Applicants that graduated from College 1+ year(s) ago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EReze

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How Do medical schools treat applicants that aren't necessarily non-traditional (ie: marriage/kids, over 30, or career/change of lifers) but have completed their undergraduate education more than a year ago and are still trying.

I graduated in 2003 and It looks like I will be re-applying for next year. Do schools weigh your accomplishments since graduation heavily or do they shun you if you don't at least have a post-bac. I started my Master's program late, and I am rushing to complete my classes before next summer. All this, just so that it will look like I was actually doing something to help my chances during my time out of school.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, i wouldnt worry about the whole time thing. You are right to some degree, it doesn't look the greatest if u did nothing with ur time off or worked at the corner market and thats all u did. However, u just graduated in 2003 and are doing are post bac. Did u screw up in undergrad. or are u just trying to strengthen ur app? I graduated at the beginning of 2002, applied this past year, and got in for this fall. So dont worry. By the way are u applying to both kinds of schools?

No I have a very strong undergraduate record (weak MCAT), but since it is going to be 2 years by next fall, I thought it'd be best to have somethig real to show them. Especially if your not working directly in the medical field in some capacity.

I was out of school for 5 years without any post-bac work (except for one newly required pre-req) and a little less than average MCAT score (although it was better from when I took it 6 years ago). I had some great clinical experience and a decent PS. I will be starting DO school this August. I guess what I'm trying to say; I think you have a better chance that I did.