share a delivery with a roommate or something to cut costs. Tesco and Asda also have websites, so you can browse ahead of time to figure out prices if you feel like it. I never went to Sainsbury's that often, so I can't really speak for it. I guess a good thing to find out would be if there is a little farmers market type thing to get fresh fruit,veggies and meat products from local farmers. It will be cheaper to get it there than from one of the above stores.

Is there any way I could get this video you all are talking about? Pretty please? :oops:

Just an aside - we had the Glasgow Vet Rugby Team (all men) visit UCD (Dublin that is) last weekend and they were beyond hilarious. Now in Ireland we definitely study hard/play hard and there is a lot of drinking here - not going to lie (we are in Ireland for ****s sake), so most everything social is centered around drinking. Of course you can do other things and being older I do not drink a ton, but still enjoy going out to pubs and what not. Anyhow, they were wearing kilts and were pretty much completely hammered all weekend long. Let's just say, guys probably should not be allowed to wear kilts when drunk as they just tend to whip out their wanker without warning. :laugh: They were ridiculously entertaining to say the least. But I am glad they do not wear kilts in Ireland, although I am sure in Scotland they do not wear them on a regular basis either. At least I hope not. :hungover:

That is all...

Hahaha. Oh dear. This should be an entertaining four years...

Bigkittenteef - when are you headed out this way? Hopefully not when we're in exams or on Easter break (translation: lambing)

Shortly after the 17th of March was the goal. Is that bad timing? I really want to see the schools and facilities. Meeting students would be wonderful but if you're all gone for an extended time, I don't see how I could go before I have to make a decision. :\

GEPs and 2nd years will be in exams the week of the 19th, but the rest of the students will be at the school. The following 4 weeks are actually "break" for all Dick vet students (except Final years). The time is usually spent lambing or completing other EMS. Also studying for our Welfare and Handling exams the week we get back. If you are going that first week after St. Patty's day, I would try and hit Dick vet first as long as the other schools aren't on the same break schedule as us.

Good to know. I'll try to follow that timeline then. Does anyone have recommendations as far as competitive pricing for airline tickets from San Francisco to the UK? I want to save as much on the tickets as possible (I know they'll all be expensive but every little bit helps!). It will be 4 adults riding economy. Any suggestions for airlines or ticket search engines are appreciated!

Just an aside - we had the Glasgow Vet Rugby Team (all men) visit UCD (Dublin that is) last weekend and they were beyond hilarious. Now in Ireland we definitely study hard/play hard and there is a lot of drinking here - not going to lie (we are in Ireland for ****s sake), so most everything social is centered around drinking. Of course you can do other things and being older I do not drink a ton, but still enjoy going out to pubs and what not. Anyhow, they were wearing kilts and were pretty much completely hammered all weekend long. Let's just say, guys probably should not be allowed to wear kilts when drunk as they just tend to whip out their wanker without warning. :laugh: They were ridiculously entertaining to say the least. But I am glad they do not wear kilts in Ireland, although I am sure in Scotland they do not wear them on a regular basis either. At least I hope not. :hungover:

That is all...

Hahahaha that sounds about right for our boys...especially the rugby boys. And kilts-- they're everywhere, and often!! Even my Zumba teacher brought his out for a class!! Luckily for us he was not true "Scottish style" and had boxers underneath, albeit they were tight Scottish flag ones!:laugh:

I am also going out the week of the 17th to Glasgow and Dublin (thank you, frequent flier miles) and any advice/places to go/people to talk to/ways to travel from one to the other would be appreciated! Right now I'm leaning towards Glasgow but could be swayed. Bigkittenf, if we cross paths we can compare notes on Glasgow. I will also be happy to post my experiences at each on SDN for anyone interested.:)

I am also going out the week of the 17th to Glasgow and Dublin (thank you, frequent flier miles) and any advice/places to go/people to talk to/ways to travel from one to the other would be appreciated! Right now I'm leaning towards Glasgow but could be swayed. Bigkittenf, if we cross paths we can compare notes on Glasgow. I will also be happy to post my experiences at each on SDN for anyone interested.:)

Glasgow: Try and see both the main campus and the vet campus...If I were here I would totally suggest meeting up, but i'll be home over break. Perhaps e-mail Joyce and see if any students are around?? City centre is a lot of fun and there are a ton of great shops and restaurants. On a sunny day the Botanics are gorgeous too!!

Easiest and cheapest way to get to Dublin is RyanAir or EasyJet.

Good luck! Have fun! I loved both of the schools when I visited. Such a hard choice!!:luck:

ahhhh so anxious....i had my Glasgow interview 2/8 and they said we would back within 10 days...i've been checking my e-mails constantly and still nothing...is it alright for me to still have hope and assume it's 10 business days that they mean? or do you think i've just been rejected, but them not telling me yet until the very end of the 10th day? bc others on the "acceptances" have already heard back....

oh and as a cherry on top i have 4 exams this week, so this may just be the worst week ever if i do end up being rejected :/

Have you tried contacting them? I would e-mail them and ask, even though it may probably one of the most stressful e-mail you have to send.. hope you hear good news thaowey!

Or call on skype so you can talk to someone one on one. I like to know things right away and calling has served me well. I hope you hear good news soon! Good luck on your exams. Don't let this get you down!

ahhhh so anxious....i had my Glasgow interview 2/8 and they said we would back within 10 days...i've been checking my e-mails constantly and still nothing...is it alright for me to still have hope and assume it's 10 business days that they mean? or do you think i've just been rejected, but them not telling me yet until the very end of the 10th day? bc others on the "acceptances" have already heard back....

oh and as a cherry on top i have 4 exams this week, so this may just be the worst week ever if i do end up being rejected :/

I didn't get my email last year stating I was wait listed until Feb 22nd, which would be this upcoming week, so I think it's still safe to say that you can still hope. I'd say if you don't hear anything by sometime the end of this week, send Joyce an email.

thanks mates...yeah i was thinking of skype calling them tomorrow just in case... so i guess we'll seeeee

Or tonight! Monday for them starts tonight for us if you want to call sooner. :)

I live in CA and I call around 1 AM. I don't know where you are located but if you are located on the east coast they are 5 hours ahead of you. So in that case you could call in the morning when you wake up. :)

oh yeah time is not a problem for me...i'm pulling an all nighter anyways so gives me motivation to keep staying awake lol.

and i'm in FL...living 5 minutes from the UF Vet School...which sucks since i got rejected from them, so it's like a tease. Glasgow is like my only hope. eeeeeek!