Application Costs......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working full time while going to school to finish my prereqs, and im barely surviving on my salary, so i was wondering how much did you guys spend on your applications and everything on average on all the schools applied..... can you guys tell me how much you spent and how many schools you applied to so i can kind of have the rough estimate of how much i need to come up from now until fall 2007 when i apply......thanks

Members don't see this ad.

6000 and still counting

Members don't see this ad :)
if u r lucky enough to get many interviews, then u get to spend even more money...haha.... the price u have to pay for interviews

About $7500

But I went way overkill....

36 on the AMCAS
30 secondaries completed
17 interview invites
14 interviews attended in 9 trips

If you are very concerned about money I would suggest applying early. Hopefully you'll get an early acceptance and then you'll have to worry less about spending money on more interviews. Definitely take advantage of staying over at a medical student's place before your interview and try to group your interviews together when possible. If you haven't already tried, sign up for the fee assistance program. It helps you with application fees too. :luck:

I originally applied to 17 schools but finished 15 secondaries. I have spend about 5k so far including kaplan, new suit, interview traveling, secondaries, primaries, stamps etc. It's a crazy process but it pays off in the long run.

if u r lucky enough to get many interviews, then u get to spend even more money...haha.... the price u have to pay for interviews

hmmmmmmmm :(

About $7500

But I went way overkill....

36 on the AMCAS
30 secondaries completed
17 interview invites
14 interviews attended in 9 trips

wow......7500?? .........i dont think i can come up with that kind of money without being in heavy credit card debts.......

Hopefully you've already taken the MCAT in which case that cost is already paid for.

Apply to around 15 schools, which the average. It's 30 bucks per application on AMCAS. $450

Then, let's be generous and say you get a dozen secondaries. They're almost around $100 a pop. $1200

Now let's say you get 6 or so interviews. If you're flying, plane tickets and cab-fare (never forget about cab-fare, it's a huge cost), it can be around almost 350 or above for each one (low estimate, but we'll assume you're driving to some). $2100

So, you can spend upwards of $3,750 on the application process (depending of course on how many interviews you get), and assuming you have a suit already. One thing to do is schedule interviews smartly. I know lots of people like to build up to their top choice so they schedule them later. I scheduled it earlier, heard back, and then could safely cancel some other interviews saving me airfare to Nebraska and Oregon. Just remember, this whole thing is an investment. That combined with the fact that 4K in debt is a drop in the bucket of the 200K we'll be in at the end of this thing.